Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux-Based Steam Console Reaffirmed For This Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by leech View Post
    The only problem I see with it being an AMD APU based system is that to this day, ATI/AMD's drivers for Linux are still very much crap. Besides for a game console, why would you want a system like Optimus? You boot it up, play your games, and then shut it down. It's not like a laptop needs power saving features.
    I highly doubt they would use the OSS drivers anyway if they did use an AMD chip, because in addition to power management issues the OSS AMD drivers just don't have very good 3d performance, and this is a game console. I'd imagine they'd work with AMD and use some form of FGLRX, which does have fine power management already, its only the OSS amd drivers that have no real power management so its a moot point for people to be arguing about

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
      It only takes me 25 to 30 min to download a 10gig game on my fibre to home connection. within 3.5 yeas 1/4 of Australians will have fibre access to the home and everyone else within 10. What's happening else where in the world ? I would of thought the US or UK would be ahead of us. The other thing is every time i have bought a game and activated with steam play most games need considerable updates. When downloading several gigs of updates i often wonder why i just didn't download it in the first place and get the most recent version.
      Last time I checked the US was ranked 34th in average home internet bandwidth. That was a few years ago, but I imagine it isnt much better now. DSL is only capapble of 6Mb/s. And that is only if you live real close the the junction. Otherwise its 3Mb/s or if you're further away it is just 1.5Mb/s. Thats Megabits. If you want MegaBytes divide by 8.. Most cable providers offer 3 tiers of bandwidth. 2Mb/s, 10Mb/s and 50Mb/s. Most folks choose 10Mb/s Sometimes you can choose a Turbo option which will allow large downloads to reach an extra few Mb/s second for an added fee of course.
      Last edited by duby229; 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Vax456 View Post
        IIRC, Google manages Chrome OS with Portage. For the sake of saving some manpower (having most dependency management handled for you and simplifying the optimizations needed for the Steam console), I think Valve should head in that direction.

        Valve can easily build their own custom distribution, and updating consoles will still be as simple as downloading and extracting a tarball.
        What? Thats awesome as hell. I didnt know that, but it's kick ass cool.I guess Gentoo's "Meta management" ideology caught on in at least one scenario.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Vax456 View Post
          IIRC, Google manages Chrome OS with Portage. For the sake of saving some manpower (having most dependency management handled for you and simplifying the optimizations needed for the Steam console), I think Valve should head in that direction.

          Valve can easily build their own custom distribution, and updating consoles will still be as simple as downloading and extracting a tarball.
          Right, that's what I was saying. You wouldn't have a package manager on the machine itself, you'd have a central build server that spat out tarballs. Fixed hardware and fixed software means they wouldn't need that on the individual box and it thus wouldn't be what most people consider a "distribution."

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by leech View Post
            Regardless, I know it's due to online games, but really, there should be a feature in Steam that says "Hey, he's playing an MMO, it's online only, so let's pause his current downloads unless he tells us otherwise." Or "Hey, we haven't detected any network traffic for this game after 5-10 minutes, he must be playing in offline mode, let's resume the downloads."
            I *think* Steam does this now; I downloaded a game just last week, went to play another (no online component), and found, surprisingly, Steam downloaded the title. Long overdue "feature" though...

