Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Works For Nintendo Gamecube Emulator

Phoronix: Wayland Works For Nintendo Gamecube Emulator

The Dolphin emulator for the Nintendo GameCube has been ported to function as a Wayland client. Dolphin now works as a Wayland client and it also supports threaded EGL/GLSL. This is also quite likely the first game-related software that works either under X11 or Wayland/Weston using the same application binary...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwNDE

That looks super nice.

I really have to dig out my old N64 again with Ocarina of Time. One of the best games of all times.

Comment

Tiny-ish detail: Dolphin isn't only a Gamecube emulator, it also supports Wii and Triforce (arcade machine based on GC hardware) emulation.

Comment

he at first i thourght some one ported wayland to the gamecube

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
          he at first i thourght some one ported wayland to the gamecube
          Entirely possible, but wouldn't make much sense. It's such a limited machine.

Comment

The GameCube is roughly as powerful as a 2001 iMac, I know of a company that still has 3 of those in use to this day...

Comment

The thing has 24mb of usable ram. I ran linux on one.

The cpu/gpu are decent, but the lack of ram kills most uses.

Comment

The ~1GB limit of the G3 iMac is one of there biggest limiting factors so yeah 24MB would severely limit it's usefulness. Can i have the Ethernet and modem adapters connected at the same time?

Comment

No, IIRC they use the same slot, so you can only use one or the other.

Comment

Another tiny-ish detail: Any Wayland implementation that runs on GC could be ran on Wii hardware with close to zero modifications because the Wii's GPU shares 100% of the register set with the GC's GPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X