Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• id Software Has No Plans For Doom 3 BFG On Linux

Phoronix: id Software Has No Plans For Doom 3 BFG On Linux

Yesterday when mentioning that Doom 3 BFG Edition is already cleared for a GPL open-source release, I mentioned it was unlikely id Software would be providing a native Linux client for this brand new game. Those fears have now been confirmed with id Software saying they have no plans for a Linux version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

According to the reviews, that's not a loss ;P

Comment

Seriously.

Seriously. Who in the Windows world would even care about the existence of such a game? I see absolutely no reason for not bringing this game to Linux, perhaps even exclusively to Linux.

It's not like the Windows gamers don't have something better to play anyway.

Edit: Also, what soft of mockery is this, making your game GPL-lisenced and then not actually providing a Linux port. This is just ludicrous.
      Last edited by M1kkko; 21 October 2012, 06:45 AM.

Comment

ID were ahead of the time in providing linux support. It's shocking timing that just as Valve and others are taking the platform more seriously, ID have decided to publicly deride and ignore it.

Sadly for ID, their sudden change in stance may backlash - I've bought their (sometimes weak) Windows-only titles before in support of their linux attitude generally... now I'm not touching a thing they do for pretty much the same reason. Maybe I'm not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by scaine View Post
          I've bought their (sometimes weak) Windows-only titles before in support of their linux attitude generally...
          Wait... you've been buying Windows-only titles in support of Linux?

What kind of message would that be giving to them? How would this affect their attitude towards investing in Linux ports of their games?

Comment

Source code

Nice to see they will release the source code.

Too bad it seems nobody has really done any games with this engine.
            If it wasn't the most advanced open source engine before, then it probably is now after it has been beefed up.

I wonder how Dante and ioDoom3 will go about integrating the revised code from BFG Edition with their current code improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by scaine View Post
              I've bought their (sometimes weak) Windows-only titles before in support of their linux attitude generally... now I'm not touching a thing they do for pretty much the same reason. Maybe I'm not alone.
              You're not alone ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                Wait... you've been buying Windows-only titles in support of Linux?

What kind of message would that be giving to them? How would this affect their attitude towards investing in Linux ports of their games?
                Very true. I'm talking about 4 years ago right enough, around 2006/2007 when I became more fully invested in Ubuntu (it's on everything I run - XBMC media box, 2 laptops, one server and a PC that dual boots for the odd steam game which I'm hoping to retire early next year), so hopefully not too much damage. But yeah - my last ID purchase was Wolfenstein I think.

But then, I still buy the odd Windows only game on Steam too. I've just bought Borderlands 2 and Dishonoured, for example. And I play a lot of Killing Floor.

I think possibly more damaging has been the attitudes towards studios who do make inroads in linux - ID's support obviously cost them time and money without definable returns, EA was positively ostracised for having the nerve to port two browser games into the USC, and now I see comments around Valve's effort deriding them for having the audacity to choose the most popular linux distribution to launch on. I mean, haven't they head of <obscure linux distro which is somehow meaningfully different from Ubuntu>???

Comment

In case some one want to see the visual difference between doom 3 and BFG edition:

Comment

BFG is not just a mod, with improved graphics?

Comment

Working...
                    X