Humble Indie Bundle V Generates Five Million USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    But if you're going to play any of the other games, you should at least offer some kind of money IMO.

It's a lot of hard work making games like that. If people aren't going to be rewarded for their work, they just won't do it... and the talent will be lost.
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Apparently you didn't exist before the HIB?

Which is exactly why they accept direct donations.

I don't take any issue with format swapping. But is that the only one you are playing for free? It certainly didn't sound like it before.

Edit:
    I dislike proprietary software as much as the next guy, but if you think it's ok to violate their copyrights, you are also arguing that it would be fine for them to violate the GPL. There's no difference. In that direction, lies the Chinese system, where manufacturers violate the GPL constantly, just like they all pirate Windows and other software.
    I don't think I'm alone in using the HIBs as a reminder to donate money to the EFF, and so what if I slash the payouts to the developers and usually don't give the HIB team a cut? as before, I'm not violating anyone's copyright as these companies agreed to these terms, they are merely holding a charity benefit, they are using their games to promote charities and to gauge their future success in the market by using the HIB as an adverting launchpad to reach many more people then they normally would. But we as charitable donators don't have to actually give the developers anything as the organization is fine with receiving $0.01 dollars per downloader.

Besides, it's only the stupid companies that are actual using the HIB to LAUNCH a new game, they needed to launch via Desura, Gamolith and Steam, wait a year to see how sales go then use the HIB to get a final boost in sales and keep their name out there as well as raise excess capital for their next game.

So yeah, I'm perfectly fine with giving all of the $20-50 I spend on HIBs that aren't a stupid money grab of previously released games to the EFF. And maybe it's for political reasons I don't want the EFF showing up in my credit card statement, I may be paranoid, but the US government is trying really hard to use Orwellian novels as a governance manual...

[EDIT]
    And nowhere did I say anything about propritary software, sure I don't perfer it, but I don't mind it for a game, I'm only wholly against it being pert of the driver stack, hence why I don't use the blob drivers.
    Last edited by Kivada; 19 June 2012, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      I don't think I'm alone in using the HIBs as a reminder to donate money to the EFF, and so what if I slash the payouts to the developers and usually don't give the HIB team a cut? as before, I'm not violating anyone's copyright as these companies agreed to these terms, they are merely holding a charity benefit, they are using their games to promote charities and to gauge their future success in the market by using the HIB as an adverting launchpad to reach many more people then they normally would. But we as charitable donators don't have to actually give the developers anything as the organization is fine with receiving $0.01 dollars per downloader.

Besides, it's only the stupid companies that are actual using the HIB to LAUNCH a new game, they needed to launch via Desura, Gamolith and Steam, wait a year to see how sales go then use the HIB to get a final boost in sales and keep their name out there as well as raise excess capital for their next game.

So yeah, I'm perfectly fine with giving all of the $20-50 I spend on HIBs that aren't a stupid money grab of previously released games to the EFF. And maybe it's for political reasons I don't want the EFF showing up in my credit card statement, I may be paranoid, but the US government is trying really hard to use Orwellian novels as a governance manual...
      Cool.

Then you'll be consistent and not play the games you didn't pay for. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Cool.

Then you'll be consistent and not play the games you didn't pay for. Nothing wrong with that.
        Nope, I don't subscribe to your holier then thou morality. I paid into the charity of my choosing that they where promoting, any money given to the developers is a tip for their participation in this charity fund drive and nothing more.

It's people like yourself that stupidly think the HIB is actually a business model instead of what it is: Games being used as an incentive for you to donate to charity.
        Last edited by Kivada; 19 June 2012, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post

[EDIT]
          And nowhere did I say anything about propritary software, sure I don't perfer it, but I don't mind it for a game, I'm only wholly against it being pert of the driver stack, hence why I don't use the blob drivers.
          I didn't realize i had switched from talking from uid over to you.

uid has been all over these forums talking about how he doesn't pay for any proprietary software and just downloads it for free.

I wasn't even particularly discussing the hib in regards to him, that was just the current topic in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            I actually have to agree. This is not really making that much of a protest otherwise.
            Yes it is, because I am voting with my wallet.
            I give money to open source software developers while refusing to pay proprietary software developers.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            People like you are why DRM is infesting this planet...
            How so?
            HIB allows me to give 0% to HIB and 0% to developers, and 100% to charity.
            If they didn't like this, they would have prevented this. I am allowed to.

Comment

Comparatively high profile games in this one.

However, I freaked out when I found out Bastion and Sword&Sorcery used mono.
              Why would I want a technology that's a derivative of a framework from a company that still has to prove they are willing to compete on equal terms instead of waving around bogus patents?
              What's wrong with SDL?

Between that and the WINE bottle... I chose Linux because I wanted as little to do with microsoft as possible, what's so hard to understand?

Worst of all is that pointing out that kind of stuff gets you "darn whiners, be happy you get games". And still having microsoft control what I can play on an OS they want gone? Screw that!

I'm thankful to developers considering my platform, but seriously guys, that doesn't help me in the long run if you're only focusing on your immediate convenience.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                However, I freaked out when I found out Bastion and Sword&Sorcery used mono.
                S&S does not use Mono.

