Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter-Strike Source Now On Steam For Linux

Phoronix: Counter-Strike Source Now On Steam For Linux

Counter-Strike 1.6 for Linux was released towards the end of January while this evening Counter-Strike Source has finally been brought to Linux over Steam...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wonderful news!

That's awesome news!

Now I really can't wait for Counter Strike: Global Offensive. Stopped playing after 30 hours on windows, as I wanted to play on Ubuntu back when it first came out. Couldn't get it to work in Wine with AMD drivers.
    This is really something to look forward to!

Comment

CS:S is soooo much better native, works nicely out of the box. I'm using the AMD prop legacy driver, which for the first time doesn't crash all the time . I was previously only able to play with the open source drivers ~ I will still try them next and see how they handle it.

I still haven't quite gotten TF2 to work properly... it's so close, but it's also much slower to load than CS:S.

Comment

Plays great, too! I haven't really played Source seriously in years, can't wait for GO but Source is still better than nothing. Impressive cadence too, HL1/CS just came out!

Comment

Awesome Valve!

When they released CS 1.6 for Linux I bought it again and started playing for the first time in years. Awesome game, really enjoying it (even though the last update broke the sound :-/).
          I never played much of CS:S in the past, so I'm more than happy to buy this one as well. Can't wait to play! (and I really can't wait to play CS:GO, which i hope is on the way!)

Comment

I guess Half-Life and CS 1.6 is US only or something like that. 'Cos I don't get them in my list. CS:Source though, I can install.

Comment

I don't actually play Counter-Strike of any kind (though if they have a sale and they are really cheap I may be tempted) but this makes me so very happy. Throughout the Steam Linux beta I've noticed how many fellow users have been wanting a port of this, so it's great news and a great sign. Valve's Linux team are doing a great job.

Comment

im from europe and i can see both hl1 and cs1.6

about csgo, it uses flash to render the hud, so i dont know if it will be ported at all

Comment

Originally posted by AnorexiasGrizzli View Post
                  about csgo, it uses flash to render the hud
                  citation? I just have a hard time believing that. Why on god's green earth anyone would use Flash to render the hud in a AAA video game is beyond me.
                  If it is true, I really hope they're looking into alternatives to Flash for their HUD. CS:GO is, and has always been, my #1 anticipated game for Linux (if it's in the works). It would be really sad to hear it isn't being ported due to something like that.

Comment

Also if you Google 'csgo flash hud' you will find quite a few relevant matches also i used to have a csgo server and i did quite a few custom Flash loading screens for our custom maps

Comment

Working...
                    X