Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic Arts At Ubuntu Summit; Linux Games Coming?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Electronic Arts At Ubuntu Summit; Linux Games Coming?

    The news has been quick to spread today that Electronic Arts will be making a brief presentation at the Ubuntu Developer Summit next week...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5NTk
    This may well be the best contribution to Linux from Ubuntu, ever (if they don't make this a Ubuntu only solution...).

    Still, i am very very happy to hear this!

    Comment


    • #17
      Just to point out: a short (15 minute apparently) presentation by EA doesn't actually mean anything much at this point in time. They could very well just stand up and say "Linux needs games" and sit down again. They could very well try to push something like wine to take the cheat's way out. Basically there's no information on what the talk will be about, so everything is pure conjecture at this point. Unless I missed something that pointed out explicitly that EA are porting and/or making native Linux games (and if you're going to try point that out, cut through the hype and point to something substantial please).

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by locovaca View Post
        You forgot one: Bring back the Wing Commander series that you completely ruined once you bought out Origin.
        You forgot CnC series as well, Westwood was killed by them.

        They also got sued for making people work 18hours/day, so they totally burnout.

        I know this type of companies, they only are interested in money.

        Random call: "Hello, can I buy these collection toys from you?"
        (Gets a toy suddenly out of nowhere, probably $0.50 China): "Yes, we are selling toys now! Only 49,99$! "
        Last edited by crazycheese; 05-03-2012, 12:16 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by mirv View Post
          Just to point out: a short (15 minute apparently) presentation by EA doesn't actually mean anything much at this point in time. They could very well just stand up and say "Linux needs games" and sit down again. They could very well try to push something like wine to take the cheat's way out. Basically there's no information on what the talk will be about, so everything is pure conjecture at this point. Unless I missed something that pointed out explicitly that EA are porting and/or making native Linux games (and if you're going to try point that out, cut through the hype and point to something substantial please).
          I think it's reasonable to assume that if EA and Canonical have inked a deal, it involves EA making games available for Ubuntu. EA is a games publisher, Canonical is an OS vendor. Now it is possible that EA has decided to go into the fast food and catering market and intends to supply Mark Shuttleworth's bunch with baloney sandwiches for lunch for the next year, but that's rather far-fetched.

          The only conclusion that makes sense is that EA is bringing games to Ubuntu.

          Comment


          • #20
            Linux is not Ubuntu ONLY

            If they are going to support Ubuntu only, this is going to be a big fail.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Larian View Post
              I think it's reasonable to assume that if EA and Canonical have inked a deal, it involves EA making games available for Ubuntu. EA is a games publisher, Canonical is an OS vendor. Now it is possible that EA has decided to go into the fast food and catering market and intends to supply Mark Shuttleworth's bunch with baloney sandwiches for lunch for the next year, but that's rather far-fetched.

              The only conclusion that makes sense is that EA is bringing games to Ubuntu.
              Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that's the case - but it's still too early to get excited. Also, I can't find anything to show that EA and Canonical have actually made a deal. All I can see is that EA are attending some ubuntu summit (and even then, only talking for 15 minutes).
              I know how phoronix likes to make mountains out of molehills, so I was just pointing out that this news is just a molehill.

              Comment


              • #22
                I'm sure they are going to announce some games, even if they are going to be there just for 15 minutes, why Iin hell would they appear otherwise?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Stay calm & watch what happens

                  Valve ... EA ... This sounds like madness ... but who knows.

                  I'm saying: If it's true, it is really a good news, but We have to wait.

                  P.S. Playing Battlefield 3 on Ubuntu would be nice.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    YES, finally an anuall release of <random sports game>. Just what the linux desktop was missing.
                    Your hopes are way too high. I forsee The Sims XXIIV, Ubuntu Edition.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I hope it's not limited to the Ubuntu Software Center. I also hope they don't try to compete with Steam too much... because that's the last thing we need, more fragmentation.

                      Oh well. If you bring us Mass Effect, EA, I will forgive you.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
                        I'm sure they are going to announce some games, even if they are going to be there just for 15 minutes, why Iin hell would they appear otherwise?
                        There is the possibility that Canonical is paying one of their representatives to do a presentation on something of Canonical's choosing (the viability of Ubuntu as a gaming platform?).

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                          I hope it's not limited to the Ubuntu Software Center. I also hope they don't try to compete with Steam too much... because that's the last thing we need, more fragmentation.

                          Oh well. If you bring us Mass Effect, EA, I will forgive you.
                          Slow down there tiger. Steam for linux won't exist until Valve says its so, no sense in comparing one potential vaporware to another. You're just setting yourself up for major disappointment by doing so.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
                            There is the possibility that Canonical is paying one of their representatives to do a presentation on something of Canonical's choosing (the viability of Ubuntu as a gaming platform?).
                            "Ea: Ubuntu is quite a viable platform for gaming, but, uhh umm, we won't be releasing anything for it, we are just saying"

                            ummm

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
                              Slow down there tiger. Steam for linux won't exist until Valve says its so, no sense in comparing one potential vaporware to another. You're just setting yourself up for major disappointment by doing so.
                              LOL I'm comparing "what if" to "what if" . . . I don't see a problem here. You sound like you would have never believed in the airplane or the personal computer until you saw it in person.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
                                "Ea: Ubuntu is quite a viable platform for gaming, but, uhh umm, we won't be releasing anything for it, we are just saying"

                                ummm
                                With marketing speeches, I've often seen simple statements like that stretch on for longer than 15 minutes. And damn does it get boring when they do.
                                Last edited by mirv; 05-03-2012, 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X