Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Writes About Their Linux Client Plans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Hello Everybody ....1st post here

    Yes it's true....i registered finally at Phoronix only because of Valve plans for Linux

    As for 32bit vs 64bit....well....i have to agree that there is NOTHING wrong with a 32bit-only client and games !!!

    1st of all, no matter we are at 2012, ALL AAA games in Windows are 32bit even if dev recommends for some titles that we play in a 64bit version of Windows.

    2nd, with PAE extensions, 32bit UBUNTU is FASTER than 64bit UBUNTU, IIRC the results of tests.
    Last edited by AJSB; 07-17-2012, 07:26 AM.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      There is a distinct lack of celebration in this thread :P But then it makes sense, as those who believed Michael are not surprised by this, while those who didn't are too embarrassed to show their face.
      Indeed.

      Those who trusted Michael have been excited since some month already.
      Next level of excitement will be reached once we have
      some native VALVE software running on our Linux machines.

      I'm really hoping for a public beta and some (positive) concerning HL3.
      If VALVE makes it a launch title, this would be simply amazing!

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by AJSB View Post
        Hello Everybody ....1st post here

        Yes it's true....i registered finally at Phoronix only because of Valve plans for Linux

        As for 32bit vs 64bit....well....i have to agree that there is NOTHING wrong with a 32bit-only client and games !!!

        1st of all, no matter we are at 2012, ALL AAA games in Windows are 32bit even if dev recommends for some titles that we play in a 64bit version of Windows.

        2nd, with PAE extensions, 32bit UBUNTU is FASTER than 64bit UBUNTU, IIRC the results of tests.
        And the response from Steven Rostedt about 32bit kernel on 64bit machine:
        Originally posted by Steven Rostedt
        "Idiot! Why the f*ck are you running i386 on your nice shiny new x86_64
        machine, with Umpteen Gigs of RAM. Boot a x86_64 kernel for Christ sake
        and get your full potential. Your i386 userspace will still work just
        fine on it. You're like one of those 75 year old retirees that can
        finally buy a Porsche just to drive it 10 miles per hour below the speed
        limit with a line of cars behind them!"

        Comment


        • #34
          To get HL3 we should also get HL2 and it's episodes to have a "full" story, IMHO.

          I'm more waiting for L4D2, CS:GO, TF2 and P2 in this order....and maybe a revamped DoD.

          ....not that a HL3 would be bad !!! quite opposite !!! It's just that to get HL3 , i wanted also HL2 and it's episodes at same time....

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
            And the response from Steven Rostedt about 32bit kernel on 64bit machine:
            Like i said, the TESTS AT PHORONIX showed that UBUNTU 32bit with PAE is FASTER than 64bit.

            So that analogy with the Porsche is not that correct.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by AJSB View Post
              Like i said, the TESTS AT PHORONIX showed that UBUNTU 32bit with PAE is FASTER than 64bit.

              So that analogy with the Porsche is not that correct.
              Tests are one part (and its only few %), but the enourmous work that must be done to allow this could (and should) be simply used somewhere else. The quote of one of the main kernel developers shows how it really is.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                To get HL3 we should also get HL2 and it's episodes to have a "full" story, IMHO.

                I'm more waiting for L4D2, CS:GO, TF2 and P2 in this order....and maybe a revamped DoD.

                ....not that a HL3 would be bad !!! quite opposite !!! It's just that to get HL3 , i wanted also HL2 and it's episodes at same time....
                I don't see why they won't support those titles, as Valve owns them. Besides, those games don't really demand that much from current hardware. I see it mainly being what plays on Mac will play on Linux. However, I can see why they want one or 2 launch titles. Starting small is a good plan so they don't get blasted with issues right out of the gate.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  Like i said, the TESTS AT PHORONIX showed that UBUNTU 32bit with PAE is FASTER than 64bit.

                  So that analogy with the Porsche is not that correct.
                  No...
                  http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...204_3264&num=3

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    So...Michael got vindicated. Good!

