Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
    It takes about a minute to register and GOG's policies totally fall in line with those of the Linux community. This is an opportunity where Linux users do not have to wave wads of cash around to get attention. They just have to show how plentiful they are!
    no thanks....i really don't want one more damn account that i have to remember a username and password for. hell i couldn't even be arsed enough to sign up for 7 free games from gog.

if i have to be coerced into giving them info to which they can spam me with marketing fluff...i'd rather not deal with them. the "register for a free account to perform $ACTION" has gotten out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by justsumdood View Post
      no thanks....i really don't want one more damn account that i have to remember a username and password for. hell i couldn't even be arsed enough to sign up for 7 free games from gog.

if i have to be coerced into giving them info to which they can spam me with marketing fluff...i'd rather not deal with them. the "register for a free account to perform $ACTION" has gotten out of control.
      Remembering a username and password is hard? If it is for you, try LastPass, or use more memorable passwords and usernames. In addition to that, they aren't gonna spam you with marketing stuff. I get one email per week from them. In addition to that, you can turn all that off with great ease. I myself don't bother as it's just one email per week. Do you have any legitimate complaints?

Comment

Registering alone is not enough

After I clicked the vote button, it asked me to register. After registering, it took me to their main page, but my vote had not been counted. You need to go back to the vote page and click the vote button one more time to actually vote!

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger73 View Post
          After I clicked the vote button, it asked me to register. After registering, it took me to their main page, but my vote had not been counted. You need to go back to the vote page and click the vote button one more time to actually vote!
          I clicked the button to reply to this thread, then was told I had to log in, then when I logged in I was thrown back to the main Phoronix Forums page!

Anyway, OpenID was a nice idea to solve the problem of many individual accounts with central authentication, unfortunately these days most people that implement it put an artificial limit on providers (eg "Log in with Google/Facebook" and no other option)

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
            I clicked the button to reply to this thread, then was told I had to log in, then when I logged in I was thrown back to the main Phoronix Forums page!

Anyway, OpenID was a nice idea to solve the problem of many individual accounts with central authentication, unfortunately these days most people that implement it put an artificial limit on providers (eg "Log in with Google/Facebook" and no other option)

You're absolutely correct. Anyway, I wasn't trying to make a statement, just let everyone that wants to vote know how to get their vote counted

Comment

grantek! Noticed your comment on the page where the request is. Sorry to be a pain, but I was hoping you would post it here instead as that is where I received the aforementioned minor feedback. Nobody from GOG has commented on the page where the request is yet unfortunately, despite the numerous votes.

Comment

Erm... pardon my for being dense, but why should I waste time making an account on a service that I can't use to ask for something I already get elsewhere (humble bundles, humble store, desura, gameolith)? Why add value to GOG's community when they have no interest in mine? If I want cheap digital downloads of DOS and Windows games that I then want to run in emulation, shouldn't I just use Steam, instead?

What does GOG provide that is both pro-Linux and simultaneously better than anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by jaggers View Post
                  Erm... pardon my for being dense, but why should I waste time making an account on a service that I can't use to ask for something I already get elsewhere (humble bundles, humble store, desura, gameolith)? Why add value to GOG's community when they have no interest in mine? If I want cheap digital downloads of DOS and Windows games that I then want to run in emulation, shouldn't I just use Steam, instead?

What does GOG provide that is both pro-Linux and simultaneously better than anything else?
                  No need to pardon as you aren't being dense. I am glad you asked, in fact! I haven't used Humble Bundles, Desura, or Gameolith, but let me just show you these:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/686/whygog00.png
                  http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7273/whygog01.png
                  http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/7351/whygog02.png
                  http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/841/whygog03.png

Sorry, it doesn't seem like I can post images so I just linked you instead.

Comment

Yay! Some more attention for this request!

Comment

shmerl, a user on GOG, posted this thread in response to me posting a link to this piece on the page that the request for adding Linux games to GOG is on. GOG responded...

Comment

It is evident that Phoronix finally did a piece on GOG possibly coming to Linux, but Eurogamer Germany gave it a slight mention as well it seems!

Comment

This request has now surpassed 4 000 votes. Many thanks to all those who voted!

Comment

More awareness, yay. Do vote if you have an account, and if you haven't got one yet, make one! I myself couldn't say no to DRM free gaming with no regional price tags!

Comment

Over 4 500 votes now! Great effort! Keep it up you guys.

Comment

Fun and silly fact: Just wanted to say that the request asking for Linux games to be sold on GOG now has more votes than the Steam group asking for a Linux client has members! Keep it up!

Comment

Working...
                                X