No announcement yet.

Valve's Gabe Says "Yes" To Steam Linux This Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those looking for more confirmation from a slightly more reputable source of gaming news
    http://www.gamingonlinux.com/index.p...for-linux.890/

My own email exchange with Gabe.

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
      For those looking for more confirmation from a slightly more reputable source of gaming news

Now I might actually think they've got some sort of plans for steam, though I'll still only believe it if it materialises. I will however stick by my guns for this site - it could be released tomorrow, and any "news" on phoronix would still have been untrue, misleading, incorrect, and just plain false.

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post

Hopefully you were torrenting some good anime.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          You do have a point.
          When I heard about Android, I was so excited about it. When I finally got one, I felt a bit disgusted with it, but stuck with it realizing everyone else is as bad or worse.
          I like Linux because its free, open source, and pretty free of DRM and malware.
          Ubuntu now have a partner repository with proprietary software.
          How long is it until we get spyware and browser toolbars, changed browser home page, popups and adware and shit like that?

As Linux gets increasingly commercialized the plagues of Windows and the proprietary/commercial software ecosystem infect us.
          This won't happen, I think that in the future linux will be like osx but free of patents.

Comment

The email I got was 100% real. Absolutely not any kind of joke or trolling or fakery or anything like that on my part at all. So if that is really Gabe's email address and it is not hacked then yeah it is very much real.
            Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 06-04-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
              Please remind me how Android isn't open source.
              The only parts of Android that aren't open source are some of the drivers, firmware, and the actual Google apps (like Maps, Earth, Navigation, etc).
              Oh, so only the interesting parts of Android aren't Open Source. Doesn't sound like Open Source to me.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
              The Open Handset Alliance develops the changes to the Linux kernel, in public, with source code publicly available at all times. The rest of Android is developed in private, with source code released publicly when a new version is released. Typically Google collaborates with a hardware manufacturer to produce a flagship device (part of the Google Nexus series) featuring the new version of Android, then makes the source code available after that device has been released.

In early 2011, Google chose to temporarily withhold the Android source code to the tablet-only Honeycomb release, the reason, according to Andy Rubin in an official Android blog post, was because Honeycomb was rushed for production of the Motorola Xoom, and they did not want third parties creating a "really bad user experience" by attempting to put onto smartphones a version of Android intended for tablets.[136] The source code was once again made available in November 2011 with the release of Android 4.0
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androi...ting_system%29

True open source organizations don't close off their source until they decide to make it "open."

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                Oh, so only the interesting parts of Android aren't Open Source. Doesn't sound like Open Source to me.
                LOL. In that case Linux isn't open source either, what with all the binary drivers and applications you can run on it.

Comment

This is pretty much how Valve communicates, if they do it at all. Gabe has done it in the past, and so has Robin (the TF2 guy). For the naysayers: Valve already supports our platform by providing server software that works pretty good on any distribution, and it includes a (very simple, cli) steam client. I'm pretty sure they will just distribute a tarball or a small installer for the full-blown version of Steam that you can put into ~/bin if you want. A system-wide installation with distribution-specific packets doesn't really make a lot of sense since Steam itself and the games you install autoupdate. Also that's how they do it on OS X.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    It's a photoshop. I was the one who sent it to phoronix. I was trolling phoronix, but didn't think phoronix would actually make an article out of it. Anyway it's fake, sorry guys for trolling you

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      LOL. In that case Linux isn't open source either, what with all the binary drivers and applications you can run on it.
                      "Linux" as a kernel is open source until you start putting binary blobs into it, yes. A distribution should not be considered open source if they cannot provide source code for all of the packages they personally are providing for that distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by kirillkh View Post
                        - finally, marginalizing the idealistic community into small distro(s) - yeah, just like Gentoo - which doesn't have a choice but to continue using the subverted infrastructure (before it organizes itself enough to start replacing it with free alternatives). It's back to square one at that point.
                        Gentoo is small and idealistic now? You're quite funny. Were you aware that "ChromeOS" is a Gentoo derivative? Google's ChomeOS, that is. They pay at least four Gentoo developers that I know of.

The "subversion of infrastructure" you mention is already happening, by the way, courtesy of Red Hat. What do you think SystemD is? Not that it affects Gentoo much; OpenRC has already done for years pretty much everything SystemD is still learning to do (and does it with far fewer lines of code).

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                          What I'm not sure is why we don't replace these blobs yet with reverse engineered code. Similar to what the nouveau guys are doing with nvidia. What is preventing this?
                          Well, what are you waiting for? Get to work, bucko!

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                            What I'm not sure is why we don't replace these blobs yet with reverse engineered code. Similar to what the nouveau guys are doing with nvidia. What is preventing this?
                            Nouveau doesn't replace the nvidia binary blob, with nouveau kernel module you can not use the closed source nvidia userspace driver.

Comment

Valve has literally no history of supporting open source or free software projects.
                              Worse still, it looks very likely they'll require proprietary drivers for their games instead of contributing to free drivers.
                              I don't like this one bit. This is not Id we're dealing with here; and Gabe is no benevolent, well-intentioned dictator like Carmack is.

Comment

Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
                                Valve has literally no history of supporting open source or free software projects.
                                Worse still, it looks very likely they'll require proprietary drivers for their games instead of contributing to free drivers.
                                I don't like this one bit. This is not Id we're dealing with here; and Gabe is no benevolent, well-intentioned dictator like Carmack is.
                                time chance people don't bet on your old socks in the future

Comment

Working...
                                X