Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Best Looking Open-Source Game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    EDuke32 running the HRP:


    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Doom 3 is not open source!
      It is commercial, proprietary software.
      id Tech 4, the game engine that powers Doom 3 is open source.
      My thoughts.
      IMHO we should differentiate between (formerly) commercial software and purely community driven projects.

      Comment


      • #18
        WTF, no Tux Racer?? ;(

        Comment


        • #19
          I want to see TA-Spring and 0A.D. merge somehow. I think the result would be interesting.

          +1 for [del]C&C[/del] TA-Spring 1944; Fight, win, prevail!

          Comment


          • #20
            http://sourceforge.net/projects/stuntrally/
            Good graphics, especially with the settings turned all up, and now multiplayer.

            http://www.thedarkmod.com/media/
            Based on Doom 3, but not another FPS and has nice editor.

            Comment


            • #21
              Zero-K for now

              But this is more CPU intensive rather than GPU side. Its game for logics rather than for eyes.






              Another game using same engine, Evolution RTS.



              Both built-upon SpringRTS engine.

              Comment


              • #22
                Tests I'm most interested in:
                OpenCL tests comparing GTX580/GTX680, Radeon 68xx/69xx/79xx.

                Power/idle usage are also useful. I don't care as much about the max graphics performance, as I'm sure it's probably fine, but the GPU compute speed interests me greatly.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I tip on AlienArena and Xonotic.

                  OpenArena is missing some essential finacial things and is not developed since 2010.

                  Also, phoronix-test-suite is apparently capable to frag! Is this a new "feature"?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    I tip on AlienArena and Xonotic.

                    OpenArena is missing some essential finacial things and is not developed since 2010.

                    Also, phoronix-test-suite is apparently capable to frag! Is this a new "feature"?

                    It turns out there's actually a new OpenArena release from this year that I discovered today when writing this article... It does have GLSL support, better bloom, and a few other refinements. Here's a result file showing the old OpenArena 0.8.5 versus the new OpenArena 0.8.8 results, the frame-rate drops a lot - http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...PTS-NEWOPENA54

                    The test profile is already available for those who want: http://openbenchmarking.org/test/pts/openarena-1.5.0
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      @Michael

                      why not integrate a benchmark based on the TA-Spring engine?

                      sure we know this is "work" but maybe just ask for donation to do this?

                      Iím sure you will get more readers because TA-Spring engine is used by many gamers world wide.

                      and with high settings you really need fast hardware.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                        @Michael

                        why not integrate a benchmark based on the TA-Spring engine?

                        sure we know this is "work" but maybe just ask for donation to do this?

                        Iím sure you will get more readers because TA-Spring engine is used by many gamers world wide.

                        and with high settings you really need fast hardware.
                        Because as far as I know there still is no proper automated support for handling it within the Spring engine compared to other open-source engines. And I don't see enough donations coming in for it to be worthwhile to add support to the Spring engine myself.

                        I don't see it bringing in any significant number of new readers... You're the only one that's ever even requested it.
                        Michael Larabel
                        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I am one of the Alien Arena developers and would be happy to add any features needed to help support benchmarking. Just putting that out there.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
                            I am one of the Alien Arena developers and would be happy to add any features needed to help support benchmarking. Just putting that out there.
                            I brought it up with John Diamond before but he didn't seem interested to do anything about it after a few emails... This was probably two or three years ago though. If you could implement a timed demo mode similar to the idTech titles, etc that would be terrific! I think there may have been in the code in CRX at one point but was broken.
                            Michael Larabel
                            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              vegastrike

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Yeah, vegastrike has got some nice planet shaders, but no benchmark mode.



                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X