A Special Linux Delivery At Valve Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    the real point is: michael get a job over from Gabe himself with a income more than 100 000 dollar per year.

this means maybe michael close phoronix forever and start developing for valve.

in fact michael don't need phoronix to make money!

he chose to do this service for us!
    You probably should lay off the LSD... Though you do now have a special Phoronix title to avoid new people to the forums from being confused.
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
      Lol, I've hoped you've upped the site's traffic capabilities!
      This particular Kickstarter project to be announced on Tuesday by Plugable is interesting but I'm not sure that it's that interesting where the server is going to drop to its knees.
      Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I think I mentioned it in the first article that Gabe basically only would let me publicly confirm the Steam Linux client / Source Engine for Linux are being worked on but for the other stuff, plus those quick videos/pictures. I wasn't even allowed to photograph the other areas within the Linux cabal aside from that one particular system I'd been playing with that day (I had tried after Gabe said I could take those few photos/video, but then when snapping the first other photo, Rick explicitly said that's not allowed).

I've been asked/told not to publicly disclose that other information that was discussed. I got much more confirmation than I would have ever expected last week before going out there for how much information I was going to learn......

No, as said I can't share those other plans at this time... When I'm allowed to or whatever by Valve, there will be a massive carpet bombing and it will be great.
        You did mention that Gabe restricted you on what you're allowed to expose, in very brief passing that's not entirely clear on what and what's not allowed to be exposed and what you tried to capture. And if Gabe only allowed you to publicly confirm that Valve is working on a Linux port for the Source Engine and the Steam Client, then quote him! Don't put it in your own words! This is where Phoronix's laughable credibility on this particular topic is coming from!

Michael, I'm moaning and bitching because I actually like your site and I like the stuff you're reporting on. I really wish you would give this topic a lot more respect because you could have made a much bigger impact that would directly affect your sites traffic, and your income!

Comment

You probably should lay off the LSD... Though you do now have a special Phoronix title to avoid new people to the forums from being confused.
          LOL : "Qaridarium
          Qaridarium is online now "The Conspiracy Leader""

i like it

but but i do not use drugs for over 2 weeks ? and my lsd trip is long ago and the phoronix forum can prove it i write the same stuff before i ever try out lsd... no big difference.

and its funny i get a cool special phoronix title only because you get a job offer from Gabe CEO of Valve.... ok maybe its because of my speculations LOL

will you accept the Valve job offer?

Comment

Michael: Is Valve collaborating with AMD and nVidia?
            I read somewhere they gave intel some software for testing but intel didn't care.
            It would be great if this pushes the driver quality (blobs) on Linux.*
            Is this something you can share with us?

*) I'm using the AMD open-source stack right now but I guess I have to switch to the proprietary ones
            if Steam/Source will be released on Linux (unless it takes them another 3 years or so...).
            Last edited by entropy; 04-28-2012, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
              I read somewhere they gave intel some software for testing but intel didn't care.

*) I'm using AMD open-source stack right now but I guess I have to switch to the proprietary ones
              if Steam/Source will be released on Linux (unless it takes them another 3 years or so...).
              they are willing to improve the opensource driver to run the valve games as well but only in long time run. (they start with the blobs)
              This means they are willing to buy the patents like floating point graphic rendering and s3tc for example just to make it royal free to use it with open-source software for free.

this sounds to good? for valve its a logical step to sell there games to every day gamers.

the people want to play games they don't wana fight with there video card drivers.

this means you can sell more if the customers are happy!

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post

*) I'm using AMD open-source stack right now but I guess I have to switch to the proprietary ones
                I think they'd be fine with me telling those answers....

- Yes, they are collaborating with AMD and NVIDIA. Both companies have access to the Linux client and are working on driver optimizations. AMD reportedly found some code-paths on their end to improve, but in my testing of L4D2 with Catalyst 12.7 betas I had (AMD hasn't sent over to Valve any test drivers yet...), the fixes didn't seem to be in there.

- Intel not caring is bullshit. In fact, at least for the OTC developers themselves it's quite the opposite. Going through the official Intel -> Valve channels was slow for them so on the developers' behalf - at their request - I personally intervened and looks like things there are now rolling. Don't be surprised to see Mesa-related improvements coming.

- Valve has surprising interests beyond binary drivers.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

- Yes, they are collaborating with AMD and NVIDIA. Both companies have access to the Linux client and are working on driver optimizations. AMD reportedly found some code-paths on their end to improve, but in my testing of L4D2 with Catalyst 12.7 betas I had (AMD hasn't sent over to Valve any test drivers yet...), the fixes didn't seem to be in there.

- Intel not caring is bullshit. In fact, at least for the OTC developers themselves it's quite the opposite. Going through the official Intel -> Valve channels was slow for them so on the developers' behalf - at their request - I personally intervened and looks like things there are now rolling. Don't be surprised to see Mesa-related improvements coming.

Great, thanks for sharing this information.
                  Sounds really good, indeed.

Comment

I think it would be great for some of this information to be included in the articles. I realize it's publicly available here, but I'm not sure how many read the forums. I only started reading them very recently, after several years of following Phoronix.

Comment

AMD reportedly found some code-paths on their end to improve, but in my testing of L4D2 with Catalyst 12.7 betas I had (AMD hasn't sent over to Valve any test drivers yet...), the fixes didn't seem to be in there.
                      this means: the hd2000-hd4000 drivers maybe never get a lag-free working driver. because the 12.7 catalyst is the last one right ?

maybe because of this they do have interests in the open-source drivers...:
                      to catch up the hd2000-hd4000 users.

Don't be surprised to see Mesa-related improvements coming.
                      yeah maybe the other drivers also profit from the "Intel" work.

Comment

Why...

Excellent news! Thanks for sharing that.

I have to agree with Vax456 though, I wish you'd shared some of this kind of information within the first article, and some direct quotes wouldn't have hurt. As Vax456 said:
                        Originally posted by Vax456
                        You did mention that Gabe restricted you on what you're allowed to expose, in very brief passing that's not entirely clear on what and what's not allowed to be exposed and what you tried to capture
                        BTW I heard that quite a few of the Valve employees are Aussie (correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm guessing the gifts will definitely go down well :P

PS. Q - Love the new title you're sporting, ha ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
                          BTW I heard that quite a few of the Valve employees are Aussie (correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm guessing the gifts will definitely go down well :P
                          None of the Linux developers there are aussie AFAIK.
                          Michael Larabel

Comment

None of the Linux developers there are aussie AFAIK.
                            Oh well, still a great gift and it was funny sneaking it into Valve. Enjoyed the article. Here's hoping an angry Steve Ballmer doesn't smash any of the bottles you delivered!

Perhaps the aussie's in valve will be so impressed that they WILL join the Linux cabal now :P
                            Last edited by Kamikaze; 04-28-2012, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Well, that is surprising. And very nice!

Does anyone know what extensions the Source engine uses on Macs? Are things like geometry shaders optional, meaning it could quickly work on Mesa?

Comment

Can't be easy with all the excitement and having to be tight lipped, but thanks for all you are sharing so far Micheal. Very interesting times ahead by the sounds of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X