Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Releases New Steam Figures For March

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by IanS View Post
    Not that I feel this is any less than Microsoft deserves, but it would never happen unless Valve were feeling particularly suicidal as a company. The vast majority of their user base are on Windows, many have been long term supporters of the Half-Life franchise and have been waiting for years to see the next installment, imagine the public outcry from these hardcore fans if Valve pulled a stunt like that? I can tell you right now a good chunk of players would go from loyal Valve fanboys to rabid hate breeders over night. So not only would they get fewer sales but also lost mind share due to negative press and word of mouth, and that is pretty hard to bounce back from.
    I guess you're right, but it's a user's problem in a way. Valve can do some advertising, post howtos. All that users will need is 50GB of disk space. This measure may be bold, but who knows how badly Microsoft intends to screw Steam with their windows 8 app store and metro. It's not a big deal yet while people are on Windows 7, but later Microsoft will push people stronger. And after 8 there'll be 9, 10 and others.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by IanS View Post
      Not that I feel this is any less than Microsoft deserves, but it would never happen unless Valve were feeling particularly suicidal as a company. The vast majority of their user base are on Windows, many have been long term supporters of the Half-Life franchise and have been waiting for years to see the next installment, imagine the public outcry from these hardcore fans if Valve pulled a stunt like that? I can tell you right now a good chunk of players would go from loyal Valve fanboys to rabid hate breeders over night. So not only would they get fewer sales but also lost mind share due to negative press and word of mouth, and that is pretty hard to bounce back from.
      Of course you are right. But on the other hand, the user/customer wouldn't even need to know. In principle(!), you could develop for linux only, and then package a VM and small linux distro into the installer. Might be extra work for the developers, but at the significant benefit of no vendor and platform lock-in.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by not.sure View Post
        Of course you are right. But on the other hand, the user/customer wouldn't even need to know. In principle(!), you could develop for linux only, and then package a VM and small linux distro into the installer. Might be extra work for the developers, but at the significant benefit of no vendor and platform lock-in.
        I forget the details, but I remember in years past there was a distro that released livedvds with a game on it. In that case you just download the image burn it to disc and then boot straight up into the game. I don't remember which games were made available this way though.

        Comment


        • #49
          If you look into it a bit, having a Windows version of your game is one of the prereqs to getting a game on Steam. Valve as a company are commited to their customer base and since that has always been primarily a Windows users base support for that platform won't likely ever go away.

          After all Valve were the ones who came up with SteamPlay, this idea that game licenses should be portable across platforms. The same concept that is benefiting us now and in the future. Linux has enough going for it on its own to earn a place on people computers without needing Valve to pull the same dirty tricks that make most of us hate Microsoft and their ilk.

          Comment


          • #50
            There's nothing dirty in trying to be independent. Windows users won't lose anything, exept 30-50 GB of disk space.
            And Valve will do it for themselves and not for Linux.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by mike4 View Post
              Linuxgamepublishing has cleary shown that selling old games on Linux doesn't do well. Same for me, I might buy the latest FPS but don't care about 10j. old games.
              LGP hasn't shown anything at all. Other than that paying game developers and publishers to port games to Linux is a very bad business model.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by honeybadger View Post
                There's nothing dirty in trying to be independent. Windows users won't lose anything, exept 30-50 GB of disk space.
                And Valve will do it for themselves and not for Linux.
                Under that same logic Linux users lose nothing by dual-booting to play their games on Windows. Which is obviously not the case.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  Under that same logic Linux users lose nothing by dual-booting to play their games on Windows. Which is obviously not the case.
                  It's not the same thing. Windows is expensive, so you have to pay a lot of money just for OS. And Microsoft want to have their own locked application store, whereas Steam is cross-platform.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by honeybadger View Post
                    It's not the same thing. Windows is expensive, so you have to pay a lot of money just for OS.
                    But somehow I do not think it is the cost that most of us complain about, especially since most machines come pre-loaded with a Windows license anyway. Allow me to quote Ryan Gordon here:

                    The best operating system for playing games is the one that lets you keep your word processor, instant messenger, email, and music player open in the background while you play. The worst is the one that will force you to shut all that down just to screw around for a few minutes.
                    - http://www.hardware.no/artikler/ryan..._simms/68450/1
                    Why would Windows users want to put up with that anymore than we do? What makes you think they would like all the trouble involved with that when we don't?

                    Originally posted by honeybadger View Post
                    And Microsoft want to have their own locked application store, whereas Steam is cross-platform.
                    Relevance to your main point?

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by IanS View Post
                      Not that I feel this is any less than Microsoft deserves, but it would never happen unless Valve were feeling particularly suicidal as a company. The vast majority of their user base are on Windows, many have been long term supporters of the Half-Life franchise and have been waiting for years to see the next installment, imagine the public outcry from these hardcore fans if Valve pulled a stunt like that? I can tell you right now a good chunk of players would go from loyal Valve fanboys to rabid hate breeders over night. So not only would they get fewer sales but also lost mind share due to negative press and word of mouth, and that is pretty hard to bounce back from.
                      I think I've posted this many times before here, but I think they should make HL3 a one-month linux exclusive. It both makes the point, and doesn't alienate Windows users that much - they can just wait the month.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                        They need to allow Windows games to be installed on Steam.
                        No. Native ports of GTFO.

                        This was tried when Apple went X86. The Cedega guys whipped up a product called Cider that was only available to game publishers to bring games to OS X via Wine, it did not work out well. Even with all the recent progress with Wine it's still a terrible kludge.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          You are delusional if you think valve ported steam to linux for ANY reason other than their upcoming steambox initiative.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X