Serious Sam 3 Will Be On Steam For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seraphim View Post
    This is all very good for Linux but I'd rather see a Call of Duty client instead. Until gaming companies get their heads out of Microsoft's rear end then don't hold your breath for any mainsteam games being developed or ported to Linux.
    Call of Duty is a console game that has a Windows port (like many windows games today).
    The windows port is shit, imagine the quality of a Linux Port.
    MW3 has it's FOV stuck at 60.

Comment

SS3 and L4D2 ARE MAINSTREAM. Period.

Saying so, I would love to see a CoD also to attract more people to Linux (No virus , no mess XP vx Win7 vs Win8, FREE OF CHARGE OS) but that will have to wait for the results of games like L4D2 and SS3 to ACTIVISION go for it....

However, it might trigger a RAGE or BRINK client (not that i'm that thrilled with those two titles unless they solved the bugs in BRINK and RAGE is almost only SP (but there is a game that looks very similar to the RAGE universe and is only MP))

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
        Is there any official announcement regarding Serious Sam 3 coming to linux via steam? No doubt it will, but I'd like to know the source anyhow.
        I posted a citation from AusGamers in older thread.

Windows version works with OpenSource drivers (Wine/r600g) only in D3D. Both OpenGL and D3D works with binary drivers.

PS Anyone want to play CoD?

Comment

Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
          As much as I hope this as well, it's highly unlikely, because the max the Opensource drivers support is OpenGL 3.0 as far as I know. Serious Sam 3 looks like it uses a lot of very advanced shaders, probably around the level of OpenGL 4.0 or higher
          It has a Mac version. OS X prior to Mountain Lion was limited to OpenGL 2.1 (Mountain Lion does 3.2 afaik)
          And the Windows port supports Windows XP and therefore DirectX 9 which is more or less equivalent to OpenGL 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
            Could be 3.2 i think

I remember making a mod for Serious Sam second encounter back in the early 2000's.
            After refreshing my memory about the capability of different OpenGL versions, I agree with you there.

Also, Serious Sam 3 also supports mods, in case you're interested.

Originally posted by seraphim View Post
            This is all very good for Linux but I'd rather see a Call of Duty client instead. Until gaming companies get their heads out of Microsoft's rear end then don't hold your breath for any mainsteam games being developed or ported to Linux.
            Activision only ports their stuff to any platform that popular enough. Linux isn't popular, and it won't be until other developers and users jump on board. Hopefully with Valve and Croteam jumping in, things will change a bit.

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
            It has a Mac version. OS X prior to Mountain Lion was limited to OpenGL 2.1 (Mountain Lion does 3.2 afaik)
            And the Windows port supports Windows XP and therefore DirectX 9 which is more or less equivalent to OpenGL 2.1
            I see! very good then. It's just that I've noticed a lot of games tend to break or run very poorly with my ATI 5870 desktop that runs opensource drivers (they have OpenGL2.1 capability), even if those games are relatively simple.. and I doubt a game like SS3 will run at all on my machine.

Actually I'm surprised that Mountain Lion only supports 3.2 considering it just came out.
            Last edited by 9a3eedi; 26 July 2012, 01:52 AM.

Comment

don't forget that OpenGL 4 is roughly DX11. most of the games still use DX9 which is covered with OpenGL 3 and OpenGL 3.3 is equivalent of DX10.1.
              when it will be available on linux steam i will defiently buy it. i considered it before.
              IMHO steam on linux greatly increased chances for rage on linux.

Comment

Another thing..

I'm also interested to see what framerates croteam are getting from the game.. from my experience with windows, Serious Sam 3's framerate can dip quite a bit despite me having a dual 5870s. I think it's CPU bottlenecked but I'm not sure

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
                  ..., it looks like the game will be shipping to Linux desktop gamers once the Steam Linux client is officially announced.
                  That was the promise from Roman (Croteam CEO) and Alen (Croteam CTO) on their speech about making of Serious Sam held on 3rd May 2012 on Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, Zagreb.

Comment

New games coming to GNU/Linux is awesome!
                    I just hope the graphic drivers will be able to handle them...
                    As much as I appreciate Intel and AMD's opensource efforts, I am afraid only the Nvidia blob may be good enough for "new mainstream" games.

Comment

First and foremost, I believe at some point in the past I said I would apologize for my trolling once Steam for Linux became reality, and not just a hobby side thing by someone within Valve. Therefore, Michael, I'm sorry for trolling your forums when you posted about Steam.

I'm also very happy about this situation. I'm setting aside money to buy whatever launch titles there are that interest me in the slightest. L4D and Serious Sam certainly fall within that category.

Comment

Working...
                      X