Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Pushes Out Half-Life For Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #71
    but.. hunger need TFC to play, not HL

    Comment


    • #72
      Originally posted by ronybeck View Post

      <snip>

      Apologies to Entropy if he took my comments to heart. Nothing against you mate. But I do have plenty against the corps that didn't see value in me and the thousands of other Linux customers until the Windows 8 catastrophe happened. I think that Microsoft's recent failings are a greater catalyst than people here would like to admit. No matter how grateful we might be that Steam is here.
      I just want to say it's nice and refreshing to see someone explain themselves on Phoronix forums without being needlessly narky and/or passive aggressive heh. Kudos.

      And I agree the original HL would have been nice if it was around much earlier, though I guess better late then never hehe.

      Comment


      • #73
        Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
        I just want to say it's nice and refreshing to see someone explain themselves on Phoronix forums without being needlessly narky and/or passive aggressive heh. Kudos.
        I couldn't agree more.

        Comment


        • #74
          It must have supported the opposing force cd keys, as I have 2 sets of goldsrc games and the only 2 cd keys i had were half life and opposing force?
          As for the mods issue, I have tried azure sheep. It has the same error I get when trying to play blueshift.
          I think mods use the dll/so from the other valve games, e.g. blue shift for azure sheep, tfc for they hunger and a load for Half-Life.

          Will have to try one that is likely to use the half life .so files?
          Last edited by kickback999; 01-26-2013, 04:58 PM.

          Comment


          • #75
            You will have to get the source code for the mod and compile it in to a .so file. Or hope that the mod creator will do this them self so you can download the .so from them. Mod porting should be fairly trivial if the sdk they use are up to date.

            Comment


            • #76
              Ah, I haven't looked a single bit in the mods and didn't know they use compiled code. Perhaps back then it mattered performance wise.

              Comment


              • #77
                Shared Libraries

                Goldsrc and Source use the same module loading design. Thus source mods will have the same porting issue. Both engines use compiled libraries as dynamically loadable modules. The engine loads the modules at run-time and executes them. The SDKs do allow for some game logic to be scripted, but the mods themselves are always C++. In the case of something like Natural Selection 2, where the mod is completely written in Lua, this wouldn't be a problem.

                Comment


                • #78
                  Originally posted by Rhone View Post
                  Goldsrc and Source use the same module loading design. Thus source mods will have the same porting issue. Both engines use compiled libraries as dynamically loadable modules. The engine loads the modules at run-time and executes them. The SDKs do allow for some game logic to be scripted, but the mods themselves are always C++. In the case of something like Natural Selection 2, where the mod is completely written in Lua, this wouldn't be a problem.
                  IIRC, the Black Mesa developers said it's unlikely the port will be released to Mac and Linux.
                  First off the SDKs are not available. Additionally, the mod contains a lot of platform dependent stuff (read Windows).

                  Comment


                  • #79
                    Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    IIRC, the Black Mesa developers said it's unlikely the port will be released to Mac and Linux.
                    First off the SDKs are not available. Additionally, the mod contains a lot of platform dependent stuff (read Windows).
                    They will port it if it's easy.
                    Originally posted by http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/General_FAQ#Will_Black_Mesa_be_ported_to_Xbox360.2 C_Mac_or_another_platform.3F
                    Linux will be supported only if developers could port the codebase over easily [11].

                    Comment


                    • #80
                      Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                      They will port it if it's easy.
                      Sounds even better when quoted directly:
                      If we can port our codebase over easily, we will probably support Linux.
                      http://forums.blackmesasource.com/sh...ostcount=20232

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X