Warsow 1.0 To Be Released Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crizis View Post
    For example we're likely first, or at least one of the very first open source engine projects to bring modern-day engine stuff to the open source engines, like hardware rendered models (classic Quake 2/3 engine forks do this in the CPU, being very inefficient in model rendering).
    Several open 3d engines have been doing that for a long time (ogre, cs, irrlicht...). Perhaps you mean to open id engines, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Several open 3d engines have been doing that for a long time (ogre, cs, irrlicht...). Perhaps you mean to open id engines, etc?
      Yes, I mean these ones which actual games use.

Comment

You'd be surprised

Comment

Hey there
          Hello to you

I wanna clear one thing up: Warsow is the Qfusion and Qfusion is far from dead 1.0 engine changes are ernomous, making the engine pretty darn modern in many aspects: Hardware rendered skeletal animations, incredibly high map performance with VBO's, octagon hitboxes, nice e-sport features like r_drawflat etc. You can read more about our new engine stuff here.
          I guess I would have personally just preferred the game and engine to have been kept separate.

Secondly we do have our reasons for keeping semi-closed* repository. The engine projects we have are always pretty gigantic, multi-month projects which need big commitment from the guys who do them. For example we're likely first, or at least one of the very first open source engine projects to bring modern-day engine stuff to the open source engines, like hardware rendered models (classic Quake 2/3 engine forks do this in the CPU, being very inefficient in model rendering).
          I call BS on this one outright. If you're properly using revision control, that should be in a branch. Honestly, especially if you're not using something terribly like CVS or SVN and using something that isn't brain-dead like Git, Mercurial, or another distributed SCM, you could technically even keep the branch private until you're ready to merge the changes. So, I reject your argument outright on this one.

*) We're actually very open to contributors who actually commit on these projects. But on the other hand having open repository would somehow imply that we're interested in merging every random idea that anyone comes up with. This is not the case - we have our vision what the game should be, and people usually just get mad when we decline their code/features which does not fit in our vision of the game.
          First, this puts a bit of a burden on anyone accepting patches since the patches have to be against a source drop and can't be brought up-to-date before submitting them. As for the second part, I can't really comment but some kind of documentation on how patches are accepted (including what's acceptable) could be written and included in the engine. That way, there's no confusion as to what's acceptable to ask to be accepted and what's not.

For players everything is and will always remain free however. So hopefully you enjoy our release
          I usually try every release, but I don't have hours of free time for games. And just to be clear, I really do appreciate the work that goes into the game and engine, and my gripes are really quite minor (even if I make them sound like they're not.)

That seems like quite the statement to make. I'm sure the dev's at PlaneShift (which IIRC had their first release three years prior to Warsow's first release) might argue to the contrary. Just saying.

Comment

Has anyone attempted to build the executable from source on Precise? (the prefab binary complained about libjpeg15)

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
              Has anyone attempted to build the executable from source on Precise? (the prefab binary complained about libjpeg15)
              Why you build it from source? You may install it from PlayDeb.

Comment

Torchlight isn't a game?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  Why you build it from source? You may install it from PlayDeb.
                  Because I'm gonna play around with the source code anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                    Because I'm gonna play around with the source code anyway.
                    It doesn't look like there's a package for warsow in Precise, but there was one for Oneiric: packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/warsow It looks like the dependencies there should be mostly what you'll want (the -dev versions too, but you knew that already.) libjpeg62 will likely be libjpeg-dev instead. Of course, this is just my best guess since I don't have a Precise chroot.

Comment

I use Ubuntu 12.10 alpha.

$ ./warsow.x86_64
                      ./warsow.x86_64: error while loading shared libraries: libpng15.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Doesn't work.
                      I have to use the Windows version in Wine, then it works.

Comment

Working...
                      X