            People aren't going to be happy when they turn on their game console and click install, then have to wait 5 hours to play a game they just purchased. Really in that case, the previous posts about power saving features really would be high priority. I get pissed off when it takes me so long to download a game that is 10GB+ (which is a large amount of games these days) and I have a 40mpbs DSL connection.
            It shouldn't take anywhere that long at 40Mbit unless you are seriously being throttled. I get 15, and it never takes me more then an hour to download anything.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Last time I checked the US was ranked 34th in average home internet bandwidth. That was a few years ago, but I imagine it isnt much better now. DSL is only capapble of 6Mb/s. And that is only if you live real close the the junction. Otherwise its 3Mb/s or if you're further away it is just 1.5Mb/s. Thats Megabits. If you want MegaBytes divide by 8.. Most cable providers offer 3 tiers of bandwidth. 2Mb/s, 10Mb/s and 50Mb/s. Most folks choose 10Mb/s Sometimes you can choose a Turbo option which will allow large downloads to reach an extra few Mb/s second for an added fee of course.
              Huh, must be crap phone lines there - here in Finland DSL tops out at 24 Mbps, cable at 100 Mbps, fiber depends on the city, but starts at 100.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Last time I checked the US was ranked 34th in average home internet bandwidth. That was a few years ago, but I imagine it isnt much better now. DSL is only capapble of 6Mb/s. And that is only if you live real close the the junction. Otherwise its 3Mb/s or if you're further away it is just 1.5Mb/s. Thats Megabits. If you want MegaBytes divide by 8.. Most cable providers offer 3 tiers of bandwidth. 2Mb/s, 10Mb/s and 50Mb/s. Most folks choose 10Mb/s Sometimes you can choose a Turbo option which will allow large downloads to reach an extra few Mb/s second for an added fee of course.
                I work for a US DSL isp (and one in a rural state too). area's close to the CO can definitely get more than 6mbit, typically around 10-16 mbit depending on how close. Of course as you get farther away the speeds do tend to get quite bad in the rural areas, some areas barely reaching 1mbit. Luckily they are now in the process of switching completely over to 1gbit ftth.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Good News

                  This is good news! I was just contemplating buying a Wii U but no stores around me actually have one on display that you can try out. I guess it must be no good? I will just wait for the Linux-Based Steam Box to come out.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Huh, must be crap phone lines there - here in Finland DSL tops out at 24 Mbps, cable at 100 Mbps, fiber depends on the city, but starts at 100.
                    Are you telling me you can download at 12MB/s? That is freakin awesome... I need to move to finland....

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                      I work for a US DSL isp (and one in a rural state too). area's close to the CO can definitely get more than 6mbit, typically around 10-16 mbit depending on how close. Of course as you get farther away the speeds do tend to get quite bad in the rural areas, some areas barely reaching 1mbit. Luckily they are now in the process of switching completely over to 1gbit ftth.
                      When decided to move to cable I was using DSL. At that time the best they had was 6Mb/s. I live in a mid size city with a fairly large metro. Of course that was something like 5 years ago. I'm sure it must have improved since then. When I first stated using cable, the standard tier was 8Mb/s, but now it is 10Mb/s. I can sustain downloads at about 700KB/s or so. Sometimes it spikes higher than that, but that is about where it levels off. On very rare occasions it will hold a download at about 1.1-1.2MB/s
                      Last edited by duby229; 01-04-2013, 08:06 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                        When I first stated using cable, the standard tier was 8Mb/s, but now it is 10Mb/s. I can sustain downloads at about 700KB/s or so. Sometimes it spikes higher than that, but that is about where it levels off.
                        Yea, that's pretty much my experience with cable internet as well. Good thing I'll be switching to fibre soon.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                          Are you telling me you can download at 12MB/s? That is freakin awesome... I need to move to finland....
                          Yes, we actually get to near the rated speeds.

                          Me personally? Being a poor student, I have the cheapest DSL plan they offer - which is 8Mbps, they don't offer anything slower

                          I get something like 900kib/s from other countries, and a bit over one meg from Finland. (how that is possible, I don't have a clue, but downloading from funet goes at 1.1mib/s. FTP nonetheless, so no compression can explain that. Funet is our local university network.)

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Here in Bulgaria, many things are just wrong, but Internet connection is not one of them. Right now I can get 95Mb/s Internet connection for 17 euro per month. It sustains 10MB/s when downloading torrents. It speed increases during night hours. The fiber goes to to building basements.
                            There is a way (and I am using it now) to get wireless Internet access 600Kb/s max, for 3 euros per month.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                              Something wrong with it? It's the most popular distribution, so it's logical thing to use it. I prefer Kubuntu, but Ubuntu has better support.
                              If they do use Ubuntu - I wonder if they'll use the Ubuntu TV interface, and mix Big Picture mode in there.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X