Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apply To Be Part Of The Valve Linux Beta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Chillax

    Just filled in the survey. The driver question was a little silly, but it is not such a big deal.

    necro-lover: Plenty of ex-windows users have steam accounts, so requiring people to have a steam account is reasonable. Chillax my friend.

    Comment


    • #42
      Really bad survey.

      I can understand that they want only ubuntu users for now (looking at the driver choices), but they specifically tell that they want the test to be performed on different hardware. How am I supposed to know which one of the 4 machines I have (and can easily dual boot to Ubuntu just for Steam testing) are least common?! What has my day-to-day choice of DE to Steam gaming? Isn't the whole point of testing to do it on at least few DEs or raw window managers? Same with drivers, if I'm going to be testing, I'd test both the OSS and closed source drivers for the GPU...

      Comment


      • #43
        Guys, don't forget that the linux world is new for Valve. They may expect linux users to be like windows users, hence the bad survey. So our job now is to show them that we are different just like the OS we choose.

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by Kano View Post
          @entropy

          I see no reason why a deb for U would not work on Debian when done correctly.
          Sorry, my point was that choosing anything different than Ubuntu in
          the survey won't (probably) grant you access to the beta this time.
          Last edited by entropy; 10-27-2012, 07:39 AM.

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
            No survey for me using Firefox on Ubuntu 12.10, just submits emediatly...
            I had the exact same problem with chromium. I clicked the login button and then I was immediately thanked for submitting the survey, even though I hadn't been presented with any options.

            If I try to repeat the survey I get the message: "You have already completed the survey. Thanks!".


            Rather frustrating.

            Comment


            • #46
              I had no problem, I used ubuntu 12.10 and Firefox 16.0.2.
              For those who had problem, it could be the cookies settings.

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by jophos View Post
                I had the exact same problem with chromium. I clicked the login button and then I was immediately thanked for submitting the survey, even though I hadn't been presented with any options.

                If I try to repeat the survey I get the message: "You have already completed the survey. Thanks!".


                Rather frustrating.
                Can't you just create another Steam account for the beta (as a workaround)?
                Of course you still need a setup which works...
                Last edited by entropy; 10-27-2012, 10:06 AM.

                Comment


                • #48
                  I recommend that you guys don't fill out the survey. Especially the mentally ill necro-lover. Do us all a favor and don't get anywhere near Steam and its games.

                  That way there's more of a chance for us non-whiners to get selected.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by boast View Post
                    I recommend that you guys don't fill out the survey. Especially the mentally ill necro-lover. Do us all a favor and don't get anywhere near Steam and its games.

                    That way there's more of a chance for us non-whiners to get selected.
                    Exactly. Something good comes to Linux and people have nothing better do to than to be butthurt crybabys whining about a stupid survey.
                    *mimimimimi* I have multiple systems! *mimimi* Where is Slackware? *mimimimimi* I'm a distro developer and therfore more important *mimimi* What about hybrid graphics *mimimi* I have SLI let me specify this *mimimimi* Years of use is not a good measurement of how much of an expert you are *mimimimi*

                    For fucks sake...
                    Last edited by blackout23; 10-27-2012, 10:16 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by tomato View Post
                      Really bad survey.

                      I can understand that they want only ubuntu users for now (looking at the driver choices), but they specifically tell that they want the test to be performed on different hardware. How am I supposed to know which one of the 4 machines I have (and can easily dual boot to Ubuntu just for Steam testing) are least common?! What has my day-to-day choice of DE to Steam gaming? Isn't the whole point of testing to do it on at least few DEs or raw window managers? Same with drivers, if I'm going to be testing, I'd test both the OSS and closed source drivers for the GPU...
                      I feel pretty much the same for the most part. I have two capable gaming computers running arch and mint why not let me test them both? It should be a proper which distros are you currently using and FFS get some distros in the checklist.... "other"?

                      Okay I am not an employee but the way I feel the survey should be (at least from a technical perspective)...

                      Which distro(s) are you using?(This should just be for statistical purposes as it is largely irrelevant)
                      Arch(64/32bit)>Multilib(Y/N)?
                      CPU > cores@speed
                      What graphics card(s) vendor are you using? >model>RAM
                      which graphics driver(s) do you have installed
                      Sound system(Alsa/OSS/Pulse...)
                      Memory amount/type
                      Package manager
                      DE>WM
                      Compositor (If applicable)
                      Experience level
                      *Game ownership they can pull off your account (For client viability sake)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X