Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Reveals More Steam Linux Distribution Details

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    All of this Ubuntu user bashing is not particularly helpful and pretty silly. I get it that you have plenty of contempt for Canonical for a variety of reasons, but at the end of the day, Ubuntu has brought quite a few people into the Linux fold that were never there before and arguably never would have been without it.

    For reasons that are debatable, it keeps bringing in new people at a rate MUCH higher than other distros. There's nothing stopping any of the other distros from doing this job better and yet they haven't been able to accomplish this so far. I'm not going to debate why this might be, but I will point out that there will ALWAYS be a need for distros that try to make Linux as easy as possible for people that want minimal effort to do very basic things with their computer.

    Arch may very well be awesome for you, but there's lots of people that will never EVER use it and that's just fine. There will always be a distro like Arch for you regardless of whether or not there always is a distro like Ubuntu.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by r1348 View Post
      I'm rather bothered by the amount of Ubuntu users out there.
      For the general user: Linux = Ubuntu. Frankly, they've managed to "sell" Linux.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
        It actually requires you to have a larger amount of libs on your system and can make things (unnecessarily) more complicated. So if you have less than 4GB RAM, I only see disadvantages in installing a 64bit OS. Or what advantages do you see? I see none.
        I am still in this camp here. You can all call me a cancer if you like, but I do not want the extra support burden.

        Comment


        • #49
          Even if you had 512mb of RAM, running 64bit would make sense for the performance (extra registers).

          Comment


          • #50
            I've been using Linux for a while now; I tested Slackware out a bit in the late 90's, started dual-booting around '05 and moved to Linux exclusively early in '08. I have jumped around to a dozen or so distros but spent the most time on Mint and Arch. I am comfortable with the command line, build my own computers, used to set up my own DE based around Openbox and I have a bit of experience with coding in a few languages. So I have been around a while and am not scared of getting my hands dirty under the hood, yet I choose to run Kubuntu full time now because it cuts out all the hassle and just works. While there is some fun to be had in setting everything up by hand and getting exactly what you want from a set up it comes at the cost of a fair bit of time and frustrations that are better spent on getting actual work done.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              That's what I thought, too. I thought that at least 1/4 of it might be Wine on Mac/Linux, but it's really only Linux Distros.

              To bad Arch Linux now only reports itself as Linux (64 Bit) since there is no /etc/lsb-release on fresh installations. I reinstalled to do a UEFI install now I'm not an Arch User anymore in the eyes of Steam....
              You may add a bug report if this is true?

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by akincer View Post
                All of this Ubuntu user bashing is not particularly helpful and pretty silly. I get it that you have plenty of contempt for Canonical for a variety of reasons, but at the end of the day, Ubuntu has brought quite a few people into the Linux fold that were never there before and arguably never would have been without it.

                For reasons that are debatable, it keeps bringing in new people at a rate MUCH higher than other distros. There's nothing stopping any of the other distros from doing this job better and yet they haven't been able to accomplish this so far. I'm not going to debate why this might be, but I will point out that there will ALWAYS be a need for distros that try to make Linux as easy as possible for people that want minimal effort to do very basic things with their computer.

                Arch may very well be awesome for you, but there's lots of people that will never EVER use it and that's just fine. There will always be a distro like Arch for you regardless of whether or not there always is a distro like Ubuntu.
                I didnt read anyone here bashing Ubuntu. I for one am glad that it exists. If it wasnt for Ubuntu the rest of us wouldnt have Steam. Ubuntu exists for people that want to use it and for those people that dont then there are better distros for them to choose from.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  If it wasnt for Microsoft Windows 8 the rest of us wouldnt have Steam.
                  Fixed that for you. Yes there were really early builds before Windows 8 came out but given the state the Beta was in it's pretty clear it was more or less just being kicked around as a pet project until 8 showed up. Which means it's not due to a "We Love Linux" response but a "We hate Windows 8" response.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    I didnt read anyone here bashing Ubuntu.
                    I specifically said "Ubuntu user". Specifically, comments 8, 10, 17, 30 and 33.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by akincer View Post
                      All of this Ubuntu user bashing is not particularly helpful and pretty silly. I get it that you have plenty of contempt for Canonical for a variety of reasons, but at the end of the day, Ubuntu has brought quite a few people into the Linux fold that were never there before and arguably never would have been without it.

                      For reasons that are debatable, it keeps bringing in new people at a rate MUCH higher than other distros. There's nothing stopping any of the other distros from doing this job better and yet they haven't been able to accomplish this so far. I'm not going to debate why this might be, but I will point out that there will ALWAYS be a need for distros that try to make Linux as easy as possible for people that want minimal effort to do very basic things with their computer.

                      Arch may very well be awesome for you, but there's lots of people that will never EVER use it and that's just fine. There will always be a distro like Arch for you regardless of whether or not there always is a distro like Ubuntu.
                      The way Ubuntu does this is by actually not proclaiming that it's Linux.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by IanS View Post
                        I've been using Linux for a while now; I tested Slackware out a bit in the late 90's, started dual-booting around '05 and moved to Linux exclusively early in '08. I have jumped around to a dozen or so distros but spent the most time on Mint and Arch. I am comfortable with the command line, build my own computers, used to set up my own DE based around Openbox and I have a bit of experience with coding in a few languages. So I have been around a while and am not scared of getting my hands dirty under the hood, yet I choose to run Kubuntu full time now because it cuts out all the hassle and just works. While there is some fun to be had in setting everything up by hand and getting exactly what you want from a set up it comes at the cost of a fair bit of time and frustrations that are better spent on getting actual work done.
                        Yeap, sounds about the way it went for me as well. Though I'm on openSUSE usually, with a few Gentoo installs where it actually makes sense (embedded/single-task devices).

