Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warsow 1.0 To Be Released Tomorrow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Warsow 1.0 To Be Released Tomorrow

    Phoronix: Warsow 1.0 To Be Released Tomorrow

    For those into open-source multi-platform gaming, the Qfusion-engine-powered Warsow game will see its version 1.0 release on Saturday...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0Nzg

  • #2
    Last time I checked, the content license was proprietary is this still true?

    If so, I'd recommend Xonotic over Warsow any day.

    Comment


    • #3
      Qfusion, as a stand-alone engine is dead. The last couple updates to Qfusion were basically back-porting Warsow features. That's a bit too bad, because the Warsow team is completely against having a source repo available for those who want it. You must wait for their SDK source drop after their releases. Anyway, here's the source which basically says that Qfusion is dead: http://e4m5.net/archives/34

      Comment


      • #4
        "download of demo"? Is it going commercial, or does that just mean timedemos?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Loafers View Post
          Last time I checked, the content license was proprietary is this still true?

          If so, I'd recommend Xonotic over Warsow any day.
          Yes, definitively non open source, at least for 0.5: http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changel...data.copyright

          All artwork, musics, dialogues, stories, names, 3d models, etc... are under a proprietary license. This means you cannot reuse those in any way. If you plan to create another game based on our source code, remember you will have to redo all art,music,models,stories,etc...

          Comment


          • #6
            Renderer?

            Any changes to the renderer?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Any changes to the renderer?
              What changes? It already looks every bit as good as Quake3. It even has dynamic lighting! I wonder if the bots use reinforcement learning though.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                What changes? It already looks every bit as good as Quake3. It even has dynamic lighting! I wonder if the bots use reinforcement learning though.
                Maybe because it is based on the Quake III engine?

                But I was wondering, if perhaps there were any renderer improvements in this release?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi, I'm the one that emailed Phoronix about the game release, just here to clear up a few things. Warsow's codebase is completely open source. The media however is not, and the reason is to prevent forks. Many of you may already know about Xonotic being forked from Nexuiz.

                  Warsow's engine is the Qfusion project, and can be used to create a game from. Qfusion is based on idtech 2, the Quake II engine, not idtech 3. Though it actually supports loading maps from idtech 1, 2 and 3.

                  I'm not an expert on the project, but Qfusion has many improvements, such as netcode, very fast loading of content, rendering improvements, and some rendering features you'd see in idtech 4. I'm not quite sure on the specifics, but it's a pretty massive project for mainly one person.

                  To be clear about the post, the full game is being released tomorrow, not a demo of any sort.

                  I hope that clears up everyone's questions.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Simonlc View Post
                    Warsow's codebase is completely open source. The media however is not, and the reason is to prevent forks. Many of you may already know about Xonotic being forked from Nexuiz.
                    Isn't forking a good thing?
                    If people have the freedom to fork, that's great!

                    Nexuiz was a good open source project, until those assholes fucked over the community and went proprietary. Then thanks to the fork in the form of Xonotic, now Nexuiz lives on!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Isn't forking a good thing?
                      If people have the freedom to fork, that's great!

                      Nexuiz was a good open source project, until those assholes fucked over the community and went proprietary. Then thanks to the fork in the form of Xonotic, now Nexuiz lives on!
                      Sure, I love forking projects, for many reasons. Normally though, art assets aren't always the best fit for open source. Now I could come up with many examples where art is a great fit for open source, but it really comes down to wanting to keep the look and feel of the game unique. Another huge reason for not wanting forks is the inevitable community split, which again we can see with Xonotic vs Nexuiz.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Simonlc View Post
                        Another huge reason for not wanting forks is the inevitable community split, which again we can see with Xonotic vs Nexuiz.
                        Well wasn't the Xonotic a good thing?
                        Nexuiz management sold out and fucked everyone.
                        But thanks to Xonotic, it could live on under a new name.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well the good thing about Warsow is that it will always remain 100% free. If that wasn't the case though, nothing is stopping you from playing the version being released tomorrow. Sure the content might not be free, but you're still fully capable of forking the engine.

                          Edit: typo
                          Last edited by Simonlc; 07-27-2012, 09:44 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Simonlc View Post
                            Well the good thing about Warsow is that it will always remain 100% free. If that wasn't the case though, nothing is stopping you from playing the version being released tomorrow. Sure the content might not be free, but you're still fully capable of forking the engine.
                            Then I tell all my friends about it, and they tell theirs. We start playing believing it is open source and remain so and a community is growing. We contribute patches, and help the developers with the game and the game grows and gets popular.

                            Then they fuck us all over, and close the source, and go proprietary with the game media assets.
                            Then we cant fork it, because the media assets are proprietary.

                            The media assets needs to be free in case the developers fuck the community over, or if they cancel the project. Forking is essential to a healthy system where it can continue to grow and evolve. Else it is too vulnerable.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I understand your point, though it's been 7 years now, with 7 major releases. Nothing is stopping you from picking up one of those releases, and playing the game with a new client, or mod. The developers and founder are very adamant about the game remaining free. The topic has come up countless times to ask and put the game on steam for promotion, though as you may know steam only allows games that make money.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X