Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Gamers Are Going Crazy For This New Game

Phoronix: Linux Gamers Are Going Crazy For This New Game

There's another Kickstarter-backed game that may be coming to Linux and it's causing Linux gamers to become extremely excited. In the past day I've received no less than 30~40 emails from readers talking about this possible Linux port of Carmageddon: Reincarnation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OK, so Linux people will spend their money, the project might not reach 600k, and then what happens is that the Windows version is partially financed by money from Linux people who were paying for a Linux version.

Uhm... no, thanks? Unless they give the money back if no Linux version is made, participating is a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      OK, so Linux people will spend their money, the project might not reach 600k, and then what happens is that the Windows version is partially financed by money from Linux people who were paying for a Linux version
      Anyone can cancel pledge. For example I do that in Grim Dawn case, when they doesn't reach their Linux goal.
      Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 25 May 2012, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Linux is often used as stretch-goal bait in these Kickstarter campaigns. Funny that.

I'm generally more a fan of the ones that go "We'll be making a Linux version anyway, but if we make $x we can hire someone to make it a day 1 release", like Legends of Eisenwald did.

I do wish some more of these ones that promise Linux support would get coverage in Linux media. Only the high profile ones seem to get any mention. :/

@RealNC - In theory your complaint is valid, but similarly, what if you are the only Linux person contributing, and the remaining extra $200000 is all made up by Mac and Windows donators, then they'd effectively be paying for your Linux port.

Comment

Come on people, look at the changes in the gaming world. 2 years ago almost nobody cared about Linux gaming, look at how it is changing! More and more games are showing up and the prices are pretty good, this game costs just 15 dollar!

I support this kickstarter campaign, I hope you do too! Kicktraq tells where heading toward $570,000, so it is certainly possible!

Comment

mention Lodestar also please Michael, there is finally a LINUX FIRST windows later game and your skipping it for another one who has Linux as stretch goal

Comment

Originally posted by Vassili View Post
              Come on people, look at the changes in the gaming world. 2 years ago almost nobody cared about Linux gaming, look at how it is changing!
              Well afaik the last AAA title that got released for Linux was Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, that was in 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by mewtwo View Post
                Well afaik the last AAA title that got released for Linux was Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, that was in 2007.
                Good observation, but also not a major loss. We all like our blockbusters, but the AAA market is largely filled with over-hyped dreck. I'd much rather have a publisher like Paradox bring some of its titles to our platform.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybroomhandle View Post
                  Good observation, but also not a major loss. We all like our blockbusters, but the AAA market is largely filled with over-hyped dreck. I'd much rather have a publisher like Paradox bring some of its titles to our platform.

Comment

AWESOME

I spent so much time playing Carmaggedon when i was a teen.

more than squashing pedestrians it was more about the fierce competition, the physics and huge replayability, really ahead of its time.

I hope we can make it !!

Comment

Working...
                    X