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                          It's somewhat annoying to me that the major distros even keep making 32-bit x86 releases. I was likewise annoyed that Windows didn't go 64-bit only by Win8, or even as far ago as Vista. OSX is the only major OS that only ships a 64-bit only OS these days.
                          There's a lot of Netbooks and Nettops that have Intel Atom CPUs (which have a lot of 32 bit models).

                          Now I'm writting this on an Asus EEE Top with an Intel Atom N270 (32 bit) on Debian GNU/Linux 7.0.

                          This machine originally was shipped with Windows XP Home; and the performance was poor.
                          I change that partition to Windows 8 and now it goes rather well.

                          Intel also released its "Core Duo" after Pentium IV and before "Core 2 Duo".
                          Core Duo is a capable proccesor, but it's 32 bit too.

                          So, there's still market for such proccesors. Maybe not for gaming but for desktop.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by akincer View Post
                            I specifically said "Ubuntu user". Specifically, comments 8, 10, 17, 30 and 33.
                            Hold on... How are any of those posts bashing Ubuntu users? Please explain. I think it is plainly obvious that in all cases it was said that it wasnt all users, but rather an unavoidable subset of users that tend to be attracted to Ubuntu. That it is not a bad thing, but rather that it is a good thing. How is that bashing in any way?

                            You made the claim now you need to back it up.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                              nah... I say let em come... The bigger the userbase the better. Even if the usebase is completely retarded it doesnt matter, they can use their distro and we can use ours.
                              As can be plainly read I said that -if- a userbase was completely retarded they can still use the distro of their choice. I didnt say that there -were- all completely retarded.. I just made a hypothetical statement. If you are incapable of understanding context then that is your fault. If you read more into what was said then what was actually said then that is your fault.

                              Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                              Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not calling Ubuntu users retarded. Instead I'm saying that a certain percentage of any userbase is going to be retarded, and lets face it, most of that group will be using Ubuntu.

                              I guess as a function of its target market it simply attracts a larger percentage of retarded users than other distributions. Before Ubuntu it was Mandrake. It simply is a matter of what retarded people think is going to be the easiest to use. And I'm not saying that retarded users are bad... As a matter of fact I welcome them. The bigger the userbase the better, retarded or not.

                              I will stick to the distro I prefer and their presence will attract more software development which I can benefit from and I still won't have to deal with any of them. It isnt like Windows where you only get what you're given... I can use what I prefer and they can use what they prefer.... And in the end when software and games are made available that wouldnt have otherwise we all benefit.
                              Again obviously I stated beyond the shadow of a doubt that I wasnt refering to all Ubuntu users. Simply a subset of those users that tend to be attracted to it due to the market that Ubuntu targets. If you want to use Ubuntu, then please feel free to do so... It was MADE for you.... How is your choice to use what you want to use in any way considered bashing? I suppose you think that if your choice was taken away you would think that was -cool- huh?

                              Originally posted by alcalde View Post
                              It's still somewhat of an offensive phrase. I prefer to put it this way: "Ubuntu is the AOL of Linux". Or as the joke goes: "What's the difference between an Ubuntu user and an AOL user? Ten years. "
                              How was this considered bashing? He simply made a comparison to a completely different product that was targeted at the same type of user. It is a perfectly valid comparison... If you don't like it then that is your problem.. Facts are still going to be facts whether you like them or not.

                              Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                              Of course I respect it. The best thing about Linux is that they are free to choose what they want. If people want to choose Ubuntu then they can feel free to do so, and the more the merrier. I' would love to see market share rise significantly. If people like you choose to shun linux because of its diversity then don't blame me... That is your opinion not mine.... The more people that choose to use Ubuntu or any distro the better it is for everyone.

                              I welcome diversity. I'd love to see more of it. Diversity comes in all forms... Retards and Geniuses. Biased and Unbiased. There is nothing you or I can do about it that is just the way it is.

                              It doesnt mean that the majority of Ubuntu users are retarded... Quite the contrary as a matter of fact... But it does mean the the majority of retarded users are Ubuntu users. If for no other reason than it is the easiest distro and most commonly available one. I say so be it, retarded or not they are perfectly welcome.
                              So you mean to tell me that defending someones choice to use whatever they prefer to use is in some way considered bashing? You have to be one of the most illiterate jackholes I've ever run into on any forum. You seem to be completely incapable of comprehending context.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                                Fixed that for you. Yes there were really early builds before Windows 8 came out but given the state the Beta was in it's pretty clear it was more or less just being kicked around as a pet project until 8 showed up. Which means it's not due to a "We Love Linux" response but a "We hate Windows 8" response.
                                That may be true, but in the end it was Ubuntu they chose to implement on. But it works fine on Gentoo so I really don't mind.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X