Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EA Talks About Gaming At UDS: It's Boring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    They may suck, they may use Wine, they may not care (or even know) about other Linux distros than Ubuntu, but still they are going to port games to Linux. Seriously, few months or years ago we'd take 14 games from any big publisher as a success for Linux desktop. (A lame emulated success, but still, it's a sign of hope). I know Valve is much better than that, both in their attitude and in the way they're going to achieve the Linux goal, but it's still something. I'm surprised everyone here is that negative. For me, they don't deserve to be greeted with applause there, but nor they deserve to be mocked for starting to port stuff to Linux. Also, didn't the guy say that they are moving away from Wine towards native ports? Because that's what OMG Ubuntu reports, but Michael wrote they didn't tell anything about native plans.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by sado1 View Post
      They may suck, they may use Wine, they may not care (or even know) about other Linux distros than Ubuntu, but still they are going to port games to Linux. Seriously, few months or years ago we'd take 14 games from any big publisher as a success for Linux desktop. (A lame emulated success, but still, it's a sign of hope). I know Valve is much better than that, both in their attitude and in the way they're going to achieve the Linux goal, but it's still something. I'm surprised everyone here is that negative. For me, they don't deserve to be greeted with applause there, but nor they deserve to be mocked for starting to port stuff to Linux. Also, didn't the guy say that they are moving away from Wine towards native ports? Because that's what OMG Ubuntu reports, but Michael wrote they didn't tell anything about native plans.
      Fact [if they'll porting their game to linux] please? It's from your logic, your opinion. As for my opinion:

      Originally posted by OMG ubuntu
      During a Q&A with Hilleman, he revealed some interesting information: -
      • EA have built 14 different products for WINE but are moving away from it
      • They are seeking to create a set of ‘configuration sets’ with Canonical on hardware they will support
      • They are most excited about HTML5 and WebGL – which boasts the widest reach
      • Hilleman expects China to pick an OS ‘not made by Microsoft’
      • The company will ‘showing off’ a browser-based game with Playstation 2 grade graphics at Google I/O
      • They will be judging the ‘success’ of the Ubuntu titles on user rather than ‘financial’ metrics
      Well, from information above, I think they still make some game exclusive for windows and won't porting that game to linux. But they will make games that can be played across OS: web based game.

      And if you think it's OK for playing with WINE, we don't need them to state that. Already knew that that there's bunch of windows games that can be played with WINE, plenty of good windows game among them. Time will tell who's right . Oh, and porting game is not something that easy to accomplish, dear watson! Not for one that design their stuff to just run in one platform.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by gbudny View Post
        Activision isn't bad company, beacause they had problems with Loki Software:
        Activision locked employees in a room, reducing them to tears over a period of several hours, all because their bosses were leaving the company. They are a bad company.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          Activision locked employees in a room, reducing them to tears over a period of several hours, all because their bosses were leaving the company. They are a bad company.
          Link? My google-fu is weak today.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            Activision locked employees in a room, reducing them to tears over a period of several hours, all because their bosses were leaving the company. They are a bad company.
            Interesting story

            There are 5 official linux games from Loki/Activision:

            - Heavy Gear II
            - Heretic II
            - Quake III Arena
            - Civilization: Call to Power
            - Soldier of Fortune

            Activision is better than EA

            There is 1 official "Linux game" from EA:

            Sims (Winex)

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Link? My google-fu is weak today.
              http://www.totalvideogames.com/Moder...ars-15039.html

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by gbudny View Post
                Interesting story
                Not a story, it's a fact.

                There are 5 official linux games from Loki/Activision:

                - Heavy Gear II
                - Heretic II
                - Quake III Arena
                - Civilization: Call to Power
                - Soldier of Fortune

                Activision is better than EA

                There is 1 official "Linux game" from EA:

                Sims (Winex)
                Activision and EA are would sell your kidneys on the black market if they could get away with it.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by gbudny View Post
                  Interesting story

                  There are 5 official linux games from Loki/Activision:
                  Actually Activision's only involvement was signing a deal with Loki to produce those AAA titles. Loki spent quite a bit of money to have the privilege of doing those ports- and they weren't published by Activision...they were published by Loki.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by gbudny View Post
                    ...

                    There is 1 official "Linux game" from EA:

                    Sims (Winex)
                    wasnft Medal Of Honor Allied Assault EA published?
                    i think it had linux port also

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_o...Allied_Assault

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by xpander View Post
                      wasnft Medal Of Honor Allied Assault EA published?
                      i think it had linux port also

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_o...Allied_Assault
                      This is one of the typical cases where icculus actually was paid to port the server to Linux,
                      but decided to port the client as well in his spare time, free of charge. The client is labeled 'beta',
                      as it, IIRC, says in the README that it still has lots of issues.

                      http://icculus.org/~ravage/mohaa/

                      The MoH client used the Miles Sound System, so he was required to remove it in favour for OpenAL
                      to avoid licencing issues. Maybe that's where some of the "unusual" problems are coming from,
                      assuming that he didn't what to invest too much time on the client.

                      So surely EA was not actively pushing for a Linux client in this case. It's more like EA didn't prevent Icculus
                      from porting and releasing one.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X