Heavily-Upgraded Postal Hits Steam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    There is actually a lot of depth here, and only the arrogant or ignorant refuse to see it.
    So the mini-game "Fag-hunter" in Postal 2: Complete is actually deep and not meant to offend? I enjoy urinating on cops and tossing molotovs at marching bands as much as the next guy, but your argument is just a tad ripe with the smell of bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
      So the mini-game "Fag-hunter" in Postal 2: Complete is actually deep and not meant to offend? I enjoy urinating on cops and tossing molotovs at marching bands as much as the next guy, but your argument is just a tad ripe with the smell of bullshit.
      First off, do not lecture me on bullshit as I know about it far more than you do, being a farmer.

Second, that is not in any official RWS product, but rather a third-party mod. Even "hot coffee" had some developer input from the GTA guys, but Fag Hunter has nothing to do with RWS.

And of course there is the whole other issue that you do not have to piss on cops or toss molotovs, but that is a separate point.

EDIT: A good read on Postal, if anyone is up for it: http://web.archive.org/web/200502141...opic.php?t=629
      Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 03-29-2013, 04:20 PM.

Comment

First off, do not lecture me on bullshit as I know about it far more than you do, being a farmer.
        That explains why you can't smell it.

Second, that is not in any official RWS product, but rather a third-party mod. Even "hot coffee" had some developer input from the GTA guys, but Fag Hunter has nothing to do with RWS.
        Wow, they changed the name when they included it to get around store rules, just keep on shovelin', pal. Postal is not deep and to argue that it is tells us a lot about you as a person.

Just admit that it is incredibly fun to urinate on cops and light marching bands on fire, no one will think less of you.

Comment

Wow, they changed the name when they included it to get around store rules, just keep on shovelin', pal.
          What are you on about? It was included in the AWP mod, which was not made by RWS. Now, you can say that it was included in the Fudge Pack, but RWS specifically labelled that those were fan made productions and do not reflect them. You keep digging yourself.

Postal is not deep and to argue that it is tells us a lot about you as a person. Just admit that it is incredibly fun to urinate on cops and light marching bands on fire, no one will think less of you.
          I never said it wasn't. What I did say, and still maintain, is that there is is still more to Postal, especially with the social satire parts in Postal 2 and the idea of getting into a killers head, which is especially prominent in Postal 1. You are just being deliberate dense if you people can say that Half-Life is art but Postal has nothing to offer other than bashing cops on the head (which is still fun).

Comment

Fwiw, the "Fag Hunter" arcade machine was patched out after the original retail release, because RWS decided it went too far. It wasn't a mini-game, just a texture on an arcade machine. Is it really there in the Steam version? If it's really back, let me know and I'll remove it today.

Also, "deep" and "offensive" aren't mutually exclusive. Lots of Postal 2 is _definitely_ offensive, but I feel that a lot of it works as commentary on modern life, pop culture, politics, and media.

Postal 1 is clearly less interested in these things. It's strange to think about Postal 2 being a more mature piece of art, but there it is.

--ryan.
            Last edited by icculus; 03-30-2013, 04:33 PM. Reason: fixed a typo

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              So what was upgraded about it? High res textures? Improved rendering engine? Or is this just a compatibility update to keep it running on modern systems?
              Steam Achievements, we render through OpenGL to get higher resolutions and Steam Overlay support, updated Windows/Linux/Mac ports, bug fixes, other small things. We're still planning to add widescreen support, Big Picture Mode stuff, game controller support, etc.

Eventually we'll be adding achievements and other upgrades to Postal 2, too, but we wanted to put some initial effort into Postal 1 to make it more modern before shipping it on Steam.

--ryan.

Comment

Sweet, didn't expect to see achieves for either of these titles, that is definitely something to look forward to. Haven't played the first one yet, but it does really look like the sort of game I would want to play with a controller, so that is greatly appreciated as well. Thanks for all the work you are doing on these and other titles, Ryan.

Comment

@Icculus

Do you plan to make updates for LGP version of Postal2?

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
                    @Icculus

Do you plan to make updates for LGP version of Postal2?
                    No. We can probably get you a free Steam key, though.

--ryan.

Comment

Just show a proof of purchase to Toploader over at RWS and you should get a Steam/Desura key.

I had been told that when pertinent some of the updates for the Steam releases would end up on Desura (obviously not the Steamworks integration, but some of the bug fixes). Do you know anything about that Ryan, or would I be better off asking Toploader about that again? I opt out of Steam but gladly bought the games on Desura after they were released there.

Comment

Just show a proof of purchase to Toploader over at RWS and you should get a Steam/Desura key.

I had been told that when pertinent some of the updates for the Steam releases would end up on Desura (obviously not the Steamworks integration, but some of the bug fixes). Do you know anything about that Ryan, or would I be better off asking Toploader about that again? I opt out of Steam but gladly bought the games on Desura after they were released there.
                        My focus has been on Steam. I might dump out a build with Steamworks disabled and let Toploader mess with Desura, but I'm not promising anything on his behalf, and I definitely won't do this while we're still adding improvements, or all the Desura people will get angry when a feature is added to the Steam build but hasn't migrated over yet.

Honestly, each custom build I have to make for another distributor is less time I have to make real improvements to the game. It's a problem every game developer faces, and Desura has to really start making it compelling for developers to target them, or they're going to get (ahem) steamrolled.

--ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by icculus View Post
                          Honestly, each custom build I have to make for another distributor is less time I have to make real improvements to the game. It's a problem every game developer faces, and Desura has to really start making it compelling for developers to target them, or they're going to get (ahem) steamrolled.
                          Well, for the longest time what Desura did that Steam wouldn't was actually selling Postal...

Comment

+1 for having it on Desura as well (when it's done, no need to slow you down in the development, just don't keep the wide-screen support Steam exclusive).

Comment

You can actually get that by using the latest version of the AWP mod with it, although that is not as good as what is done in the Steam version as they have improved it since then.

Comment

Now, you can say that it was included in the Fudge Pack, but RWS specifically labelled that those were fan made productions and do not reflect them. You keep digging yourself.
                                It's being offensive for the sake of being offensive.

You are just being deliberate dense if you people can say that Half-Life is art but Postal has nothing to offer other than bashing cops on the head (which is still fun).
                                This is art:

These are piles of dirt:

Please, learn to tell the difference.

Comment

Working...
                                X