No announcement yet.

Counter-Strike Source Now On Steam For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Closure and Psychonauts can be installed now as well. They show size data when I hit the install button anyhow. Got Closure installing now to see if it runs or not. Hopefully it doesn't end up like Cave Story+ which installed just fine but then complained about missing executable when I try to launch it.

Comment

well, I'd think that Half-Life 2 is next up. Just like they did with CS 1.6 and HL 1.

Also another multi-platform game is currently trying to hit Steam: Vendetta Online, would be nice if some people could upvote it. -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=124255217

about csgo, it uses flash to render the hud, so i dont know if it will be ported at all
      so? Adobe Flash works under Linux since ages.

Comment

Closure runs great, so that is one more game for Linux on Steam. I have Counter-Strike installing now so I can't check to see if Psychonauts installs and runs properly just yet. If anyone has tried today it would be awesome if you can update the rest of us here.

On a side note, what's with the 30 min edit time limit? Would of added this stuff to my last post but the site wouldn't let me. Oh well.

[Edit: hehe, this time I got in on time. According to this thread on the Steam forums it seems Psychonauts does in fact install and run properly through Steam on Linux. http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...088163907171/]
        Last edited by IanS; 06 February 2013, 04:19 AM.

Comment

The year

Exciting! Steam are doing a great job of delivering games. We are still early into the beta and look at the games we already have access to: TF2, Serious Sam 3, CS 1.6, CS Source, etc. More then most of us anticipated. To me, this is the year of the Linux desktop when I can finally throw out my Windows partition which is only kept for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
            I don't actually play Counter-Strike of any kind (though if they have a sale and they are really cheap I may be tempted) but this makes me so very happy. Throughout the Steam Linux beta I've noticed how many fellow users have been wanting a port of this, so it's great news and a great sign. Valve's Linux team are doing a great job.

Define cheap? I bought the lot of them for $29 US. I actually owned CS but wanted to show my love for Linux just bought them all considering it was only ~10 more than CS:GO by itself.

This sucks, wish this came out while I was waiting for TESV-Dragonborn (PlayOnLinux with steam version works flawless)... Now my spare time is shot to shit.
            Last edited by nightmarex; 06 February 2013, 06:24 AM.

Comment

CS1.6/HL1 require you enable Beta software in steam. CS:S and TF2 are fully released and out of beta status. Looks like Valve are also beta releasing HL1/CS1.6 on OSX at the moment. Also why wouldn't Valve have access to Flash for Linux? Even if the CS:GO HUD is written in flash, they should be able to port it easily enough. it's not like Flash doesn't exist on Linux. Considering they've reached out to Intel and many other companies it's a safe bet that they'd bring a flash HUD over.
              Last edited by DMJC; 06 February 2013, 06:23 AM.

Comment

This is pretty awesome, even though I rarely play CS anymore. I've been trying out TF2 just to see how it runs, and it's nice and smooth in 1080p on my A10-5800k. I hope they start porting more recent stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                  CS1.6/HL1 require you enable Beta software in steam.
                  What does that mean for the Steam Linux client?
                  I thought your automatically subscribed to use beta software right now...

Comment

Counter-Strike 1.6 might need some sort of beta activation, don't know for sure since I don't own the game. Half-life though didn't need anything special, I bought it when I heard the news on here about it going beta for Linux and it showed up in the library right away and installed just fine with no extra steps on my part. Both are now in the Steam store in the Linux section as of yesterday, though the source version of CS isn't showing up there yet.

Looks like Spectraball was also added to the store for Linux yesterday, the Linux library is starting to come along a bit. Now up to 48 games (minus the dlc stuff) plus several others that don't show up in the store as linux games but can be installed and played none the less. I just hope they get on with the official release soon, some of their other games I have been a lot more interested in playing than CS including some non-Valve games that have Steam Linux ports pretty much done but are waiting for the official release to add their games to the library.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                      well, I'd think that Half-Life 2 is next up. Just like they did with CS 1.6 and HL 1.

Also another multi-platform game is currently trying to hit Steam: Vendetta Online, would be nice if some people could upvote it. -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=124255217

so? Adobe Flash works under Linux since ages.
                      have you ever used flash under linux? its a mess and it has always been

Comment

Working...
                      X