Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear Esther: Another Source Engine Game On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dear Esther: Another Source Engine Game On Linux

    Phoronix: Dear Esther: Another Source Engine Game On Linux

    Dear Esther, a unique first person adventure game powered by Valve's Source Engine, will soon be released as a native Linux client. Currently the company is seeking out testers to try out the Linux port...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzNzk

  • #2
    Is this actually going to be fully native now or are they still messing about with that silly wrapper they were talking about when the Linux release was originally announced to be happening?

    Comment


    • #3
      I will test once I'm allowed into the Linux beta.

      It seems adding the "linux-steam-blog" to my rss feed, joining multiple steam linux groups (on steam) and registering within the first 5 minutes after the survey was release did not help

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
        Is this actually going to be fully native now or are they still messing about with that silly wrapper they were talking about when the Linux release was originally announced to be happening?
        They are using WINE.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Rotgut View Post
          They are using WINE.
          Ok, so who stops me from using WINE directly, then?
          WINE is gorgeous, but not gorgeous enough for gaming.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rotgut View Post
            They are using WINE.
            Are you sure? I know that was their plan at first, but now A LOT has changed. It would be really weird... Source is native now...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rotgut View Post
              They are using WINE.
              Source?

              [char limit]

              Comment


              • #8
                It would be interesting see if Larabel got it wrong when he said "native Linux client", especially since he is using it as another "I WAS RIGHT!!!!" post.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Source?

                  [char limit]
                  I should have not started right away with my angered comment. Let's hope they release something natively-compiled, because WINE is just not comparable to the efforts on improving the Graphics-drivers.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    Source?

                    [char limit]
                    I'm one of the beta testers. Quoting the dev: " it'sbuilt using a sophisticated wrapper, so it is not yet a native build so to speak". They plan to make a native port once Valve release the Linux Engine source code to licensees.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      That is okay I guess, although I do wonder why they did not just hold off on testing until they could actually make a fully native build?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by julian_fern View Post
                        I'm one of the beta testers. Quoting the dev: " it'sbuilt using a sophisticated wrapper, so it is not yet a native build so to speak". They plan to make a native port once Valve release the Linux Engine source code to licensees.
                        Thanks!

                        Without the sources, this "sophisticated wrapper" can only be WINE then, not even WINELIB.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by entropy View Post
                          Thanks!

                          Without the sources, this "sophisticated wrapper" can only be WINE then, not even WINELIB.
                          Well, they likely do have the source for the older version that runs on windows. They just have to wait to get the new linux source code.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Does anyone know when it will be actually available? It was on sale today for 2 or so but it's still not available "for my platform".

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X