Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Counter-Strike 1.6 Also Native To Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Fahk I played this game waaay to much... It's about to suck more life from me. God damn you Valve... and thanks.
    DE_rats had to be the best map ever!

    Comment


    • #12
      Stuck in "item paused on 100% in my game library and when i try to run it it says "Content still encrypted'" either joining SteamPipe or not, and this on Windows too...

      One linux user mused that maybe "CS 1.6 does not work on Linux without owning Half Life at this point." meh

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Licaon View Post
        Stuck in "item paused on 100% in my game library and when i try to run it it says "Content still encrypted'" either joining SteamPipe or not, and this on Windows too...

        One linux user mused that maybe "CS 1.6 does not work on Linux without owning Half Life at this point." meh
        This is correct - right now there is a (bugged, shouldn't be the case) dependency on owning Half-Life. Buy that, or wait for them to fix the issue

        Comment


        • #14
          I noticed that too, first it was downloaded to common/Counter-Strike, then the binaries got removed from there and it was downloaded to common/Half-Life as addon - but you needed to uninstall Counter-Strike first from the menu. It still does not run with 1024x600 res fullscreen. In case you you set language to English but your system locale is not en_US.UTF-8 you should add that as well as alternative otherwise you get an error popup.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by directhex View Post
            This is correct - right now there is a (bugged, shouldn't be the case) dependency on owning Half-Life. Buy that, or wait for them to fix the issue
            There are people with CS who don't own Half-Life ?!

            Does this mean owners oh Half Life can automatically play cs without having payed for it?
            Just like back in the day, I had the free mod versions of DOD, CS, TFC etc all installed on Half-Life WON and when I registered Half-Life it counted my mods as well and gave me the retail steam versions.

            Comment


            • #16
              Anyone tried it with Intel graphics (Gen4)? I would assume SB would run it, but I am hoping a pre-SB (gen4 i5) might be able to run these older games. I tried the TF demo and it pretty much was unplayable on my laptop, the game would just blank screen on startup and not load. Also, anyone have any experiance/benchmarks or anything on SB or IB ? Are those actually good enough on Linux to play any of Valve's games?

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by kickback999 View Post
                There are people with CS who don't own Half-Life ?!
                People who bought CS as a standalone product on Steam, yes.

                Does this mean owners oh Half Life can automatically play cs without having payed for it?
                Nope - they need to have a license to Counter-Strike in their Steam account

                Just like back in the day, I had the free mod versions of DOD, CS, TFC etc all installed on Half-Life WON and when I registered Half-Life it counted my mods as well and gave me the retail steam versions.
                All retail Half-Life and standalone retail Counter-Strike keys can be activated on Steam for a *complete* set of GoldSrc games.

                This workaround was used for two reasons:
                • Steam's key entry system did not support the key format used by Opposing Force, so they just gave it for free to everyone who owned HL1
                • There's no actual difference between retail HL1 and retail CS keys, so Valve treats them as the same thing

                It was easiest to just say "balls to it, anyone who owns one thing owns ALL THE THINGS" than find a more precise way of giving people only what they paid for.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                  Anyone tried it with Intel graphics (Gen4)? I would assume SB would run it, but I am hoping a pre-SB (gen4 i5) might be able to run these older games. I tried the TF demo and it pretty much was unplayable on my laptop, the game would just blank screen on startup and not load. Also, anyone have any experiance/benchmarks or anything on SB or IB ? Are those actually good enough on Linux to play any of Valve's games?
                  Half-Life is from 1998, it should run happily on a shoe, let alone on Intel graphics

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                    Anyone tried it with Intel graphics (Gen4)? I would assume SB would run it, but I am hoping a pre-SB (gen4 i5) might be able to run these older games. I tried the TF demo and it pretty much was unplayable on my laptop, the game would just blank screen on startup and not load. Also, anyone have any experiance/benchmarks or anything on SB or IB ? Are those actually good enough on Linux to play any of Valve's games?
                    Do you have S3TC installed?

                    http://gamesystemrequirements.com/games.php?id=10

                    It will run on a Pentium 133Mhz 24Mb of PC66 SDRAM and an 8Mb GPU. It doesn't even need MMX. You should be able to play it in complete emulation...

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by directhex View Post
                      This is correct - right now there is a (bugged, shouldn't be the case) dependency on owning Half-Life. Buy that, or wait for them to fix the issue
                      it's fixed now. yay

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X