Egosoft Gets To Releasing Their Games On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by strcat View Post
    However, I think most games (at least ones from major developers) do opt-in to using the Steamworks DRM (I don't have statistics). You can still play them without internet access, but Steam has to be running and logged in (there's an offline mode).
    Yeah, that's a no go for me and I wouldn't register there just for a minority of games which probably one needs to fish out from their list manually without knowing beforehand if they use DRM or not. I'd wait for X3 for Linux to be sold somewhere outside Steam.
    Last edited by shmerl; 01-28-2013, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Yeah, that's a no go for me and I wouldn't register there just for a minority of games which probably one needs to fish out from their list manually without knowing beforehand if they use DRM or not. I'd wait for X3 for Linux to be sold somewhere outside Steam.
      And you are not alone, especially as I am under the impression such things are not clearly labelled.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
        Dammit !. Have the LGP port not the win version.
        Shame as x3 don't like ATI/AMD cards.
        I own an AMD Radeon HD 6870 card and the new X3R Linux beta works like a charm with current mesa drivers.

Comment

Gaah.
          I've got X2/Linux and X3:R/Linux (LGP) and X3:TC running via wine.
          All work just fine on Fedora 17/x86_64 (I manually replaced the SDL and OpenAL static libraries to the OS supplied ones in-order to get working 5.1 sound).

I may re-buy X3/Linux via Steam to support the developers.
          Hopefully X3:TC and X3:AP will be next in Egosoft's port list.

- Gilboa
          DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
          SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
          BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
          LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

Comment

I didn't include any steam libraries with X3R, so it's clean unless valve modifies the binary when it's uploaded. I haven't tested how the downloaded version yields to copy and pasting, try asking here http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=332472 and if no one answers I'll check it.
            TC and AP do include steam functionality so I'm not sure how it'll look there. Egosoft has a general policy of removing any copyprotection a year after release, though don't quote me on that I didn't get to look into TC and AP too much yet (hell I don't know most of R still, it's a non-trivial amount of code;p).

And yeah TC and AP are generally scheduled after R, so unless I get fired or some serious issues come up expect those after R is finished.

Comment

Originally posted by timon37 View Post
              I didn't include any steam libraries with X3R, so it's clean unless valve modifies the binary when it's uploaded. I haven't tested how the downloaded version yields to copy and pasting, try asking here http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=332472 and if no one answers I'll check it.
              TC and AP do include steam functionality so I'm not sure how it'll look there. Egosoft has a general policy of removing any copyprotection a year after release, though don't quote me on that I didn't get to look into TC and AP too much yet (hell I don't know most of R still, it's a non-trivial amount of code;p).

And yeah TC and AP are generally scheduled after R, so unless I get fired or some serious issues come up expect those after R is finished.
              You're my hero

- Gilboa
              DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
              SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
              BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
              LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

Comment

Working...
              X