Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warsow 1.0 To Be Released Tomorrow

Phoronix: Warsow 1.0 To Be Released Tomorrow

For those into open-source multi-platform gaming, the Qfusion-engine-powered Warsow game will see its version 1.0 release on Saturday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Last time I checked, the content license was proprietary ? is this still true?

If so, I'd recommend Xonotic over Warsow any day.

Comment

Qfusion, as a stand-alone engine is dead. The last couple updates to Qfusion were basically back-porting Warsow features. That's a bit too bad, because the Warsow team is completely against having a source repo available for those who want it. You must wait for their SDK source drop after their releases. Anyway, here's the source which basically says that Qfusion is dead: http://e4m5.net/archives/34

Comment

"download of demo"? Is it going commercial, or does that just mean timedemos?

Comment

Originally posted by Loafers View Post
          Last time I checked, the content license was proprietary ? is this still true?

If so, I'd recommend Xonotic over Warsow any day.
          Yes, definitively non open source, at least for 0.5: http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changel...data.copyright

All artwork, musics, dialogues, stories, names, 3d models, etc... are under a proprietary license. This means you cannot reuse those in any way. If you plan to create another game based on our source code, remember you will have to redo all art,music,models,stories,etc...

Comment

Renderer?

Any changes to the renderer?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Any changes to the renderer?
              What changes? It already looks every bit as good as Quake3. It even has dynamic lighting! I wonder if the bots use reinforcement learning though.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                What changes? It already looks every bit as good as Quake3. It even has dynamic lighting! I wonder if the bots use reinforcement learning though.
                Maybe because it is based on the Quake III engine?

But I was wondering, if perhaps there were any renderer improvements in this release?

Comment

Hi, I'm the one that emailed Phoronix about the game release, just here to clear up a few things. Warsow's codebase is completely open source. The media however is not, and the reason is to prevent forks. Many of you may already know about Xonotic being forked from Nexuiz.

Warsow's engine is the Qfusion project, and can be used to create a game from. Qfusion is based on idtech 2, the Quake II engine, not idtech 3. Though it actually supports loading maps from idtech 1, 2 and 3.

I'm not an expert on the project, but Qfusion has many improvements, such as netcode, very fast loading of content, rendering improvements, and some rendering features you'd see in idtech 4. I'm not quite sure on the specifics, but it's a pretty massive project for mainly one person.

To be clear about the post, the full game is being released tomorrow, not a demo of any sort.

I hope that clears up everyone's questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Simonlc View Post
                    Warsow's codebase is completely open source. The media however is not, and the reason is to prevent forks. Many of you may already know about Xonotic being forked from Nexuiz.
                    Isn't forking a good thing?
                    If people have the freedom to fork, that's great!

Nexuiz was a good open source project, until those assholes fucked over the community and went proprietary. Then thanks to the fork in the form of Xonotic, now Nexuiz lives on!

Comment

Working...
                    X