Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCW Zero: Another Linux Game Console Attempt

Phoronix: GCW Zero: Another Linux Game Console Attempt

Joining the array of Linux game console attempts is GCW Zero, an open-source game hand-held console. This isn't an Android-based solution but rather a pure Linux game console...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That thing sounded great until I hit the display specs.
    VGA resolution, really? Do I miss something?

Comment

It's intended for retro gaming, so the resolution isn't seen to be a major issue.

One small correction though: VGA is 640x480, so this is one quarter of that. I still remember playing the original Tomb Raider in 320x240 because my computer wasn't fast enough for high resolution mode (does anybody else remember Cirrus Logic graphics cards?)

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
        (does anybody else remember Cirrus Logic graphics cards?)
        I hear you. Cirrus Logic, Trident, S3, 256-512kb VRAM, slow ISA, even screen refreshes were slow, 13h is all one could hope for.
        Remember installing PCI VGA one day(forgot which one) and getting 640x480@65k on 14" CRT in win 3.11. That was simply astonishing...

Comment

It's intended for retro gaming, so the resolution isn't seen to be a major issue.
          Still, a 640x480 display would make way more sense to me and shouldn't be that expensive.
          There are plenty of mid-90s (retro) games which featured that resolution.
          Furthermore, upscaling from 320x240 is trivial and loss-free.

One small correction though: VGA is 640x480
          Thanks. Strange, I'd bet back in those days VGA referred to 320x240, wheres SVGA referred to 640x480.
          Now I read (Wikipedia) that the former is called QVGA while SVGA refers to a resolution of 800x600.

Comment

Meh.

Not interested...

Unless it will be able to run games like RedEclipse, UrbanTerror, Doom3, Quake IV etc...

Comment

To be fair to the Pandora, it was a true grass roots effort and they had a bloody hard slog getting it out the door. It's a miracle it was even released at all. They weren't lucky enough to have Kickstarter in the beginning. It would probably be more popular if it weren't so expensive. I don't know what the Zero will retail at but I wouldn't be surprised if it were in the same ballpark.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                Thanks. Strange, I'd bet back in those days VGA referred to 320x240, wheres SVGA referred to 640x480.
                Now I read (Wikipedia) that the former is called QVGA while SVGA refers to a resolution of 800x600.
                IIRC VGA was 640x480 16 colour, PGC was 640x480 256 colour, and SVGA is usually 800x600. I think XGA was next at 1024x768.

EDIT... changed original 640x400 for VGA to 640x480. The 320x200 res was for 256 colours, and it used 400 active lines in text mode, but I guess it always was 640x480 in graphics mode. Also corrected "PGA" to "PGC".
                Last edited by bridgman; 13 January 2013, 02:15 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Well, I wish them the best of luck, but it seems a little out of time for 2013.

Why not do basically an android phone minus the phone part, but adding a decent d-pad, and the other keys?
                  Basically a modern version of the Tapwave Zodiac?

The Tapwave Zodiac was an excellent idea, but a bit ahead of its time. I can't see why it wouldn't work with android, and there'd be lots of games out of the box!

* - Fsck the zodiac came out in 2003!? I'm getting old

Comment

Hello. I'm a developer involved in the GCW Zero project and I have a prototype unit.
                    First, thanks for the coverage. It means a lot to us that we are mentioned in Linux related news services. If anybody has any questions about this handheld, I'll be happy to answer them.

Comment

Working...
                    X