                    Anyways, looking forward to what new games Valve will put on Steam for Linux. I'm already thinking about an easy Carmageddon: Reincarnation install that will bring millions to the developers and solidify Linux as a profitable gaming platform.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                      That would be a shame. We have 2012, I don't see the point at all in running 32 bit software on a 6-core machine with 16GB RAM and I don't want to pollute my pure 64 bit install with 32 bit libs. If they only make a 32 bit client I think I will go for triple boot: Windows, Linux for gaming (32 bit with PAE kernel), Linux for serious work (64 bit).
                      /eyeroll

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
                        I don't see why they won't support those titles, as Valve owns them. Besides, those games don't really demand that much from current hardware. I see it mainly being what plays on Mac will play on Linux. However, I can see why they want one or 2 launch titles. Starting small is a good plan so they don't get blasted with issues right out of the gate.
                        They might not want to port HL2 and it's episodes because it's an "old" game....but i hope i'm wrong....possibly, in a later effort, yes...

                        I agree with you about amount of initial tittles....L4D2 will be 1st then maybe , because of resources needed to make the port and perceived "cash return speed", they will launch next HL3 and/or CS:GO...then maybe TF2...next will follow.

                        ...and talking about "next will follow", if this is a success story, the other devs will follow next

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
                          So...Michael got vindicated. Good!

                          Anyways, looking forward to what new games Valve will put on Steam for Linux. I'm already thinking about an easy Carmageddon: Reincarnation install that will bring millions to the developers and solidify Linux as a profitable gaming platform.
                          Actually, I see it as not being vindicated, but there being proof of previous posts being entirely incorrect.
                          (note: I've never said steam/source will never come to linux, merely that any "reporting" on this site was inaccurate and/or misleading).
                          It was not official in 2010. Any official statement from Valve today can not change that it was never, ever, official back in 2010. Almost all other information was similarly wrong, with only some items from...April, I think it was, being given any credibility.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                            Like i said, the TESTS AT PHORONIX showed that UBUNTU 32bit with PAE is FASTER than 64bit.

                            So that analogy with the Porsche is not that correct.
                            No, the last test from Phoronix :
                            The performance advantage of 64-bit over 32-bit Ubuntu is clear. If you are still running the 32-bit version on 64-bit capable hardware you should really consider switching with the "Precise Pangolin" now that the 64-bit Flash is on par with the 32-bit version, OpenJDK works well on 64-bit, etc. The 32-bit situation should at least become a bit more interesting with Linux x32 support.
                            http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...204_3264&num=3

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                              Hello Everybody ....1st post here

                              Yes it's true....i registered finally at Phoronix only because of Valve plans for Linux

                              As for 32bit vs 64bit....well....i have to agree that there is NOTHING wrong with a 32bit-only client and games !!!

                              1st of all, no matter we are at 2012, ALL AAA games in Windows are 32bit even if dev recommends for some titles that we play in a 64bit version of Windows.

                              2nd, with PAE extensions, 32bit UBUNTU is FASTER than 64bit UBUNTU, IIRC the results of tests.
                              It depends largely on the benchmark.

                              http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_32_pae&num=1

                              The only advantage of the 32 bit binary, is that it tends to have a smaller memory footprint, and most such systems are without the trappings of multilib or multiarch.

                              The x32 abi may very well be the default within three years. Almost as small a footprint, but access to additional registers and instructions.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                                1st of all, no matter we are at 2012, ALL AAA games in Windows are 32bit even if dev recommends for some titles that we play in a 64bit version of Windows.

                                2nd, with PAE extensions, 32bit UBUNTU is FASTER than 64bit UBUNTU, IIRC the results of tests.
                                1. Open world games would benefit from having the possibility to address more than 3GB RAM.
                                2. Point 1 makes this point meaningless. Who cares how fast PAE is, try to run a VM with 4GB RAM on it. Again, some games would really benefit from using a 64 bit client.

                                It shouldn't be that hard to compile a program for 32 and 64 bit and let the user decide which one to use (or some kind of automatism in the installer).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X