A Message From Valve's Gabe Newell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keegdsb View Post
    What about TTimo? Didn't he just leave id?
    Left id to work with another company doing non-FPS games, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
      Yeah, but even trolling idiots come out and say "April Fools!" after about 50 people are like :OOOOOOOOOOOOO REALLY????

Michael has repeated dozens of times that it's NOT April Fools.
      It's an April Fools joke ON him, not BY him. If a company wants to fill a position, they're going to post ads at industry-specific job sites, not have the CEO send out an e-mail to a tech news site asking if they have any leads.

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
        It's an April Fools joke ON him, not BY him. If a company wants to fill a position, they're going to post ads at industry-specific job sites, not have the CEO send out an e-mail to a tech news site asking if they have any leads.
        I've been told (and seen a small bit of first-hand evidence) that a lot of openings are filled through this sort of informal networking before the job description is even properly written down, let alone posted as an ad.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          confirmed. This is not an april fools joke or any other joke.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ2mftZpfGE

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
            Yeah, but even trolling idiots come out and say "April Fools!" after about 50 people are like :OOOOOOOOOOOOO REALLY????

Michael has repeated dozens of times that it's NOT April Fools.
            And he'll keep saying it till April 2nd. Either He's trolling us or Valve is trolling him.

Comment

Would that convince you all?
              No. Not at all.

Comment

For all the doubters, when I'm at their offices (in April) hopefully they'll let me record a Phoronix video with I and Gabe confirming the Linux client work... Would that convince you all?
                Sounds good Michael. Hope you can deliver.

If you can confirm this news, then I'd be interested in you writing up how you came across the first lot of news years ago regarding steam/source engine coming to linux and (if you know), why it took so long to get to this point of being publicly acknowledged by Valve? Assuming it's real, and you get your video of course...

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
                  This is just my opinion, obviously, but, if i wanted to get a programmer to work on something related to graphics on Linux, i'd contact the guy that hangs around at every Xorg summit or whatever before i post a generic ad to hire a generic guy.

I'm not saying it's real but i'm not saying it's an April's Fools joke, either, and i can certainly see the logic in that move.

just my $0.02

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    I see - few minutes ago get second e-mail, this time by Mike Sartain. He talk the same about Rayn, and ask me advice somebody else. So this time I recommended Alternative Games.
                    Though, if the job requires moving to the US, I doubt the Igios folks are interested either...

Comment

• Daniel Vogel still works at Epic but he used to work with Loki and built several Linux ports.

Comment

• Why nobody mentioned Unigine team here yet? They have successfully developed a modern engine which runs well on Linux. Even though they compete with Valve in some way, they might help - bringing Steam to Linux will likely benefit them, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by shatsky View Post
                          Why nobody mentioned Unigine team here yet? They have successfully developed a modern engine which runs well on Linux. Even though they compete with Valve in some way, they might help - bringing Steam to Linux will likely benefit them, too.
                          They live in Russia.

Comment

• Originally posted by shatsky View Post
                            Why nobody mentioned Unigine team here yet?
                            Two hours ago I send info about Unigine Corp. directly to Mike.

Comment

• Originally posted by ownagefool View Post
                              I have to disagree with you there. From your own words you are a fairly hard-liner, border line zealot, or at the very least an idealist. I'm not disagreeing with your position either, given all else is equal I believe OSS > Priority, however a pragmatist accepts that things are not always equal and are much more likely to bend in order to get what they need.

We live in a world where people need to make money, I myself do this my writing software none of which is open source. I don't see any innate right I or anyone else has has over the works of others. Game engines, for example, are typically quite difficult to write, and those who spend the time writing them deserve the option of doing so for monetary reward, and whilst there are other buisness models to achieve this, the most common is to remain closed source, which is exactly what the likes of id software do, at least for a time.

Given all else is equal, of course an open source engine, or any other software, is better as it can be ported and updated as things change. However, as a pragmatist today, I'd rather have steam, my proprietary games, on their proprietary engines than go without, or dual boot windows like currently.

That does not mean I don't have massive respect for the likes of the FSF for trying to work towards a better tomorrow, I just want to get things done today. There is the argument that those of us who bend, are detrimental to achieving the greater good; I'm not sure if I entirely agree with that (a linux with steam is potentially more popular, and thus will garner potentally better support, which with any luck with be OSS) but a guys gotta eat.

Still, respect to you if you use no proprietary software, it's a shame your ideals will require you to miss out on steam for linux if it happens.
                              Your logic is faulty.

You claim that you need to "eat", this is why you write closed source software. Correct?

If we extrapolate, you certainly mean: Writing code -> Selling it-> Getting money -> "Food" to write more code.

How about: Writing code-> Not selling it, because everyone has copied it?

Is this the reason you close the source of it? To sell more copies? So you make money by "selling" more copies, than with "coding"?

How about:

Writing code -> Not selling it, because corporations already own patents, control markets and have work force many times cheaper of yourself.

You are left with "coding" and getting paid for that.

But because you still write closed source and prefer closed source, you have to write not a typical program, you have to write whole operating system from scratch (wonderful DOS era!), a long with its errors and mistakes. More closed source buggy engines!! More bugs and more effort to write it!! This is hard work to be respected!!

This is how sun solaris engineers thought things should work.

But then come two things:
                              - microsoft with cheap chineese or indian coders (work for rice), flooding the market with cheap (and patented) closed source.
                              - opensource, where people reuse everything and get paid only for actual coding.

Now sun is dead. No one cares for dead closed source code.

Talking about microsoft, do you know they SHARE their "closed source" within the company. So they are really OPENSOURCE, but within themself. They cannot do without it, they cannot let everyone code own code and close it down, so they have 10,000 closed source parts from each 10,000 their "programmers". They are sharing internally open code.

But there is more! UNlike creating material things, programming is a process to transfer material energy into informational form (food->code). Then, you are left with a puzzle to get material payment to compensate that (code->food).
                              1) You traditional faulty dead approach is to handle information like material thing (close it down). This will not work, because Im writing this and when you read it, it won´t dissapear from here but double. Information doubles on use, material extiguishes on use. Feel difference? Now imagine, I won´t write this at all and keep it in my head. Do you really thing it will stay intact? No, it will be extict, because NO ONE USES IT. Instead of using this advantage you are trying to castrate it and this is the reason you loose.
                              2) DRM approach is to differenitiate between information and information carrier. Information carrier is material, information is information. So they just bind information to material carrier (reserve the right to copy to themself). But it does not work, because information can always be cloned without damage. However, this is not so damaging, because filming and coding are rather very different things. You cannot reuse some material when filming (scenes from other movies). You will need to go from scratch for every movie. This is why no one cares much about "opensourcing" a movie. "Freeware" movie is sufficient.
                              3) Opensource approach is to differenitiate between information and information carrier, also deferentiate between effort required to create information and actual result. This is why we have subscriptions, bidding on target or buying out. Define the amount of money you will need to implement the stuff that is needed, then collect the money, code and set it for free for reuse. And by the way, you will need considerably LESS money than coding as closed-source developer, because you are ALREADY free to reuse whichever exists before. You are not reinventing operating systems, but doing actual work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                                They live in Russia.
                                ..... and?

Comment

Working...
                                X