Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long has Steam been reporting Wine versions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thoemy View Post
    About the list of installed applications:
    So it is incomplete.
    Since Steam detect WINE, I sure it may detect WINE Gecko too.

Comment

That doesn't necessarily mean that Steam cares about WINE Gecko. After all It's not really an application but more of a component, a replacement for the Windows Internet Explorer component. There is no need to look for Gecko anyway, since Wine has a special API for getting its version (wine_get_version in NTDLL.DLL), which seems to be a much more bulletproof thing to do - it's likely that Steam already uses that.

Unfortunately it's unclear whether Valve counts the OP's system as Windows XP 32-bit as it claims in the second line, or as Unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        I see, so then it's default only for Ubuntu builds.
        No. I mean if there is more "WINE Gecko" installations than 0.69%, then we able to see WINE Gecko in the list. But if we doesn't see WINE Gecko in the list, then there is less than 0.69% installations.
        Ah, thank you for clarifying. No idea what WINE Gecko is as opposed to WINE, but I assume 0.69% is the threshold that Valve uses to either depict a program or not.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
          Ah, thank you for clarifying. No idea what WINE Gecko is as opposed to WINE, but I assume 0.69% is the threshold that Valve uses to either depict a program or not.
          Wine gecko is used for the "internet explorer" for wine, basically the engine from mozilla with a simple gui. I believe it is what you get when you run "wine iexplore" (yay 8.3).
          http://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko

But if steam uses some webkit based browser now, doesn't it bring its own webkit libraries now and doesn't use internet explorer/wine gecko anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            But if steam uses some webkit based browser now, doesn't it bring its own webkit libraries now and doesn't use internet explorer/wine gecko anymore?
            Steam ships with CEF, the Chromium Embedded Framework, for all its web browser doodads

Comment

Working...
            X