Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Is Working On A New Game Engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Valve Is Working On A New Game Engine

    Phoronix: Valve Is Working On A New Game Engine

    Valve is working on a new game engine following in the success of their widely-popular Source Engine that is now running nicely on Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyNzE

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Valve Is Working On A New Game Engine

    Valve is working on a new game engine following in the success of their widely-popular Source Engine that is now running nicely on Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyNzE
    at work so i can't watch vid, but is it a 100% completely built from scratch game engine or just an improvement of source?

    Comment


    • #3
      He gets asked just that and he replies "yeah" to "is it a completely whole new engine?".

      Also, he says they are working on Ricochet 2 (aka HL3).

      Comment


      • #4
        Below is the 4Chan video in full.
        nice citation source...

        Comment


        • #5
          All I can say is that it's about goddamn time. The Quake-derived Source engine needed to be put to ground years ago.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by elanthis View Post
            All I can say is that it's about goddamn time. The Quake-derived Source engine needed to be put to ground years ago.
            I thought only the Gold Source engine was a modified Quake one, and the newer Source Engine built from scratch?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
              I thought only the Gold Source engine was a modified Quake one, and the newer Source Engine built from scratch?
              So, you were wrong

              Comment


              • #8
                good news. I like source but it is starting to show its age and has a lot of limitations compared to newer engines.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Is it still too early for a next-gen cross-platform engine to be OpenGL 4.x based in 2013 in terms of good driver support and broad hardware ownership? Valve games tend to have as low hardware requirements as possible to support as many users as possible. I guess OpenGL 3.x would be a safer bet. Not that we know the time frame they are planning for their new engine.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
                    So, you were wrong
                    That's really interesting. Can you provide me with some stuff for further reading?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                      That's really interesting. Can you provide me with some stuff for further reading?
                      There are still bits of early Quake code in Half Life 2,
                      http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n....cent%20updates

                      http://blog.tojicode.com/2011/09/sou...tech-talk.html

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_...ine%29#Origins

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks. 10 Chars.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
                          So, you were wrong
                          No, he's right.

                          When the Source engine was being developed (and still is being updated, with current versions having great technical potential - hence Dear Esther and several amazing Source mods) they started out with the GoldSrc code, and eventually replaced all the existing code for a particular component as a new one was being developed.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by blacqwolf View Post
                            eventually replaced all the existing code for a particular component as a new one was being developed.
                            So, have you seen Source source code? Or are you Valve employee? How do you explain that bugs from original Quake (eg. bunnyhopping) still exist?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
                              So, have you seen Source source code? Or are you Valve employee? How do you explain that bugs from original Quake (eg. bunnyhopping) still exist?
                              A lot of these bugs are common for the type of renderer that Source uses and happens across multiple different engines that use the same sort of renderer. Also, there are things that still exist from the Quake days because the engine isn't entirely rebuilt - only most of the major components have been recreated.

                              I think there was an article detailing the engine's development process from 2006, but I'm not having luck finding it.
                              Last edited by blacqwolf; 11-15-2012, 12:20 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X