No announcement yet.

Egosoft Wants To Bring Games To Steam On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not going to buy anything, except mmorpgs, that require some authentication to a companies server. I got X2 LGP -> was OK. Then X3 boxed LGP -> bloody drm so my CD copy is actual useless.

Comment

I surely know that it can stand for Digital Rights Management which has more or less fixed definition. But I meant it in a broader sense of Digital Restrictions Management concept, which can easily include CD copy protection.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
        If this is a strict requirement, then I to agree with you.

But is that really true? Isn't it possible to use Steam for distribution only (if the game company intends to),
        so that you can copy the game-related SteamApps folder to another computer and launch it there
        without Steam (and 3rd party DRM)?
        I'm not sure 100%. If it works for distribution only - then there is nothing wrong there. May be someone who uses Steam regularly can clarify. The impression I got from other people is that it's not just a distribution channel, but in order to run games you need to run the client (which is DRM).

Comment

All I can say is....

YEY!

EDIT: By the way, you can disconnect the Egosoft games from Steam by downloading and running an Egosoft supplied binary.
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            I'm not sure 100%. If it works for distribution only - then there is nothing wrong there. May be someone who uses Steam regularly can clarify. The impression I got from other people is that it's not just a distribution channel, but in order to run games you need to run the client (which is DRM).
            I guess it is possible to distribute games completely without DRM on Steam, but developers happily make use of the offered options of DRM:
            Either authentication via Steam or 3rd-party DRM - but none is actually really required to publish on Steam.

IIRC, Steel Storm provided a native Linux binary via Steam for years.
            You could just run it from the folder without running Steam, which didn't even exist on Linux back then.

Comment

Here is the situation. Games made by Valve themselves use Steam works DRM. Developers of other games can choose to use this DRM, their own/third party DRM or no DRM at all. AFAIK (I have not done this myself), with some games, like Dungeons of Dredmor and Steel Storm, you can copy the files over from the steam directory and run them on a machine without steam. As a matter of fact. Before Steam Linux beta, if you buy the Windows versions of these 2 games, linux binaries were in the directory and you could copy them to Linux! However Steam specific features like achievements will not work. I have heard for some games Steam is a dependency and you do need the client.

Comment

As someone who has Steam running all the time with 138 games attached to my Steam account, I will put it like this it is a games(and recently software in general) distribution platform that also happens to provide DRM and community features. The DRM features are optional for the developers since obviously as any other download service it will gladly download .exe's that don't use Steam's DRM related functions. However most games do use it for DRM(if not the vast majority) as well.

But the thing is among gamers Steam's DRM is well respected as it is seen as the least intrusive and often is combined with other features such as achievements and multiplayer matchmaking and the like. Steam's DRM does not limit installs or the like, nor does it require constant connection to the internet, the problem is that SOME games on Steam use other forms of more intrusive DRM either instead of or in addition to that provided by Steam. There is even a community maintained online list of all games with 3rd party DRM on them. Steam has an offline mode so that if you lose your internet connection you can still play your games, it also has a feature that allows you to back up your library of games to DVD's and the like.

About the only restriction Steam's DRM provides is the inability to play a game on multiple systems simultaneously. But you can install a game on as many systems as you like. I actively boycott any game that requires a constant online connection and/or has hardware authentication and/or limited installs/authentications and/or uses Microsoft's Games For Windows Live or EA's Origin for their DRM. But I will more than happily get a game that uses Valve's Steamworks so long as there is no 3rd party DRM.

Edit:

To clarify for games using Steam's DRM, yes you do need Steam running in the background and it will be launched when running the games executable. But it is pretty lightweight and totally unobtrusive and offers a number of features such as community chat.
                Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 18 November 2012, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I see. Still, I'd rather support distributors who don't encourage (or even strongly discourage) any DRM usage. For example GOG doesn't accept games with DRM at all. They simply only sell DRM free games. Humble Bundle also are DRM free. These are kind of distributors which I like to support. Even though GOG didn't get to shipping Linux games yet. (Feel free to vote for it).
                  Last edited by shmerl; 18 November 2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I know about GoG, I have a couple of games on there.

Comment

I see. Still, I'd rather support distributors who don't encourage (or even strongly discourage) any DRM usage. For example GOG doesn't accept games with DRM at all. They simply only sell DRM free games. Humble Bundle also are DRM free. These are kind of distributors which I like to support. Even though GOG didn't get to shipping Linux games yet. (Feel free to vote for it).
                      Now, that we know Steam does not require DRM:
                      Why don't you support developers which don't enforce DRM on us instead?

Comment

Working...
                      X