Valve's Gabe Newell Really Hates Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F i L View Post
    Linux CAN be super sexy, and while Ubuntu/Mint/Gnome have made massive improvements to the "shinyness" of their default setup (Mint is actually pretty great here), they're still not near as sexy as Mac or Windows 7 (debatable) from the "get go". Ubuntu's default theme is ugly, and their Gnome Shell is missing features ("Power Off", "Dash to Dock", etc..).
    Kubuntu fixed this for you.

Comment

This article features the full transcript

Comment

Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
        Its more than simple: The windows app store makes steam obsolete and this makes valve obsolete and this makes gabe obsolete.
        Steam gives you way more than a store; it's a great service tailored around games, with things like cloud storage for savegames, etc...
        Steam gives you a big community and connects you with your friends, it's somewhat like a LAN party over the Internet (I still prefer a real lan party though).
        A generic app store is nothing like that. No, I don't think Steam and Gabe are obsolete at all.

Comment

He also comments how he likes open platforms.
          Open platforms are great as long as you don't have to open yours...

I know, I know, I am asking for too much. The fact that there will eventually be access to ~2,500 games on linux is great on its own.

Comment

Games as for sure the driving force behind Windows and what keeps it floating.

Some years ago (2-3) i showed Linux to some people and even installed it in their PCs (UBUNTU) and they loved it....no virus,
            easy updates , almost all programs that the a typical John Doe needs are pre-installed (only needing some extra easy to install),etc.

...and they were quite happy with it....till then.....

WHERE ARE THE GAMES ?!?

No AAA games ?!? (except ETQW and little more)

They removed Linux and reinstalled Windows

We need native games on Linux and that's it or will never be (more) popular.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
              Open platforms are great as long as you don't have to open yours...
              I was think exactly the same.
              OTOH, this is just another example of the myriad ways one can interprete "openess".

Originally posted by log0 View Post
              I know, I know, I am asking for too much. The fact that there will eventually be access to ~2,500 games on linux is great on its own.
              Again, I have to agree.

I'm not even sure why I don't have any objections against the Steam environment...
              Over the years I experienced Steam as very consumer friendly platform,
              although it is full of DRM (be it Steam or additional publisher DRM).
              The only real problem I see is: What happens with my purchased games (or better game licenses)
              if Valve/Steam becomes defunct at some point for the one or other reason?
              This question, obviously, has been raised many times.
              So far, I didn't came across an satisfying answer.
              Simply put - no one knows.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                Some years ago (2-3) i showed Linux to some people and even installed it in their PCs (UBUNTU) and they loved it....no virus,
                *If* Linux goes mainstream, there will be viruses. Probably plenty of them.
                Not even considering compromised repositories and the like.
                Thinking of Linux as an inherently secure system is, at least, dangerous.
                It's not.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  *If* Linux goes mainstream, there will be viruses. Probably plenty of them.
                  Not even considering compromised repositories and the like.
                  Thinking of Linux as an inherently secure system is, at least, dangerous.
                  It's not.
                  I also thought of that ....but still, it's clearly more resilient than the virus-fest called Windows

Comment

Originally posted by boitano View Post
                    Steam gives you way more than a store; it's a great service tailored around games, with things like cloud storage for savegames, etc...
                    Steam gives you a big community and connects you with your friends, it's somewhat like a LAN party over the Internet (I still prefer a real lan party though).
                    A generic app store is nothing like that. No, I don't think Steam and Gabe are obsolete at all.
                    Windows appstore gives you way more than a store; it's a great service tailored around games, with things like cloud storage for savegames, etc...
                    Windows appstore gives you a big community and connects you with your friends, it's somewhat like a LAN party over the Internet.
                    Windows appstore is not a generic app store its a full service this makes sure Steam and Gabe are obsolete on the windows platform.
                    Now the obsolete "losers" try to get the old status quo back again by using linux as a substitute.

Well its nice for Linux but only superficial because the "Openness" and "Freedom" is the complete opposite direction than DRM/Copy-protection in other words bondage and forced.

Well well the future will tell us how the story ends.

Comment

Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
                      Its more than simple: The windows app store makes steam obsolete and this makes valve obsolete and this makes gabe obsolete.
                      Now Gabe realize that fact that he is obsolete and his company goes bankrupt next year now he try to fix that.
                      10 years ago there was no windows app store and gabe and valve don't give a fuck about Linux this means the only fact what force him to love linux is the windows app store.

Its more than simple he loves Linux now because its the only way out of the Microsoft trap!

Microsoft burned all thinks they have ever touched!

Linux distributions have had a software distribution system long before windows 8 was in the making so how would that be relevant in any way. Just sounds like FUD.

Comment

Working...
                      X