Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left 4 Dead 2 Getting Closer To Release On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Left 4 Dead 2 Getting Closer To Release On Linux

    Phoronix: Left 4 Dead 2 Getting Closer To Release On Linux

    While Left 4 Dead 2 was the first Valve game I saw natively running on Linux when meeting with Valve to talk about their Linux plans early last year, the Source Engine game still hasn't been publicly released. Fortunately, the public release is getting closer...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzMjY

  • #2
    If they are going to release older games, then they need to discount them.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
      If they are going to release older games, then they need to discount them.
      The current price is already considerably lower than the launch price.

      Comment


      • #4
        Even if I really like L4D2 I would rather see DotA2 first on linux

        Comment


        • #5
          I have a feeling part of what is holding them back on L4D2 is that they probably want to release L4D first which they probably started to port much later than L4D2. From the way they were talking back in November, L4D2 was nearly ready then. Considering all the games they have ported since then it is hard to believe that nearly 4 months time wasn't enough to get L4D2 fit for release. Which makes me think they want to get L4D out first; similar to how the old Half-Life and Counter-Strike games got released first. Then again, I think Goldsrc was OpenGL based and it was likely a simpler engine than current Source so it could just be that those games made it out first because the ports were easier/quicker.

          Comment


          • #6
            I was just thinking the other day that Valve seems to be playing a game to see how many GoldSrc and Source games they can release for Linux before L4D2...

            Really, though, it will be good news for me when it does land. About half the times that I still boot into Windows are to play L4D2 with friends.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by IanS View Post
              I have a feeling part of what is holding them back on L4D2 is that they probably want to release L4D first which they probably started to port much later than L4D2. From the way they were talking back in November, L4D2 was nearly ready then. Considering all the games they have ported since then it is hard to believe that nearly 4 months time wasn't enough to get L4D2 fit for release. Which makes me think they want to get L4D out first; similar to how the old Half-Life and Counter-Strike games got released first. Then again, I think Goldsrc was OpenGL based and it was likely a simpler engine than current Source so it could just be that those games made it out first because the ports were easier/quicker.
              I'm not sure what the point would be. Valve already ported all of the original L4D's maps to L4D2, so the first game is quite obsolete now. Valve knows this, players know this.

              I find it more likely that the delay is because of GoldSrc, and the fact that L4D2 is one of the newest and most complex games using the Source engine.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                If they are going to release older games, then they need to discount them.
                They do from time to time. I got both of them for next to nothing:

                http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...879#post319879

                Comment


                • #9
                  Huh, so L4D2 is not yet released? With all the hype around it, I thought it would have been the first game to ship. Apparently not. So what was the first, then?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Huh, so L4D2 is not yet released? With all the hype around it, I thought it would have been the first game to ship. Apparently not. So what was the first, then?
                    The first to be released was TF2, which was followed (in some order) by Half-Life 1, Counter-Strike, CS:S, DoD:S, and HL2 Deathmatch.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X