Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Works For Nintendo Gamecube Emulator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wayland Works For Nintendo Gamecube Emulator

    Phoronix: Wayland Works For Nintendo Gamecube Emulator

    The Dolphin emulator for the Nintendo GameCube has been ported to function as a Wayland client. Dolphin now works as a Wayland client and it also supports threaded EGL/GLSL. This is also quite likely the first game-related software that works either under X11 or Wayland/Weston using the same application binary...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwNDE

  • #2
    That looks super nice.

    I really have to dig out my old N64 again with Ocarina of Time. One of the best games of all times.

    Comment


    • #3
      Tiny-ish detail: Dolphin isn't only a Gamecube emulator, it also supports Wii and Triforce (arcade machine based on GC hardware) emulation.

      Comment


      • #4
        he at first i thourght some one ported wayland to the gamecube

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
          he at first i thourght some one ported wayland to the gamecube
          Entirely possible, but wouldn't make much sense. It's such a limited machine.

          Comment


          • #6
            The GameCube is roughly as powerful as a 2001 iMac, I know of a company that still has 3 of those in use to this day...

            Comment


            • #7
              The thing has 24mb of usable ram. I ran linux on one.

              The cpu/gpu are decent, but the lack of ram kills most uses.

              Comment


              • #8
                The ~1GB limit of the G3 iMac is one of there biggest limiting factors so yeah 24MB would severely limit it's usefulness. Can i have the Ethernet and modem adapters connected at the same time?

                Comment


                • #9
                  No, IIRC they use the same slot, so you can only use one or the other.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Another tiny-ish detail: Any Wayland implementation that runs on GC could be ran on Wii hardware with close to zero modifications because the Wii's GPU shares 100% of the register set with the GC's GPU.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Not related to this article, but how does Wayland handle multiple screens in "clone mode" with different subpixel geometries?

                      If the client is responsible for antialising and subpixel rendering or some kind of transfor, if you have different kind of monitors connected to your graphics card or some kind of transformation on one of them, the image will be fucked up for one of them.

                      Rendering performed by clients should be abstracted from output devices (the way postscript is for printers) and actual rendering should happen on the server.

                      There's a reason X11 is complex, and I'm growing less convinced that Wayland is a good solution for Linux graphics.
                      Last edited by newwen; 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by newwen View Post
                        Not related to this article, but how does Wayland handle multiple screens in "clone mode" with different subpixel geometries?

                        If the client is responsible for antialising and subpixel rendering or some kind of transfor, if you have different kind of monitors connected to your graphics card or some kind of transformation on one of them, the image will be fucked up for one of them.

                        Rendering performed by clients should be abstracted from output devices (the way postscript is for printers) and actual rendering should happen on the server.

                        There's a reason X11 is complex, and I'm growing less convinced that Wayland is a good solution for Linux graphics.
                        There is no clone mode at the moment and I hope they handle it differently than x11. I just like to have a window with the same resolution of the external output on the first output. This would be much saner.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by giselher View Post
                          There is no clone mode at the moment and I hope they handle it differently than x11. I just like to have a window with the same resolution of the external output on the first output. This would be much saner.
                          So rame image but not nesseserely the same resolution (black border)?
                          This sounds a bit like how KDE is planning to do it. You should be able to get it with Xorg to if you just specify the position of the screens to be on the same x,y

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                            So rame image but not nesseserely the same resolution (black border)?
                            This sounds a bit like how KDE is planning to do it. You should be able to get it with Xorg to if you just specify the position of the screens to be on the same x,y
                            I was actually thinking about different images/workspaces on the different outputs just with a window where we can see the other output. Also this window should be special, so that we can drag&drop other windows into it and move the windows in the window of the other output (this should be possible because there is input redirection in wayland/weston which was impossible for x11). I hope you get what I mean.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X