Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CoreCode's CoreBreach Game Goes Open-Source

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Well if a track editor is there you could create more tracks, the full game has got only a few ones as well. For the old game stunts it was really fun to create tracks - trackmania had a similar idea.
    there is one: http://corebreach.corecode.at/tracks/CBTrackGuide.pdf

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by CoreCode View Post
      i don't expect anything.
      i'm releasing the source because:
      *some people wanted the source code to be released
      source code for our projects at corecode is always released sooner or later

      its just plain impossible to release the game data as well because we don't have the legal rights to do so.
      Nah, I wasn't stating anything and am very grateful you have released the sources (I might should have used some more subjunctives).
      If you have game-files with problematic license, you might try to engage non-developers to create new content by providing easy access to binaries for all major operating systems and a small insight in how creating game data is accomplished.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by frign View Post
        If you have game-files with problematic license, you might try to engage non-developers to create new content by providing easy access to binaries for all major operating systems
        yeah thats one of the goals.

        Originally posted by frign View Post
        and a small insight in how creating game data is accomplished.
        i'll be happy to answer all questions in this regard. some documentation is already out there (http://corebreach.corecode.at/tracks/CBTrackGuide.pdf) and in the source release, but of course this can and should be improved (as needed).

        Comment


        • #14
          I'm happy to see this. I bought the game about a month ago on Desura. I really dig the cell-shaded industrial look.

          Comment


          • #15
            @CoreCode

            What do you think about adding track parts that can be used in a much simpler editor inside the game? Trackmania users can simply upload new tracks - a racing game needs lots of tracks when it wants to be played more often - a strong community aspect really would help. What do you think about the TM editor? TM works with wine btw.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Kano View Post
              @CoreCode

              What do you think about adding track parts that can be used in a much simpler editor inside the game? Trackmania users can simply upload new tracks - a racing game needs lots of tracks when it wants to be played more often - a strong community aspect really would help. What do you think about the TM editor? TM works with wine btw.
              making it easier to create tracks certainly is a worthwhile goal. i'm not sure whether its really possible to import from another track editor though:
              we need the track course as a spline (probably possible)
              we need all geometry in standard 3D formats - don't know whether TM editor has export to something else than their own format
              because of the gameplay concept we need collision borders for the track - don't know whether something like this is possible in TM editor

              generally there are two parts in creating a track:
              *creating the track itself: this is already very very easy in something like Cinema4D/Blender/etc. basically you just need to track the spline points around. so not much is gained by a track editor
              creating the decoration geometry to make the track look cool. this is hard and track editors solve this problem by allowing users to just place pre-fabricated objects. i don't think tracks made with pre-fabricated objects look all that cool though.

              i'd be happy to see either import options or additions to the built-in 3D editor made to facilitate easier track building but once i get some time to work on CB itself i will probably work instead on the #1 request with the game which is improved steering feel.

              Comment


              • #17
                At least the TM tracks do not look grey in grey... A bit more color even in a demo track would not hurt.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  At least the TM tracks do not look grey in grey...
                  the demo track is probably the least interesting visually. it was chosen because it's medium speed. the introductionary/slow tracks probably would put off people thinking "man that game is much too slow, how boring" and the faster tracks would be impossible to play without first training on the slow tracks.

                  Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  A bit more color even in a demo track would not hurt.
                  agreed ;-)

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X