Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doom 3 Dante Engine Runs Faster With GLX Over EGL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Doom 3 Dante Engine Runs Faster With GLX Over EGL

    Phoronix: Doom 3 Dante Engine Runs Faster With GLX Over EGL

    Oliver McFadden spoke on Wednesday during the X.Org Developers' Conference about Dante, his open-source project that's derived from id Software's released id Tech 4 code-base...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE4ODM

  • #2
    At around 14:50 is he saying the performance loss is because of a vblank issue and that they should fixed it?

    Because of his pronunciation I didn't understand all he said.
    Last edited by mark45; 09-20-2012, 05:56 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      gDEBugger supports nVidia

      AMD's gDEBugger supports nVidia cards pretty well. There's no support for OpenCL kernel debugging, but everything else works fine.

      Comment


      • #4
        Doom 3 binary.

        With a low-latency kernel, I ran Doom 3 binary, extremely smooth at 72fps. Even with SSAA turned on etc. This was a few years ago, with 2x2.5ghz cpu, and an nvidia gtx280 card, I think.

        And that is quite a difference from standard ubuntu kernels, where people play with choppy frames. I can`t believe they bother with that, or that their kernel engineers don`t try to provide the best experience.

        Peace Be With You.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
          With a low-latency kernel, I ran Doom 3 binary, extremely smooth at 72fps. Even with SSAA turned on etc. This was a few years ago, with 2x2.5ghz cpu, and an nvidia gtx280 card, I think.

          And that is quite a difference from standard ubuntu kernels, where people play with choppy frames. I can`t believe they bother with that, or that their kernel engineers don`t try to provide the best experience.

          Peace Be With You.

          Every single post Michael has put up on low-latency kernals have shown that its equal or worse than the standard kernal.

          Comment


          • #6
            In practise framerate is lower, and suffers from jitter. If you ever tried the standard ubuntu kernel, vs a well-configured low-latency kernel (and I don`t know if ubuntu low-latency kernels are that, I compile my own), you will notice the difference in smoothness. Standard ubuntu kernel, even shows larger jitter (dropped frames) on 30fps video! As I have said earlier, synthetic non-vsynced benchmarks, say nothing about user experience. Instead ofcourse vsynced benchmarks, at 72hz refresh rate (which also is optimal, for reasons descriped earlier), giving some idea of scene complexity, sustained at 72fps, and the jitter associated with it, would be much more useful.

            Peace Be With You.

            Comment


            • #7
              Uwaysis Low Latency Kernel

              You know what, I can boot into my linuxbox, and do a low-latency config on the latest kernel. I like to follow the developments on that anyway, and see if I can make a .deb of it, and everyone can install it, and compare.

              Low os-jitter operating system, is a special interest of mine. I will do a post on http://www.paradoxuncreated.com for those interested.

              Peace Be With You.

              Comment


              • #8
                How to compile dante?

                I tried to run the dante engine several times but failed all the time. I am using AMD FGLRX 12.6 legacy driver in KUbuntu 12.04. dhewm3 compile and runs fine. But as EGL is not present in fglrx, I could only compile it with OPENGL target. But even then it fails to run all the time. Did anybody got success running it on fglrx?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
                  I tried to run the dante engine several times but failed all the time. I am using AMD FGLRX 12.6 legacy driver in KUbuntu 12.04. dhewm3 compile and runs fine. But as EGL is not present in fglrx, I could only compile it with OPENGL target. But even then it fails to run all the time. Did anybody got success running it on fglrx?
                  Hi

                  I'll second this. dhewm3 is doddle to build. I've tested it on Kubuntu and Gentoo on my laptop. However I just can't get my head around building Dante - let alone actually troubleshooting it!!
                  Perhaps I'll just get in touch with the developer on his blog...

                  I'm also using the beta Legacy Catalyst 12.6 driver (well on Gentoo - thinks it's 12.4 on Kubuntu 12.04) - but that's probably not much of an issue if I can't even figure out how to compile the Source!!

                  I've still to play through ROE - and would be nice to try it on an "improved" version of the ID Tech engine!!

                  Bob

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by stativ View Post
                    AMD's gDEBugger supports nVidia cards pretty well. There's no support for OpenCL kernel debugging, but everything else works fine.
                    Interesting... Care to describe your system configuration? ( The easy way is to use the command "phoronix-test-suite system-info" )

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
                      I tried to run the dante engine several times but failed all the time. I am using AMD FGLRX 12.6 legacy driver in KUbuntu 12.04. dhewm3 compile and runs fine. But as EGL is not present in fglrx, I could only compile it with OPENGL target. But even then it fails to run all the time. Did anybody got success running it on fglrx?
                      Does FGLRX even support EGL?? I know Radeon does, but I thought one of the reasons that the closed source drivers wouldnt work with Wayland was because only the open source drivers supported EGL.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                        Does FGLRX even support EGL?? I know Radeon does, but I thought one of the reasons that the closed source drivers wouldnt work with Wayland was because only the open source drivers supported EGL.

                        Yes, but The library is part of the OpenGL ES SDK, and does not have support for OpenGL... The sdk only contains supports OpenGL ES v2.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Dandel View Post
                          Interesting... Care to describe your system configuration? ( The easy way is to use the command "phoronix-test-suite system-info" )
                          It's Arch Linux 64bit with nVidia 9600 GT using the proprietary blob (currently running 304.43 drivers*). There's nothing special about my system. It needed some small changes regarding the path to libGL and libCL (see the AUR package) though (it looks for them in lib64, which is not used on Arch).


                          * However, it shouldn't depend on any specific version of drivers, because I've been using gDEBugger on nVidia since the last Christmas.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Dandel View Post
                            Interesting... Care to describe your system configuration? ( The easy way is to use the command "phoronix-test-suite system-info" )
                            Strange, I was sure I already replied to this.

                            Anyway, I have nVidia 9600 GT on Arch Linux 64bit, using the proprietary drivers (right now 304.43, but it worked almost a year ago, too). There's nothing peculiar about my system. Oh, I almost forgot gDEBugger looks for libGL and libCL in lib64, which is not used on Arch, so it needs some small tweaks to make it find these libraries (it needs LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH env variable and link for libCL, for details look at the the AUR package).

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X