Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 Needs New Drivers For Valve's Source

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 Needs New Drivers For Valve's Source

Experimental graphics driver updates will be needed on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for properly running Valve's Source Engine games through the forthcoming Linux Steam client...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyMjE

For those using Intel graphics but not Ubuntu...you'll need Mesa 9.0 to play Valve games.
    Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
    Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Will those fglrx-experimental-9 drivers still support the hd 4xxx series?

edit: they're "12.11 beta".. so I guess not. :/
      Last edited by Kibou; 11-06-2012, 12:10 AM.

Comment

so...what you are telling me is, that AMD will actually do something to the driver aside from entering a new version number for X.Org/X11? *suspiciously look's at calendar* it's not April 1., isn't it?

Comment

Since same day it was launched that i have the NVIDIA 310.14....but i'm uncertain if they select non-UBUNTU beta testers

Comment

Originally posted by Kibou View Post
            Will those fglrx-experimental-9 drivers still support the hd 4xxx series?

edit: they're "12.11 beta".. so I guess not. :/
            i don't think so unfortunately. But one thing is sure, next time i will buy an Nvidia graphics card. AMD really sucks, not Nvidia as Linus told us(well, honestly Linus told: "Nvidia fuck off!"). Nvidia compared to AMD is good!!!I damned the day i bought a notebook based on AMD and Radeon! Only problems, problems, problems! (HP G62 340US......read: a shitting notebook)
            Last edited by tacco; 11-06-2012, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tacco View Post
              i don't think so unfortunately. But one thing is sure, next time i will buy an Nvidia graphics card. AMD really sucks, not Nvidia as Linus told us(well, honestly Linus told: "Nvidia fuck off!". Nvidia compared to AMD is good!!!I damned the day i bought a notebook based on AMD and Radeon! Only problems, problems, problems! (HP G62 340US......read: a shitting notebook)
              +1

I bought an expensive Radeon 7870 GHz edition because of the promisse for good open source drivers. Almost one year later, my card is still not supported from either open source driver or catalyst (!). So fuck you AMD. I am going back to nvidia next time.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                +1

I bought an expensive Radeon 7870 GHz edition because of the promisse for good open source drivers. Almost one year later, my card is still not supported from either open source driver or catalyst (!). So fuck you AMD. I am going back to nvidia next time.

Funny how that goes. I have the same card (minus the ghz edition, but that's mostly just clockspeeds) And it works like a charm on catalyst.

Maybe you should stop blaming your own Incompetence on other people.

I'm sorry if that sounded rude, but I had to say it, since I see stuff like this way to often. If you need some help with your drivers, just ask before assuming it's not working.

Comment

I bought an expensive Radeon 7870 GHz edition because of the promisse for good open source drivers. Almost one year later, my card is still not supported from either open source driver or catalyst (!).
                  Seriously? There is no Catalyst officially supporting your card?

Edit: Just read Ragas' post.

Comment

I see two options in zoomblab case:
                    1. He is just a troll or NV fanboy and he haven't any Radeon card in PC.
                    2. His knowledge about software is really low, he broken Your OS and now say that this is AMD fault...

The bad thing is that probably we will not see updated drivers for HD2k-HD4k...

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
                      Funny how that goes. I have the same card (minus the ghz edition, but that's mostly just clockspeeds) And it works like a charm on catalyst.

Maybe you should stop blaming your own Incompetence on other people.

I'm sorry if that sounded rude, but I had to say it, since I see stuff like this way to often. If you need some help with your drivers, just ask before assuming it's not working.
                      My card is Saphire HD 7870 GHz edition (as I said) with 2GB GDDR5. It works perfectly with Windows 7 and semi-works with Ubuntu 12.04 with catalyst (no hdmi sound, crashes unity whenever it feels so).

However it does not work at all with Ubuntu 12.10. After I install catalyst the PC becomes unbootable, not even in safe-mode. So far I have tried clean installs with Ubuntu, Kubuntu (just in case it was a compiz thing), and then installing the driver from the repositories and also from straight amd.com downloads. This is clearly a catalyst problem. Yes, maybe I am incompetent for you linux l33ts. In any case AMD is not going to see my money again. I have had nvidia cards for years and their drivers always worked great for me.
                      Last edited by zoomblab; 11-06-2012, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
                        I see two options in zoomblab case:
                        1. He is just a troll or NV fanboy and he haven't any Radeon card in PC.
                        2. His knowledge about software is really low, he broken Your OS and now say that this is AMD fault...

