Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Unreal Engine 4 Games Come To Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will Unreal Engine 4 Games Come To Linux?

    Phoronix: Will Unreal Engine 4 Games Come To Linux?

    This week from the E3 Expo there's been new details to emerge about Unreal Engine 4 as the latest game engine that's in development by Epic Games. But will there be any native UE4 Linux games to come or will it face a similar fate to Unreal Engine 3 on Linux?..

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExNjE

  • #2
    Great, now we have a reason for another 50 articles for 5 years talking about how it didn't yet come to Linux.

    Comment


    • #3
      The article body could have answered the headline with just two letters. To even entertain the possibility seems somewhat silly.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Great, now we have a reason for another 50 articles for 5 years talking about how it didn't yet come to Linux.
        Haha, made my day

        Comment


        • #5
          From what is known throughout the gaming industry, Microsoft paid Epic to drop their x86 GNU/Linux support, but notably not the PowerPC GNU/Linux support (PS3). For Epic it was more profitable to accept the money from Microsoft than to sell products.

          Given the changes in the industry, Microsoft probably will not be able to affect a similar stifling this go-around. For starters, the Unreal Engine has significant competition from engines such as Unity3D, Unigine, and Valve Source; all of which either already have, or are implementing, native GNU/Linux support. When Microsoft paid Epic off this kind of competition did not exist.

          In addition AMD has reportedly landed the central processor contract for Project Orbis, aka Playstation 4. Assuming that the reports are correct and that Sony is indeed leveraging an x86/64 compiled Chromium/Linux base, Epic will have to produce an x86/64 client for UE4 that will have to run on x86/64 /Linux kernel systems. This is not even getting into Sony's Playstation Suite plans, which already promises to provide Playstation content to any device capable of running Playstation Suite. Developers wanting to use UE4 to build games for Sony platforms or the Playstation Suite might be a tad bit pissed if Epic's x86/64 /Linux support was not up to snuff.

          Looking at what the industry is doing, Epic cannot afford to accept another bribe from Microsoft to stop /Linux support or development.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by johnc View Post
            The article body could have answered the headline with just two letters. To even entertain the possibility seems somewhat silly.
            Ja? Oh that would be great

            Originally posted by Saist View Post
            From what is known throughout the gaming industry, Microsoft paid Epic to drop their x86 GNU/Linux support, but notably not the PowerPC GNU/Linux support (PS3). For Epic it was more profitable to accept the money from Microsoft than to sell products.

            [...]
            Wouldn't that be illegal? BTW, the vanilla PS3 doesn't sport a Linux-based OS, but instead one using either FreeBSD or XNU with a lot of proprietary stuff around it. And there's a lot more to console programming than just the kernel, e.g. graphics, sound, package system, dependencies. All these things make developing for console a wholly different story than developing for PC, regardless of the OS it is running.

            Comment


            • #7
              Phoronix - Never thought I would find a "Linking Error" desirable at some point.

              Comment


              • #8
                Epic are those guys that not long ago said "f u PC gamers, we're doing console games now. Nyeh Nyeh". Why you'd expect them to have a new game engine on Linux eludes me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by who_me View Post
                  Epic are those guys that not long ago said "f u PC gamers, we're doing console games now. Nyeh Nyeh". Why you'd expect them to have a new game engine on Linux eludes me.
                  There's a good reason - more recently, they said "f u console players, your consoles are too low-powered, we're going back to PC games now."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "Will Unreal Engine 4 Games Come To Linux?"



                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The problem is not a Linux port, but an Api-Less technology ware developers cannot cut OpenGL suport. When you program a game with Unigine, you can compile it for all CPUs Cisc and Risc. It will run equally on GCC or on Windows alternative, but also will run on native Wine because Unigine does not use things that are not present in alternative C,C++ libraries. Regardless if you run Linux or Windows, you will have native both OpenGL and D3D choices,no back-ends, no D3D to OpenGL translations with slow graphics.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Will Unreal Engine 4 Games Come To Linux?
                        No.
                        /Sorry, couldn't resist.
                        DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
                        SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
                        BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
                        LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A company that released an engine that was so modular and so well-designed that its graphics renderer and audio renderer were completely interchangeable with third-party implementations (going so far as to have a third party add support for DirectX 11 in Deus Ex, an Unreal Engine 1 game) can't release UE4 with an OpenGL (probably 3.x or 4.x) renderer?! Come on.

                          Epic is even more advanced and experienced now than they were back in the late 90s. What's keeping them from continuing to create cross-platform code, a technique they learned how to do more than 14 years ago?

                          Assuming they have the code there, and their OpenGL renderer works (which seems to be the case according to the article), then all they have to do is sell the engine license to someone who's going to create a game, and then we (as a community) are responsible for convincing the licensee to distribute a Linux build. It's really that simple.

                          Don't be cynical about it guys. It just takes the right licensee with the right perspective to get a "yes". Imagine a canyon with two cliffs a great distance away, and the two cliffs have been gradually inching closer to one another as the years have gone by. Whereas before bringing your game to Linux was equivalent to jumping 20 meters (bring your pole vault or catapult or cannon), now it's about 3 meters. Hopefully the cliffs will literally meet in a few years' time, but right now it isn't a huge leap for a developer to decide to support Linux. This really seems to be the year of Linux gaming, although I think it's too early to call it the year of the Linux desktop. That, however, is not going to be far behind the deluge of games.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                            A company that released an engine that was so modular and so well-designed that its graphics renderer and audio renderer were completely interchangeable with third-party implementations (going so far as to have a third party add support for DirectX 11 in Deus Ex, an Unreal Engine 1 game) can't release UE4 with an OpenGL (probably 3.x or 4.x) renderer?! Come on.

                            Epic is even more advanced and experienced now than they were back in the late 90s. What's keeping them from continuing to create cross-platform code, a technique they learned how to do more than 14 years ago?

                            Assuming they have the code there, and their OpenGL renderer works (which seems to be the case according to the article), then all they have to do is sell the engine license to someone who's going to create a game, and then we (as a community) are responsible for convincing the licensee to distribute a Linux build. It's really that simple.

                            Don't be cynical about it guys. It just takes the right licensee with the right perspective to get a "yes". Imagine a canyon with two cliffs a great distance away, and the two cliffs have been gradually inching closer to one another as the years have gone by. Whereas before bringing your game to Linux was equivalent to jumping 20 meters (bring your pole vault or catapult or cannon), now it's about 3 meters. Hopefully the cliffs will literally meet in a few years' time, but right now it isn't a huge leap for a developer to decide to support Linux. This really seems to be the year of Linux gaming, although I think it's too early to call it the year of the Linux desktop. That, however, is not going to be far behind the deluge of games.
                            Of all the games that used UE2 or UE2.5 (the engines behind UT2003, respectively UT2004), how many were actually released for Linux? There is a Mac version of UE3, so the OpenGL renderer is there, still there is no sight of a Linux version of it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mememe View Post
                              Of all the games that used UE2 or UE2.5 (the engines behind UT2003, respectively UT2004), how many were actually released for Linux? There is a Mac version of UE3, so the OpenGL renderer is there, still there is no sight of a Linux version of it.
                              There was UT obviously, as well as Postal 2 and it's expansion (only $10.26 on Desura!) and older versions of America's Army. There was also a Devastation port that entered beta but then died with it's developer.

                              And I think everyone is being a little unfair to Micheal on this one - I actually found this to be a rather balanced article which clearly showed an understanding of the history of the issue. I wish more of the articles were like this.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X