The Problems Right Now For Gaming On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    Guess why your game takes about 30 seconds to start and 2 minutes to load... *points at TF2*.
    I haven't actually managed to get TF2 working on Linux via the Steam linux build yet. I think it's driver related as my laptop is pretty bad in terms of hardware. (nVidia Optimus. 'Nuff said).

Comment

I have it running on open suse 64 bit

Played for over 10 hour of teamfortress 2

Some problem I see

freedesktop org, and I have to start the game with a command to have sound.
      Both problems come from ubuntu and suse not agreeing on the right name of things.

I am confident opensuse or valve will get it sorted.

I also get an gl error, I might need to try the latest beta amd driver.

I am happy because its still a beta, and there are already arch, mint, suse, fedora en gentoo repo's.

My teamfortress 2 sometimes crashes, but I can see it sending reports to Valve.
      I fully agree with the topic starter, but I am hopeful amd and nvidia, because of steam get the closed driver part fixed.

Would love to use open source driver, but that's for now not an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
        I have it running on open suse 64 bit

Played for over 10 hour of teamfortress 2

Some problem I see

freedesktop org, and I have to start the game with a command to have sound.
        Both problems come from ubuntu and suse not agreeing on the right name of things.

I am confident opensuse or valve will get it sorted.

I also get an gl error, I might need to try the latest beta amd driver.

I am happy because its still a beta, and there are already arch, mint, suse, fedora en gentoo repo's.

My teamfortress 2 sometimes crashes, but I can see it sending reports to Valve.
        I fully agree with the topic starter, but I am hopeful amd and nvidia, because of steam get the closed driver part fixed.

Team Fortress 2 has never crashed in my comp. Have played it only on Trisquel GNU/Linux. Life is good!

Comment

I am used to games sometimes crashing, in all the years of gaming, I never had a game that never crashed.

Comment

I am used to games sometimes crashing, in all the years of gaming, I never had a game that never crashed.
            Well yeah, the day will come when TF 2 will crash on my comp. That said, I have "played" 42 hours of it (the number!), and no crashes so far means that many people has done excellent job.

People always report bad stuff, wanted to report good stuff.

Comment

Um, that is great option for me with Ivy Bridge Intel graphics.

Very playable frame rates, no crashes, no nothing. TF2 Works just perfectly.

Edit: Thinking about buying another Ivy Bridge box as a living room media center. Intel and Steam deliver so much!
              Last edited by moilami; 30 December 2012, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I _hand_ write_ "GNU/Linux" on all my paper money to let developers know we actually pay for things. When I converse with developers about Linux, one of the things I ask them is if they've seen this written on their money. So far, 2 (of hundreds) have said yes. Lets keep it up until they all answer yes.

Comment

Fragmentation is unfortunately an issue. See Steam's thread on better package compatibility...

But I myself am on Ubuntu, with proprietary drivers, and an awesome computer - and gaming, as it was, is good and getting better.

Comment

I think for steam the thing that in fact I belive today most linux users dont want drm, even widows users at least on their mp3s dont want drm, they even take action against it, in not buying this stuff at all... and extremly many did this, so its finaly gone... and thats windoof users we are talking about...

So yes there is a bit more acceptence in drm for software in the windows world. But I believe most Linux users dont want that. But I think that that does not matter valve dont target primary the today linux geeks... they target 99% the new linux users.. like in android its not the many many linux users that used it because its a linux... its 99% windows users that use it...

Personaly I think a company has the change to sell under linux much if they release the sourcecode of the game but keeps his righs on the artwork. The only thing they loose with that is the ability to build in drm... nobody can play the game without the artwork... and any drm and shit cna be cracked anyway...

And I see it coming... the documentary guys of the documentary about minecraft released by themself its movie to piratebay, because they know you cant force people into paying you money for some bits...

you have to make the people happy to give you money beause you did make something great and because people want you to have money so you can build something new great... because you profed you did something great...

ok not giving a fixed price goes even further than the "release sourcecode + sell for a fixed price your artwork". But at least its not nasty to do that... and people do not have beg you to fix bugs or something... if many users have this issue and the company is very slow to fix it... someone else will fix it.

And yes if you dont want extremly high amounts of money for your game... many will just buy it than... and even if you ask for 50 or 60 euros aka 80-100 dollars for a game some people will buy it even than... that would maybe not bought it if it would not be opensource...

so opensource != giving it up for free...

but again they target not the linux users... they target primary for new linuxusers... and a minoraty who use linux but dont care about freedom like defined in gpl lisense at all...

another question would it be possible to release something gplish over steam... I mean some companies will shure like the drm-shit from steam... but others maybe just want to use it to easily port and package stuff for linux... and they port their stuff not to linux because it would be maybe to hard for them to build several packages... so does steam have a kind of wrapper-api around linux or does the games run directly on linux and only steam is a installer that communicates sometimes with the programm...
                    Last edited by blackiwid; 30 December 2012, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Linux for home users is only coming together now. In the last few years work has been addressing gfx drivers, desktop and other UI to make controlling a Linux platform and its functionality, much easier.

If companies in the past tried Linux game sales they need to return and be with the community as it grows. They also need to bring unique titles and games that will promote the platform, example Role playing games. There has to be a reason someone would move from a console or Windows to Linux regarding games.

Linux needs game makers that will code and make great titles only for Linux. It needs to prove itself.
                      Last edited by e8hffff; 30 December 2012, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X