The bad thing is that probably we will not see updated drivers for HD2k-HD4k...
                        Did you know that in order to install the official catalyst 12.10 driver (downloaded from amd.com) you have to have: debhelper, dh-make, dh-modaliases, execstack, lib32gcc1, libc6-i386 and dkms packages also installed? AMD made me learn that and I kept notes. Unfortunatelly that pain only helped as far as successfuly installing a broken driver. Indeed my knowledge is low. I don't even know how to compile the kernel. These things are like obvious to you guys right?
                        Last edited by zoomblab; 11-06-2012, 02:34 PM.

Comment

My card is Saphire HD 7870 GHz edition (as I said) with 2GB GDDR5. It works perfectly with Windows 7 and semi-works with Ubuntu 12.04 with catalyst (no hdmi sound, crashes unity whenever it feels so).

However it does not work at all with Ubuntu 12.10. After I install catalyst the PC becomes unbootable, not even in safe-mode. So far I have tried clean installs with Ubuntu, Kubuntu (just in case it was a compiz thing), and then installing the driver from the repositories and also from straight amd.com downloads. This is clearly a catalyst problem. Yes, maybe I am incompetent for you linux l33ts. In any case AMD is not going to see my money again. I have had nvidia cards for years and their drivers always worked great for me.
                          It does sound like a Catalyst problem ... But to be on the safe side, I'll add these. Ubuntu 12.10 had the issue of (for some reason) not including the kernel headers .... You can easily install them though by adding the "linux-headers-generic" package(assuming you have vanilla kernel, for pae etc there's a similar package you should install). It's needed to properly install fglrx/Catalyst. If you didn't have that, then you should try installing it and purging-reinstalling Catalyst.

Also make sure sure to run "sudo amdconfig --initial -f" at the end of installation(manual or from repos). You probably did that, but I mention it to be on the safe side.

Btw, by unbootable, you mean like black screen with a blinking cursor, it just hangs when about to launch X, your wallpaper is the only thing appearing, kernel panic message and forced to shut down. Mostly curiosity. If I have a clue of what you could do more I'll share with you for sure though. Cheers.

**Edit: It may be bootable with nomodeset if Catalyst breaks it still. No 3d, but you can restore it to before and fix it possibly(desktop probably not working, so I'd suggest using a virtual terminal then). If it's not bootable even with that after installing Catalyst, there's probably some serious stuff going on there ...
                          Last edited by Rigaldo; 11-06-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
                            It does sound like a Catalyst problem ... But to be on the safe side, I'll add these. Ubuntu 12.10 had the issue of (for some reason) not including the kernel headers .... You can easily install them though by adding the "linux-headers-generic" package(assuming you have vanilla kernel, for pae etc there's a similar package you should install). It's needed to properly install fglrx/Catalyst. If you didn't have that, then you should try installing it and purging-reinstalling Catalyst.

Also make sure sure to run "sudo amdconfig --initial -f" at the end of installation(manual or from repos). You probably did that, but I mention it to be on the safe side.

Btw, by unbootable, you mean like black screen with a blinking cursor, it just hangs when about to launch X, your wallpaper is the only thing appearing, kernel panic message and forced to shut down. Mostly curiosity. If I have a clue of what you could do more I'll share with you for sure though. Cheers.

**Edit: It may be bootable with nomodeset if Catalyst breaks it still. No 3d, but you can restore it to before and fix it possibly(desktop probably not working, so I'd suggest using a virtual terminal then). If it's not bootable even with that after installing Catalyst, there's probably some serious stuff going on there ...
                            Indeed I had to execute sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) and sudo amdconfig --initial at the end. After that it would freeze right after the grub selection. No wallpaper, no blinking cursor, just blank screen and no response to any key whatsoever. In safe mode it printed some messages for a short while and then also freeze.

Thank you for your help though!

Comment

What about adding nomodeset to GRUB entry before booting?(press "e" on the entry and add "nomodeset" at the end of the line starting with linux, then press F10). Doesn't boot still? Weird that it's like that .. I don't recall facing this situation any time ..
                              The only thing I can think of that could work is trying out a PPA that downgrades X.org and allows to install the legacy drivers for Ubuntu 12.10(not recommended though ..). In the weird case the driver treats the card as a 4xxx series(for example it might basically be a 4xxx overclocked, I think they do some stuff of this kind, or just a bug). It's crazy enough to work ..
                              I suggest you file a bug if you want to as well, to AMD or Ubuntu(the latter will have to forward it to the first anyways).
                              I guess I have no idea then .....

Comment

Working...
                              X