Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ryan's Tools For Linux Game Porting, Development

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ryan's Tools For Linux Game Porting, Development

    Phoronix: Ryan's Tools For Linux Game Porting, Development

    Last week at the Chicago Flourish conference, well known Linux game porter/developer Ryan "Icculus" Gordon shared some of his recommended open-source tools and libraries for Linux game development...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA4MjI

  • #2
    Googling a third of those libs shows this article as the only related result :P

    Comment


    • #3
      Blender - "I dont know anything about Blender." Ryan doesn't have experience with Blender but just had to recommended it as an open-source alternative to Maya.
      If you don't know anything about a tool, you shouldn't recommend it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        If you don't know anything about a tool, you shouldn't recommend it.
        Paid endorsement? Maybe someone from the Blender project bought him a beer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Interesting that Darkplaces is not mentioned, when it is hosted on his website and is one of the most popular with Indie developers, alongside OGRE obviously.

          Probably just an oversight on his part I am guessing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Valgrind - "Improve your life tonight!"
            I don't think so :P

            Code:
            vex amd64->IR: unhandled instruction bytes: 0xC5 0xF9 0x57 0xC0 0x41 0x54 0x55 0x31
            ==2786== valgrind: Unrecognised instruction at address 0x6f3edbc.
            ==2786==    at 0x6F3EDBC: CzCUBICSPLINE::CzCUBICSPLINE() (in /usr/lib64/libmodplug.so.1.0.0)
            ==2786==    by 0x6F2E314: ??? (in /usr/lib64/libmodplug.so.1.0.0)
            ==2786==    by 0x400DDFD: call_init (dl-init.c:85)
            ==2786==    by 0x400DEE5: _dl_init (dl-init.c:134)
            ==2786==    by 0x4001609: ??? (in /lib64/ld-2.14.1.so)
            ...
            ==2786== Process terminating with default action of signal 4 (SIGILL)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              I don't think so :P

              Code:
              vex amd64->IR: unhandled instruction bytes: 0xC5 0xF9 0x57 0xC0 0x41 0x54 0x55 0x31
              ==2786== valgrind: Unrecognised instruction at address 0x6f3edbc.
              ==2786==    at 0x6F3EDBC: CzCUBICSPLINE::CzCUBICSPLINE() (in /usr/lib64/libmodplug.so.1.0.0)
              ==2786==    by 0x6F2E314: ??? (in /usr/lib64/libmodplug.so.1.0.0)
              ==2786==    by 0x400DDFD: call_init (dl-init.c:85)
              ==2786==    by 0x400DEE5: _dl_init (dl-init.c:134)
              ==2786==    by 0x4001609: ??? (in /lib64/ld-2.14.1.so)
              ...
              ==2786== Process terminating with default action of signal 4 (SIGILL)
              Disappointingly, valgrind doesn't support AVX instructions. And being a Gentoo user this means that if you built your system with -march=native that you'll have AVX instructions and can't use valgrind.

              Gentoo bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=398447
              Upstream bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273475

              Anyway, it *really* is fantastic software.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Googling a third of those libs shows this article as the only related result :P
                Well, except the last 3, I know all of them ... maybe the bubble got you? http://dontbubble.us/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  Probably just an oversight on his part I am guessing.
                  Oops, total oversight on my part. I didn't intend to have a "complete engines" slide at all, so I threw it in there at the last moment for completeness with a note that this isn't close to a complete list. Mostly I wanted to talk about the lower level tools, so a "complete package" slide was always going to be an afterthought.

                  DarkPlaces is pretty sweet, and good professional games (like Steel Storm: Retribution, etc) are shipping on top of it. I probably should have listed that instead of, say, Crystal Space.

                  --ryan.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
                    Disappointingly, valgrind doesn't support AVX instructions. And being a Gentoo user this means that if you built your system with -march=native that you'll have AVX instructions and can't use valgrind.
                    I'm sure they'll fix that (soon|eventually). We went through this with SSE and other opcodes, too. They're usually pretty good about this once people start hitting it. When you can run it, you'll be surprised by the things Valgrind can dig up for you.

                    --ryan.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X