Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Gamers Make Up ~2% Of Valve's Steam Users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux Gamers Make Up ~2% Of Valve's Steam Users

    Phoronix: Linux Gamers Make Up ~2% Of Valve's Steam Users

    With the start of a new month, Valve's popular hardware survey has been updated with the latest software/hardware stats about their millions of customers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxNTQ

  • #2
    Actually, Linux is standing at 2.84% if we include "Other" which I suspect is Steam counting wine usage and/or some other linux distros.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by who_me View Post
      Actually, Linux is standing at 2.84% if we include "Other" which I suspect is Steam counting wine usage and/or some other linux distros.
      There are also MacOS versions in "other".

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
        There are also MacOS versions in "other".
        I'd put at least half of "Other" in Linux. There are probably more smaller distros and Linux Wine users makeing up the "other" category than Mac people.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by who_me View Post
          Actually, Linux is standing at 2.84% if we include "Other" which I suspect is Steam counting wine usage and/or some other linux distros.
          I suppose Wine counts as windows xp 32 bit mainly.
          The "Other" includes a variety of Linux 32 bit distros plus some OSX versions.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            I suppose Wine counts as windows xp 32 bit mainly.
            The "Other" includes a variety of Linux 32 bit distros plus some OSX versions.
            Not sure. Steam is very aware of wine.

            Code:
            Operating System Version:
                Windows XP (32 bit)
                Wine Version: wine-1.5.15-7148-g76cd9bf
                NTFS:  Supported
            This is one install of Steam running in its own Crossover bottle. It has Borderlands 2 and Dota 2 installed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              I suppose Wine counts as windows xp 32 bit mainly.
              The "Other" includes a variety of Linux 32 bit distros plus some OSX versions.
              Well in their survey they're able to detect if you are using Wine. I took part in two of them in 2012 and both had 'wine' where the operating sytem stood. So I guess they're counting those either as 'Others' or 'Linux'.

              Comment


              • #8
                The Linux Steam users will soon bypass the OS X users.

                Code:
                Title                       Feb     Jan     Dec
                
                Windows 8 (all)              9.63%   8.76%   6.93%
                Windows 7 (all)             69.67%  69.73%  70.47%
                Windows Vista (all)          5.84%   6.02%   6.96%
                Windows XP (all)             9.33%  10.05%  10.44%
                OS X (all)                   3.07%   3.56%   3.72%
                Ubuntu (all)                 1.71%   1.12%   0.80%
                Ubuntu + Other                       1.88%   1.51%
                Linux                        2.02%   1.12%   0.80%
                Linux + Other                2.84%   1.88%   1.51%
                
                Rounding errors              0.04%   0.03%
                
                
                Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit          0.71%   0.43%   0.29%
                Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS 64 bit    0.31%
                Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS           0.20%
                Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit    0.11%   0.33%   0.26%
                Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS                   0.17%   0.13%
                Ubuntu 12.10                 0.38%   0.19%   0.12%
                Linux Mint 14 Nadia 64 bit   0.17%
                Linux 64 bit                 0.14%
                Other                        0.82%   0.76%   0.71%
                Disclaimer: There might be errors.
                A minor amount of "other" might be OS X users

                Comment


                • #9
                  I really hope Valve can read these numbers, and read them well. For one month Linux reached ~2% without AAA titles (except Valve's own). No Crysis, no Dead Space, no CoD, no Diablo, not even RAGE.
                  On top of that, with shitty Catalyst driver and sub-optimal FOSS drivers. Imagine what could happen with quality drivers and AAA titles.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Arch 64 is probably under Linux 64 in survey?

                    Steam system information.
                    ===================
                    Operating System Version:
                    Linux (64 bit)
                    Kernel Name: Linux
                    Kernel Version: 3.7.4-1-ARCH

                    At least that's what I would of guessed based on how steam sees it.

                    Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    I really hope Valve can read these numbers, and read them well. For one month Linux reached ~2% without AAA titles (except Valve's own). No Crysis, no Dead Space, no CoD, no Diablo, not even RAGE.
                    On top of that, with shitty Catalyst driver and sub-optimal FOSS drivers. Imagine what could happen with quality drivers and AAA titles.
                    Wow, yeah that's what I felt like saying, right on.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X