Gabe Talks More About Valve's Next-Gen Linux Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabe is no dummy

He has hired the people needed to make this a firm reality. He understands what TYPE of hardware *REALLY* needs to be in a boxen to run his games well. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. BTW, the code is portable enough that he could even use one of the up-coming 64bit ARM chips if he really wanted to, and it would be more than performant enough given that he and his teams will have full control over the optimization of the game code and the driver / utilities. I am not saying it will not be x86_64, just that it no longer has to be. Linux supports more than just x86.

Audio wise, if Gabe really wants that to happen for his console it will happen. Period. Once again, he has full control and the engineering teams to handle the job.

Will it be the most Uber ZOMG boxen Evahz!!!! No. It will be more than good enough. I will postulate it will likely be somewhat upgradable, but with Steam approved gear. Another thing many of you perhaps missed is that Nvidia has both graphics and SoC's. Think about that for a minute, then go dig for info about what nvidia has been up to in regards to their fab partner.

Ahh speculation...
    Gary

Comment

is there a problem with audio?

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
        is there a problem with audio?
        Not in general but there was a post by the Ardour dev here on phoronix that said that some things could be better at kernel level. Its just that linux has areas that more people care so they advance faster. Ie as elanthis described linux has shortcomings in gaming controller handling. Probably noone had an itch to solve the problem and put modern features in it that will suit hardcore gamers/devs/whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          Not in general but there was a post by the Ardour dev here on phoronix that said that some things could be better at kernel level. Its just that linux has areas that more people care so they advance faster. Ie as elanthis described linux has shortcomings in gaming controller handling. Probably noone had an itch to solve the problem and put modern features in it that will suit hardcore gamers/devs/whatever.
          i've had issues with some sound devices especially onboard ones but thats why i've got a pile of soundblaster live cards and audigy cards, i've not had issues with game controllers for years - evdev seems to make everything work for me. I have a cideko ak08 gamepad at the moment and although its not the greatest pad in the world its fantastic as an all rounder. As for playing first person shooters on a tv from the comfort of my lazy boy... thats a tough one but i think if i can get a wireless nostromo type device and a wireless mouse it'll work ok... certainly better than trying to play a first person shooter with a gamepad at any rate

I would love to play against the hoards of ps3/xbox users on any first person shooter with my trusty razer mouse.... blood bath!!

Comment

Yeah... sound problems... a little off topic but I'll give you an example. I have an eee pc 10" atom chipset. Pulse audio did really, stupid stuff with the microphone. The mono microphone was shown having a left and a right channel with the volumes locked together by default. No sound would be registered. To "fix" it, you had to mute the right channel to make it record sound, Muting a channel for a microphone to record sound coming from the left channel... is so counter intuitive ... it boggles the mind. What made this problem worse is that chat programs like to automatically adjust the mike volume, when they did, the two channels would be set to the same volume, thereby muting the microphone. Side note: Yes it was pulse audio, I was able to find a mic program that could access alsa directly and they worked, it was pulse that was adding a right channel that negated the volume of the left channel.

I have other examples of sound problems I could give for all of my computers that I've run linux on.

</off topic>

Yeah, it would be great if valve makes sound reliable on Linux. It would be fantastic if they got power management for the amd os graphics drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
              Yeah... sound problems... a little off topic but I'll give you an example. I have an eee pc 10" atom chipset. Pulse audio did really, stupid stuff with the microphone. The mono microphone was shown having a left and a right channel with the volumes locked together by default. No sound would be registered. To "fix" it, you had to mute the right channel to make it record sound, Muting a channel for a microphone to record sound coming from the left channel... is so counter intuitive ... it boggles the mind. What made this problem worse is that chat programs like to automatically adjust the mike volume, when they did, the two channels would be set to the same volume, thereby muting the microphone. Side note: Yes it was pulse audio, I was able to find a mic program that could access alsa directly and they worked, it was pulse that was adding a right channel that negated the volume of the left channel.

I have other examples of sound problems I could give for all of my computers that I've run linux on.

</off topic>

Yeah, it would be great if valve makes sound reliable on Linux. It would be fantastic if they got power management for the amd os graphics drivers.
              As big and wonderful valve might be I cant see them fixing every issue with every device, for eg if you have an older audigy card that uses the emu10k driver then you wont need pulseaudio as everything just works with alsa as it should and i suppose the same goes for gpu drivers to some degree, I've no doubt this is the reasoning behind valve bringing their own games console/machine into the mix so they'll have specific bits of hardware to work with and be able to optimise to that hardware.

I've been using gnu/linux for a quite a while now so i tend to purchase hardware for my own personal use that i know works well but i do know the pain of setting up laptops with half arsed and half working devices - it is rather disheartening. I suppose thats why i stopped purchasing nvidia gpus ( and before you boo ) because if there is a problem only nvidia can deal with it , not the community or another company that has an interest in your hardware working right. That's the windows way of doing things and if you're going to do the windows way you may as well use windows

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                As big and wonderful valve might be I cant see them fixing every issue with every device, for eg if you have an older audigy card that uses the emu10k driver then you wont need pulseaudio as everything just works with alsa as it should and i suppose the same goes for gpu drivers to some degree, I've no doubt this is the reasoning behind valve bringing their own games console/machine into the mix so they'll have specific bits of hardware to work with and be able to optimise to that hardware.

I've been using gnu/linux for a quite a while now so i tend to purchase hardware for my own personal use that i know works well but i do know the pain of setting up laptops with half arsed and half working devices - it is rather disheartening. I suppose thats why i stopped purchasing nvidia gpus ( and before you boo ) because if there is a problem only nvidia can deal with it , not the community or another company that has an interest in your hardware working right. That's the windows way of doing things and if you're going to do the windows way you may as well use windows
                Valve don't really need to fix every issue with every device. If Valve take a *nix distro, code to open standards, and upstream the drivers they do write, then we'll be in a better situation given they'll either have created , fixed, or validated the interfaces provided for these drivers. That puts you in a position where the rest of the stack is doing its job, then 3rd party vendors can look at valves work write their own drivers.

Does that mean creative is going to backtrack and fix their old hardware drivers? Probably not. But having a major player actually interested in both linux desktop, gaming and the related software stacks is probably actually a positive thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ownagefool View Post
                  Valve don't really need to fix every issue with every device. If Valve take a *nix distro, code to open standards, and upstream the drivers they do write, then we'll be in a better situation given they'll either have created , fixed, or validated the interfaces provided for these drivers. That puts you in a position where the rest of the stack is doing its job, then 3rd party vendors can look at valves work write their own drivers.

Does that mean creative is going to backtrack and fix their old hardware drivers? Probably not. But having a major player actually interested in both linux desktop, gaming and the related software stacks is probably actually a positive thing.
                  Absolutely - the more games and player that are using gnu/linux the more feedback will come. I would have thought the best way would be to use a completely open system though

Comment

Well, dunno, when I connect my XBOX360 gamepad in Linux, it starts blinking and never stops. All 4 leds. Annoying as hell. If they can't fix even that, what would make me think that Linux is actually in a position to attract gamers.

Comment

You Do Realize...

That Valve has a team of engineers right? At least one of those engineers has game controller experience. When Gabe said controlled ecosystem, perhaps he meant his engineers would Make The Needed Peripherals?

Comment

Working...
                      X