Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Linux Succeed As A First-Rate Gaming Platform?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    While I will not arrogantly dismiss your problems, I definitely can not verify them. I have used a multitude of ATI/AMD cards with the free radeon drivers and found them to perform fairly well for gaming without the problems you are describing. My current Diamond Radeon HD 4670 is performing particularly well. But this is taking the thread off topic...
    I'm talking about older cards , so maybe that newer cards are better supported, as i said before it's just my personal experience, no more no less

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by disi View Post
      Gentoo was the first system with a central distribution point for software, dependency check etc. !
      Puts head on desk..... I was going to talk about how portage was derived from the BSD Ports and.....

      Nevermind, you're just too far gone. There's no hope.

      F

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
        gentoo is my fav - not for elitist reasons or some other bullcarp spouted by some people but just because its super lazy from my point of view ( the machine itself will sing for a good few hours while it compiles )
        I'm a Gentoo user as well, but I see nothing about Gentoo as lazy. Can you elaborate what you mean?

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by Vax456 View Post
          I'm a Gentoo user as well, but I see nothing about Gentoo as lazy. Can you elaborate what you mean?

          well i type emerge -av <package>

          examine flags

          wait/eat/smoke/drink

          hey presto a custom system built package

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
            well i type emerge -av <package>

            examine flags

            wait/eat/smoke/drink

            hey presto a custom system built package
            For certain purpose-built applications, gentoo makes things a breeze. High performance web servers, file servers, render farms, etc.

            I've found that trying to replicate a general purpose distro is a challenge at times, especially when using the ~x86 branch. Don't get me wrong, gentoo is the closest that you can get to a nicely managed 'linux from scratch', but there are facets (x11, desktop environments, etc) that present challenges which are above and beyond the capabilities of novice users. Most of this may stem from overzealous users trying to use ~x86 or an overlay in layman. On the flip side, using the stable x86 branch would take away the reason many of us use Gentoo in the first place. We love to be able to run the latest git with a single line on the CLI (after unmasking packages, adding overlays, doing a magical chant, etc).

            I guess what I am trying to say is that Gentoo is a delight when it's on the happy path, and a life sucking hell-beast when it isn't.

            F

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by russofris View Post
              Puts head on desk..... I was going to talk about how portage was derived from the BSD Ports and.....

              Nevermind, you're just too far gone. There's no hope.

              F
              Here is a cushion
              I answered to a topic about Linux Mint and rpm packages (which doesn't fit together anyway since it uses Debian apt-get), but who knows

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by disi View Post
                Here is a cushion
                I answered to a topic about Linux Mint and rpm packages (which doesn't fit together anyway since it uses Debian apt-get), but who knows
                mint mate seems to be an excellent distro - i've not seen any major bugs, runs nice and fast and as an added bonus the name confuses people from the north east of england...

                Comment

                Working...
                X