Why would I want a technology that's a derivative of a framework from a company that still has to prove they are willing to compete on equal terms instead of waving around bogus patents?
                What's wrong with SDL?
                Bastion was written originally as an Xbox Live Arcade title. They didn't rewrite it from scratch for different platforms, they stuck with the existing code & fixed up the middleware to handle it.

Between that and the WINE bottle... I chose Linux because I wanted as little to do with microsoft as possible, what's so hard to understand?
                Most people don't use Linux because they're on a crusade, they use it because it's better?

Worst of all is that pointing out that kind of stuff gets you "darn whiners, be happy you get games". And still having microsoft control what I can play on an OS they want gone? Screw that!
                How, precisely, are Microsoft controlling your ability to play Bastion?

I'm thankful to developers considering my platform, but seriously guys, that doesn't help me in the long run if you're only focusing on your immediate convenience.
                So you'd have done a from-scratch rewrite of Bastion to a platform that you find more tasteful, in the same time or less as the minimal patching of MonoGame to allow it to work on OSX and Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
                  S&S does not use Mono.
                  Aww wtf I got references on that yesterday. Well that'll teach me, only sticking to google's summary.

Bastion was written originally as an Xbox Live Arcade title. They didn't rewrite it from scratch for different platforms, they stuck with the existing code & fixed up the middleware to handle it.
                  Yes, and that's still my point. They could go crossplatform from the beginning, with no strings attached. That's what I want to see and wonder why the use of SDL isn't more widespread, from a technical standpoint.

Most people don't use Linux because they're on a crusade, they use it because it's better?
                  Which still doesn't mean microsoft should have any say in Linux-related matters?

How, precisely, are Microsoft controlling your ability to play Bastion?
                  Not Bastion here and now, stuff ported from xna tomorrow. Leaving the patent can of worms aside, mono stuff has to follow whatever microsoft release first on the c#/.net/xna front, correct? I mean, it's on the front page of the monogame site: "allowing xna developers to port to other platforms". That screams second class citizen to me. I'd love to get facts on how mono is immune to Embrace, Extend, Extinguish though (I really do).

So you'd have done a from-scratch rewrite of Bastion to a platform that you find more tasteful, in the same time or less as the minimal patching of MonoGame to allow it to work on OSX and Linux?
                  No, I'd have skipped a framework tied to a single for-profit company with a long history of being barely legal jackasses all together, right from the beginning.

Comment

No, I'd have skipped a framework tied to a single for-profit company with a long history of being barely legal jackasses all together, right from the beginning.
                    Which is probably why you are posting on a Phoronix message board rather than creating award winning games.

The Bastion devs don't care about linux. Or Windows. Or any thing related. They just wanted to make a cool game, and picked out what they viewed as the best possible way of doing so given their economic situation.

I, for one, am glad that we have the ability to play these games on linux. If people don't want to play them because they use mono, well, that's fine too. Just don't play them.

Comment

Aww wtf I got references on that yesterday. Well that'll teach me, only sticking to google's summary.
                      There are three Mono-based Humble Bundle games:
                      • Bastion
                      • Spacechem
                      • Atom Zombie Smasher

Yes, and that's still my point. They could go crossplatform from the beginning, with no strings attached. That's what I want to see and wonder why the use of SDL isn't more widespread, from a technical standpoint.
                      They *did* go crossplatform. Using Mono means the game works on Windows, Mac, Linux, and mobiles.

And they *did* use SDL. MonoGame, the framework they used, uses Tao.SDL, a binding to SDL, on non-Windows platforms, as a back-end.

If they had gone for "only" C and SDL, which is pretty obviously what you're calling for, then they would not have been able to sell hundreds of thousands of copies on the Xbox, because SDL isn't an option to Xbox developers.

Which still doesn't mean microsoft should have any say in Linux-related matters?
                      Who said they have a say? They didn't publish Bastion, Warner Brothers did.

Not Bastion here and now, stuff ported from xna tomorrow. Leaving the patent can of worms aside, mono stuff has to follow whatever microsoft release first on the c#/.net/xna front, correct? I mean, it's on the front page of the monogame site: "allowing xna developers to port to other platforms". That screams second class citizen to me.
                      There are a whole bunch of XNA developers in the wild already. MonoGame's first priority is to enable those developers to go from being "Windows and WP7 and Xbox 360" developers to being "Windows and WP7 and Xbox 360 and Mac and iOS and Linux and Android and PS3" devs. It's perfectly possible to write new games directly for Linux with MonoGame, which is why I've submitted a package for it to Debian - so people can build cross-platform game code really easily and target a whole bunch of platforms.

I'd love to get facts on how mono is immune to Embrace, Extend, Extinguish though (I really do).
                      It's not. Mono has been embracing & extending .NET for years, which is why it's ended up overtaking .NET in many areas. For example, MonoGame is the only way to publish an XNA game for the Windows 8 app store - Microsoft XNA games cannot be sold via the app store because they do not integrate with the Metro UI, but MonoGame developers do not have this restriction, because MonoGame is Free Software and Free Software can do whatever the hell its developers want it to. Even Microsoft used Mono-based Unity3D to make iPad and Android ports of one of its games.

And skipped the possibility of selling your game to 70 million Xbox owners, presumably?

Comment

Working...
                      X