Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egosoft Wants To Bring Games To Steam On Linux

Phoronix: Egosoft Wants To Bring Games To Steam On Linux

In part due to Steam now being available on Linux, Egosoft wants to hire a Linux game developer to continue bringing their X3 games to the penguin platform...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzMTY

I really hope they'll distribute their games outside of Steam as well, so they could be used without DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      I really hope they'll distribute their games outside of Steam as well, so they could be used without DRM.
      am I really the only one who connects DRM only with software that tries to make it impossible to copy a CD?

Comment

Isn't it possible to publish games via Steam without DRM?
        AFAIK, it's up to the game companies which route they take.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
          am I really the only one who connects DRM only with software that tries to make it impossible to copy a CD?
          Yes, especially since CD copy protection has nothing to do with DRM. DRM requires an outside authority to validate your installation.

Comment

I think you still need to install Steam client and it always has some level of DRM. As far as I know, in order even to play the game, you need to run the Steam client. That's already DRM for me, unless I misunderstiid their requirements. I'd prefer to work without any "clients", just using some installer / package / tarball (like Humble Bundle does, and how GOG does for Windows games).

Surely DRM is not limited to preventing CD copying. It means any kind of restriction on managing the data (like copying it around, limiting the amount and/or period of installations, requiring to connect to special server to use it and so on).
            Last edited by shmerl; 11-18-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Surely DRM is not limited to preventing CD copying.
              CD copy protection is not DRM but DRM is a form of copy protection.

Comment

I call it DRM as an inclusive name for any such kind of restriction. It's DRM for me. DRM = Digital Restrictions Management.

Comment

I call it DRM as an inclusive name. It's DRM for me.
                  DRM stands for Digital Rights Management which is about validating an installation by an outside authority. It has nothing to do with being able to copy the data. You can do that all day and get the perfect 1:1 copy but DRM will still thwart the installation unless re authenticated.

Comment

I think you still need to install Steam client and it always has some level of DRM. As far as I know, in order even to play the game, you need to run the Steam client.
                    If this is a strict requirement, then I to agree with you.

But is that really true? Isn't it possible to use Steam for distribution only (if the game company intends to),
                    so that you can copy the game-related SteamApps folder to another computer and launch it there
                    without Steam (and 3rd party DRM)?

Comment

I am not going to buy anything, except mmorpgs, that require some authentication to a companies server. I got X2 LGP -> was OK. Then X3 boxed LGP -> bloody drm so my CD copy is actual useless.

Comment

I surely know that it can stand for Digital Rights Management which has more or less fixed definition. But I meant it in a broader sense of Digital Restrictions Management concept, which can easily include CD copy protection.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                          If this is a strict requirement, then I to agree with you.

But is that really true? Isn't it possible to use Steam for distribution only (if the game company intends to),
                          so that you can copy the game-related SteamApps folder to another computer and launch it there
                          without Steam (and 3rd party DRM)?
                          I'm not sure 100%. If it works for distribution only - then there is nothing wrong there. May be someone who uses Steam regularly can clarify. The impression I got from other people is that it's not just a distribution channel, but in order to run games you need to run the client (which is DRM).

Comment

All I can say is....

YEY!

EDIT: By the way, you can disconnect the Egosoft games from Steam by downloading and running an Egosoft supplied binary.
                            DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
                            SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
                            BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
                            LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

Comment

I'm not sure 100%. If it works for distribution only - then there is nothing wrong there. May be someone who uses Steam regularly can clarify. The impression I got from other people is that it's not just a distribution channel, but in order to run games you need to run the client (which is DRM).
                              I guess it is possible to distribute games completely without DRM on Steam, but developers happily make use of the offered options of DRM:
                              Either authentication via Steam or 3rd-party DRM - but none is actually really required to publish on Steam.

IIRC, Steel Storm provided a native Linux binary via Steam for years.
                              You could just run it from the folder without running Steam, which didn't even exist on Linux back then.

Comment

Working...
                              X