Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CoreBreach Aims To Go Open-Source

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CoreBreach Aims To Go Open-Source

    Phoronix: CoreBreach Aims To Go Open-Source

    CoreCode, the company behind the CoreBreach, has exclusively shared with Phoronix their plans to open-source this multi-platform anti-gravity racing game. The Core3D engine is also set to be opened up along with the game itself...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExNDc

  • #2
    > unique racing game

    uh, yeah. i assume nobody has ever seen wipeout racing games. this is as close to an exact clone as it gets. i'm worried that they are very close to being in trouble with sony because of that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Looks to me as F-Zero meets Mario Kart 64. Both games are from another era...

      Comment


      • #4
        pretty cool news.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
          > unique racing game

          uh, yeah. i assume nobody has ever seen wipeout racing games. this is as close to an exact clone as it gets. i'm worried that they are very close to being in trouble with sony because of that.
          They are all clones of Wacky Wheels.

          Very cool game btw! Looks like its based on ideas of Torus Trooper.

          Comment


          • #6
            Phoronix Exclusive?

            Please! http://corebreach.corecode.at/CoreBr...-source_1.html
            They have it on their official site, come on dude!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
              Phoronix Exclusive?

              Please! http://corebreach.corecode.at/CoreBr...-source_1.html
              They have it on their official site, come on dude!
              From CoreCode:

              ....in the forum discussion resulting from your last coverage "CoreBreach On Linux Is Ready, May Go Open-Source" we've learned that there is some demand for getting the source code of CoreBreach opened up so that there can be game mods and the game can enter linux distribution package systems. we've had some time to think about this and have concluded that we would like to make this step and pledge to open source the game once enough copies to cover the costs have been sold. since we've made good experiences with your coverage of the game, the idea for this emerged on your forums, and since the source code is mainly of interest to the linux crowd, we'd like to exclusively announce this open source move (and the coinciding price cut) on phoronix, if you are interested.....
              They put it up on their website after Phoronix already published it, etc.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                While that quote may be true, the fact that they posted it up on their own website the same day doesn't mean it's exclusive for you - it makes it public

                Just a wording issue that's all.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                  While that quote may be true, the fact that they posted it up on their own website the same day doesn't mean it's exclusive for you - it makes it public
                  It was exclusive at the time of publishing. Hell I had also been sitting on the information for nearly two days, but only felt like posting it / having the time this morning. Yesterday on Twitter was also mentioning I'd post something Linux gaming exclusive in the morning...
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    anyone know how cross-platform (i.e. arm vs x86) GNUstep is?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      They just got a sale from me

                      I'm glad this will be going open source. I'm tired of having games that only last me a few years. Being as I'm not a heavy gamer much anymore, I get a lot of replay value out of games way beyond their prime. But if they won't even install, then it's not a good investment from the get-go and I find something else.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        It was exclusive at the time of publishing. Hell I had also been sitting on the information for nearly two days, but only felt like posting it / having the time this morning. Yesterday on Twitter was also mentioning I'd post something Linux gaming exclusive in the morning...
                        Just another case of you not double checking things before posting then...my point still stands, it's not exclusive now :P

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hope

                          I hope it ends up going open source!

                          If yes, then awesome!
                          If not, then screw you guys!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                            Just another case of you not double checking things before posting then...my point still stands, it's not exclusive now :P
                            There was nothing at all to double check: Phoronix had the exclusive information at the time of publishing. Period.
                            Michael Larabel
                            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sounds great, here's hoping they reach the necessary amount of sales. This has the added benefit that there's usually communities formed around modding these games which keeps the 'francise' alive to some extent and of course generates goodwill which can help the company when they release another title in the future. I hope we will see more of this now that indie-games (which I think rely very much on a close relationship with their userbase) is becoming a massive industry (even EA wants in on the action by trying to label some of their releases as 'indie', LOL).

                              Obviously from an end user perspective it's great as it means there's a chance the game will continue to be developed/enhanced which adds to it's value, not to mention that being open source it can be ported to rare platforms on which it would never appear otherwise.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X