No announcement yet.

A Message From Valve's Gabe Newell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My recollection was that some of the state information affected how the shader was compiled, so the drivers had to do one of :

- precompile multiple flavours of the shader then switch in the appropriate version on state changes,
    - recompile shaders when state info is changed,
    - patch the shaders instead of recompiling when state info is changed

I'm not sure what the current driver behaviour is, but I imagine *one* of the above has to be happening.

Don't think this is necessarily <insert BUSTED sign from MythBusters> yet.
    Last edited by bridgman; 03-30-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

confirmed. This is not an april fools joke or any other joke.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So then this is great news!

Thank you Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          confirmed. This is not an april fools joke or any other joke.
          Dude. How can we just take your word for it? How did you "confirm" it?

Why doesn't Gabe Newell come out himself and say this on the valve blog?

He can't seriously expect that you wouldn't post something like this on the front page, can he? And that it would raise everyone's suspicions that there might be Source engine games coming to Linux (not talking about Steam but the engine itself)?

And if this is the case then why doesn't he just advertise publicly about his decision to support Linux, rather than letting Phoronix be the site to break the news?

Maybe the email is truly from Gabe Newell, but he's just trolling you (and by trolling you, also trolling all of your readers)?

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
            Dude. How can we just take your word for it? How did you "confirm" it?

Why doesn't Gabe Newell come out himself and say this on the valve blog?

He can't seriously expect that you wouldn't post something like this on the front page, can he? And that it would raise everyone's suspicions that there might be Source engine games coming to Linux (not talking about Steam but the engine itself)?

And if this is the case then why doesn't he just advertise publicly about his decision to support Linux, rather than letting Phoronix be the site to break the news?

Maybe the email is truly from Gabe Newell, but he's just trolling you (and by trolling you, also trolling all of your readers)?
            Here's some independent confirmation with mail headers from another Valve programmer on the Linux team - https://twitter.com/#!/michaellarabe...89740686118912 - Hoping he will give me some more information today.

After the 1st is over so people aren't confused and the doubters can lay this to rest, will try to convince them to go for it with visuals on Phoronix and/or something on their blog...
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              i do have a better Picture :

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                My recollection was that some of the state information affected how the shader was compiled, so the drivers had to do one of :

- precompile multiple flavours of the shader then switch in the appropriate version on state changes,
                - recompile shaders when state info is changed,
                - patch the shaders instead of recompiling when state info is changed

I'm not sure what the current driver behaviour is, but I imagine *one* of the above has to be happening.

Don't think this is necessarily <insert BUSTED sign from MythBusters> yet.
                bridgman what kind of states are you referring to? From my understanding with the programmable pipeline many states are no longer supported (the user is required to load the shader that supports the state change). Most of my experience is with the ES subset, so one case I can where your cases might apply is GL_BLEND. So if i change the blend equation is the driver then required to recompile my shaders? Or is this to support intermixing of old 1.X API with 2.X+ API with desktop drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Here's some independent confirmation with mail headers from another Valve programmer on the Linux team - https://twitter.com/#!/michaellarabe...89740686118912 - Hoping he will give me some more information today.

After the 1st is over so people aren't confused and the doubters can lay this to rest, will try to convince them to go for it with visuals on Phoronix and/or something on their blog...

Just Kidding Michael

Comment

Diet

Is Gabe looking for a diet for the shader compiler or for himself?
                    Netrunner Linux - Rolling Release ; Nexus 5 ROM Chroma 5.1 ; NAS 6TB on FreeNAS

Comment

April fools/troll or not, we all know who companies should turn to when they run into issues porting anything to linux: His name starts with i and ends in cculus.
                      Last edited by KameZero; 03-30-2012, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Another email has arrived
                        Michael Larabel

Comment

MojoShader... icculus... you guys... :wink: :wink: :nudge: :nudge:

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                            What servers and IP address range did this come from?

I'm betting someone's playing a joke on Michael for April Fools
                            ^ Winner winner chicken dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by KameZero View Post
                              April fools/troll or not, we all know who companies should turn to when they run into porting anything to linux: His name starts with i and ends in cculus.
                              Yeah, the same guy who hates the open source graphics drivers and thinks they'll never be good enough for gaming; the same guy who never delivered on UT3 for Linux; the same guy whose Linux "ports" check for specific OpenGL version strings (which are not required to say anything in particular per the OpenGL spec) and abort/crash the program if you don't have a "blessed" driver; and (my memory is foggy here) the same guy who wants a stable kernel ABI so he can promote shipping binary blobs by default in all the major distros.

I'll take proprietary games, in userspace, without DRM, without phoning home, provided that they are continuously maintained, provided that they explicitly support the open source drivers no matter how "limited" they may be, and whose engine is open sourced once the maintenance and/or revenue stops (a la Id Software).

But the proprietary buck stops there -- the defining characteristic of something that I think morally should be free software is in its general utility. You can call it "The General Utility Test". Of a particular work, I ask, "Is X work generally useful, and does its use by others impose no burden on its creator?"

Is a bitmap or texture or model of a specific character, in a specific game story generally useful? No -- it has a very limited, restricted use in reference to that story. The ways that using that character may be desired by the public are already permitted under free speech and are often exercised without legal action being taken.

Is a Lua script that causes a specific scripted in-game event, like a character walking down a street in response to the player arriving, generally useful? No -- it's basically artistic / domain-specific data, again, like the texture discussed above.

Is a 3d rendering engine with network code, engine infrastructure and generic ways to render meshes and create scripted scenes, generally useful? YES. Such a technology can be harmlessly copied and shared among an unlimited number of people, who can then put that to use to make their own applications or games.

Is a 3d graphics driver which interfaces with 3d hardware to render hardware-accelerated graphics, generally useful? YES. It can enable an unlimited number of varied applications that use the basic paradigm of 3d acceleration as a creative tool, a business tool, a consumer tool or a mix of all three.

So, as I see it, anyone who opposes open 3d graphics drivers or open 3d engines is an enemy of the FOSS movement and I wouldn't want them participating in such a potentially high-visibility project as Source games on Linux.

-1 to Icculus.

Comment

haha nice michael get steam-linux beta keys next week and the phoronix members will get a invitation to the steam beta yayyyy

next week is gaming time!

Comment

Working...
                                X