Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

    Anybody here play Diablo 3 via Wine? Not anymore...

    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978861022

  • #2
    I play D3 in wine and it still works just fine for me. As far as anyone can tell, there's a total of FOUR people complaining of being banned... hmm...

    Comment


    • #3
      I guess this guys really cheating.

      Comment


      • #4
        Or maybe their anti-cheat program sometimes gets false positives, like just about every other aggressive anti-cheat program on the planet. VAC is known to have banned people in the past for legitimate actions taken by Steam, and Punkbuster used to be so bad that it was actually exploitable (i.e. you could type the magic strings it was scanning for in chat and get a bunch of people banned because those strings were then in their memory). Just to be clear, I'm not saying they were "banned for using Linux", just that using Linux doesn't make you immune to false positives for other reasons, and Blizzard couldn't have extensively tested for such under current distros + current Wine releases, so the likelihood of hitting a blind spot in their testing is higher in that situation.
        Last edited by Ex-Cyber; 07-03-2012, 09:14 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
          Or maybe their anti-cheat program sometimes gets false positives, like just about every other aggressive anti-cheat program on the planet. VAC is known to have banned people in the past for legitimate actions taken by Steam, and Punkbuster used to be so bad that it was actually exploitable (i.e. you could type the magic strings it was scanning for in chat and get a bunch of people banned because those strings were then in their memory). Just to be clear, I'm not saying they were "banned for using Linux", just that using Linux doesn't make you immune to false positives for other reasons, and Blizzard couldn't have extensively tested for such under current distros + current Wine releases, so the likelihood of hitting a blind spot in their testing is higher in that situation.
          Really?

          "Unsupported Hardware or Software

          Although our games are often playable on a lot of unsupported hardware and software configurations, these same setups will often block the system survey from completing its job. Some of the unsupported hardware and software that can issues with our system survey include: Unlawfully obtained operating systems (pirated copies) User-modified Mac operating systems running non-standard hardware Unsupported operating systems such as Linux or AmigaDOS
          If you are unable to connect to our game during a system survey period due to unsupported hardware or software, you will either need to temporarily play on a supported system or wait until the survey period is over to resume playing. System surveys typically last for about a week, but may run for a shorter or longer time."

          http://us.battle.net/support/en/arti...roubleshooting

          Comment


          • #6
            I have no sympathy for the people who pay Blizzard for the game. Serves you right.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              I have no sympathy for the people who pay Blizzard for the game. Serves you right.
              I do not own Diablo 3 yet and won't for the foreseeable future but I am curious; do you suggest that people should pirate the game instead?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                I do not own Diablo 3 yet and won't for the foreseeable future but I am curious; do you suggest that people should pirate the game instead?
                It is not possible to pirate the game at this point. In the same way that it is not possible to use the game offline. All that you get when you buy the game is the graphics and sound data together with a client. The game logic is completely implemented on their servers. So if their servers go down for maintenance you are not able to play the game. And this is a single player game, not a MMORPG.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                  It is not possible to pirate the game at this point. In the same way that it is not possible to use the game offline. All that you get when you buy the game is the graphics and sound data together with a client. The game logic is completely implemented on their servers. So if their servers go down for maintenance you are not able to play the game. And this is a single player game, not a MMORPG.
                  Thank you for enlightening me. That sounds like the kind of DRM I would not wish to ever come across. I'll humbly stick with GOG.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wow, so many ignorant People on a single thread... shocking.
                    Edit:
                    Just to be clear, not this Thread, the Thread in the link
                    Last edited by bug!; 07-03-2012, 12:55 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X