Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sauerbraten Update Coming, Tesseract Still Going

Phoronix: Sauerbraten Update Coming, Tesseract Still Going

An official update to the Sauerbraten game atop "Cube Engine 2" is imminent while work on the Tesseract project -- basically a modernized and more visually advanced version of the open-source Cube Engine 2 -- is still in development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Sauerbraten Update Coming, Tesseract Still Going

An official update to the Sauerbraten game atop "Cube Engine 2" is imminent while work on the Tesseract project -- basically a modernized and more visually advanced version of the open-source Cube Engine 2 -- is still in development...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzNzQ

Sauerbraten is actually playable, in single mode, in campaign, in slow-motion... Slow-motion speed would be needed for the multiplayer too. Otherwise it is all too fast. Compare the Battlefield and the Call of Duty series. None of them have the silly high pace of sauerbraten, warsow and other free quake-clones. UrbanTerror is the closest I can think of but that isn't really free as in GPL, is it?

Me, I think that the user numbers would rise enormously if pace went down three notches. And perhaps the code and map/mod contributions would go up.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
      Sauerbraten is actually playable, in single mode, in campaign, in slow-motion... Slow-motion speed would be needed for the multiplayer too. Otherwise it is all too fast. Compare the Battlefield and the Call of Duty series. None of them have the silly high pace of sauerbraten, warsow and other free quake-clones. UrbanTerror is the closest I can think of but that isn't really free as in GPL, is it?

Me, I think that the user numbers would rise enormously if pace went down three notches. And perhaps the code and map/mod contributions would go up.
      Maybe Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 would be for you? It's 'slow paced' but (contrary to CoD/BF) requires skill and as of recently runs on linux. It's not 'free', tough.

UrbanTerror is still under GPL (it's required since they use one of the Quake engines) but won't be for long (UrbanTerror HD won't be under GPL).

Comment

Is it just me, or is the shadow/light from the lamp in the video all over the place?

Comment

Speed is its virtue

Thats one of the distinctive features of sauerbraten, and its especially addictive in that mode where everyone uses the rifle gun and 1 shot = dead. Slowing it down would make it boring like the other games.

Unlike Alien Arena, Xonotic or Unvanquished (all promoted here), there is always people playing Sauerbraten. The only thing Sauerbraten might need, is more maps, more songs; and perhaps some little cosmetic improvements to the engine like this.

The rush pace of sauerbraten is what makes it different and fun, and for me, the non quake engine factor (no insane strafe running) helps.

So, when someone is stressed and needs an immediate adrenaline rush, you jump to sauerbraten, instead of the more tactical games.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
            Maybe Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 would be for you? It's 'slow paced' but (contrary to CoD/BF) requires skill and as of recently runs on linux. It's not 'free', tough.
            Red Orchestra!

We watch American and Japanese forces battle it out on new Saipan, Betio, Hanto, and Iwo Jima maps.Official Site - http://www.risingstormgame.com/Visit our o...

Thanks for that! I had not heard about it. Good to see that a game of this quality has shown up!

Comment

Red Orchestra!

We watch American and Japanese forces battle it out on new Saipan, Betio, Hanto, and Iwo Jima maps.Official Site - http://www.risingstormgame.com/Visit our o...

Thanks for that! I had not heard about it. Good to see that a game of this quality has shown up!
              uhm, that's another Red Orchestra. AFIAK it does not run on Linux. I meant that one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1xN3BqCPw8

Comment

I love this game and the so called "super fast" game play, almost as fast as doom death matches Tho I hate that most of the servers are all Insta :S (I'm a big doom player still, PrBoom+ rocks )

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                  uhm, that's another Red Orchestra. AFIAK it does not run on Linux. I meant that one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1xN3BqCPw8
                  Oh, the Ostfront 41-45 looks so 2008 compared to Rising Storm...

Comment

Working...
                  X