Here Is Valve's Source Engine Left 4 Dead 2 On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    Video! We want the video, not the slide presentations!
    Seconded. I would like video of the talk as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
      DSL from cd start very fast
      Starts... the problem is not starting, the question is running. Even running from the command line using a disk for stuff is slow as hell when using a LiveImage unless it's VMed because of the I/O issue. The problem is is that you're not caching the disk in RAM and in normal circumstances you aren't going to have the 8-16 GB to be able to do so and while still having the RAM in order to be able to run the game itself.

just cut all gnome/kde and other useless stuff, just pure game and essential system elements [kernel, libraries and little configuration]
      Even cutting down to that doesn't save you what you need in order to pull this off for RAM caching on a normal system

after boot, all game fles are on ram
      Good luck with that, that's not how these images operate, and they can't do it even if you wanted to as general because most people don't have 8-16GB of RAM

booted game have access to hdd specified folder after you enter password for user. so you can save game.
      that requires excessive setup and I see it breaking very easily honestly because you're having to Chroot and otherwise

gamecd containt kernel that we need, drivers, good set of libraries.

so it can be started from cd, or from linux you boot everyday[if libraries compatible]
      okay, but what about when stuff updates? like the game.. that would require the disk image to be rebuilt by the liveimage people and a lot more downloading than just pulling in a Delta-RPM

Comment

Aren't we getting a little off topic?

Comment

...and back to topic...video Video VIDEO !!!

We want the freaking video !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            #2. Unless it's a liveUSB it's read-only, which guess what? means no saves, no updates, no mods.
            Valve Promote that there is Cloud Space for Save Games and Game Settings etc. I think the idea is not so Bad. The biggest Problem are the GPU drivers.

-----

I hope they Release the Game soon. I have psc in my pocket that w8 only for L4D2 on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
              ...and back to topic...video Video VIDEO !!!

We want the freaking video !!!
              Valve Time

Comment

Originally posted by boot View Post
                Just a quick note to let everyone know that a part of the Valve Linux team will be presenting at SIGGRAPH 2012; specifically the Birds of a Feather program.
                Tonight (6 PM in the Gold Ballroom - Salon 3 of the JW Marriott Los Angeles at LA Live), Rich Geldreich will be talking about our experience in porting Left 4 Dead 2 to Ubuntu 12.04. The talk focuses on our optimization efforts and is mainly visual; including a short time demo video, Telemetry results, and other visual media. The team will be available for questions afterwards.
                After SIGGRAPH, we'll post anything we have to share on the blog.
                Just wanted to point out that Rich's surname literally means Moneyrich in German.

Comment

There actually is a Live-DVD based Linux gaming distribution:
                  http://supergamer.org/

It actually works fairly well, and I only have 4 GB of memory.

Comment

Just FYI, here's my report on what I heard/saw at the talk:

http://www.forceflow.be/2012/08/09/v...l-anniversary/

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                      Valve Promote that there is Cloud Space for Save Games and Game Settings etc. I think the idea is not so Bad. The biggest Problem are the GPU drivers.

-----

I hope they Release the Game soon. I have psc in my pocket that w8 only for L4D2 on Linux.
                      Eww.... what you mean is that they're promoting always on internet connection DRM. Sorry but I'll pass on that.

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                      There actually is a Live-DVD based Linux gaming distribution:
                      http://supergamer.org/

It actually works fairly well, and I only have 4 GB of memory.
                      Here's the thing about that. That may be fine for OpenArena and Xonotic but that's because from a game perspective they're absolutely tiny... the packages for them are only about 1GB Just try that with the AAA games that usually are 10GB in size or larger nowadays...

Comment

Eww.... what you mean is that they're promoting always on internet connection DRM. Sorry but I'll pass on that.
                        Steam has always had an offline mode. I use it all the time.

Comment

Here's the thing about that. That may be fine for OpenArena and Xonotic but that's because from a game perspective they're absolutely tiny... the packages for them are only about 1GB Just try that with the AAA games that usually are 10GB in size or larger nowadays...
                          Yes, but when they are on the disk, they do run fine which is not what you were implying before. And you can launch games from your hard-drive to play - which I used to do all the time before the R600 Gallium3D drivers advanced well enough that I could play Penumbra, Doom 3, Quake 4, and ET:QW with acceptable performance. When it comes to seeing the various options for your graphics hardware, I can not recommend it enough. Works well on both Nvidia and ATI/AMD hardware.

Comment

It's 100% optional, so that has got to be the worst DRM ever conceived. Either that, or, you know, it's just an awesome feature they've added for people who like to play on multiple machines.

Comment

Working...
                            X