No announcement yet.

A Message From Valve's Gabe Newell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 4 does indeed support binary shader loading and retrieval, but there is no standard binary format. So GLSL sources still need to be available for the initial compilation.

Comment

• She's now reportedly up and running on the AMD blob.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
        She's now reportedly up and running on the AMD blob.
        she ? LOL its a lady ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
          she ? LOL its a lady ?
          yup, it's like a seafaring vessel or something.

Comment

It all makes sense now. If you're referring to the Steam Box...
            I can virtually see the case design based on parts of GLaDOS.

Just kidding.

Btw, I wonder what this job position is actually for:

Software Engineer—Firmware
            Do you like programming directly to the bare metal?
            If so, as a Valve firmware engineer you will write the code that brings all kinds of new devices to life.
            Your expertise in writing firmware that communicates via various protocols will let players interact with
            their games in ways they’ve never experienced before. By efficiently communicating between PC and hardware,
            the microcontroller code you write will be the backbone of various input and output devices.
            Last edited by entropy; 04-05-2012, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
              It all makes sense now. If you're referring to the Steam Box...
              I can virtually see the case design based on parts of GLaDOS.

Just kidding.

Btw, I wonder what this job position is actually for:
              makes me wish I was born a few years earlier, so I would be done with my ECE degree and apply.

Comment

• Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
                makes me wish I was born a few years earlier, so I would be done with my ECE degree and apply.
                Valve does not hire people fresh out of school, ever, aside from some very exceptional exceptions (e.g., the DigiPen grads that inspired Portal and Portal 2). You'd need to be born about 10 years earlier, have finished your degree, and then gone and made a name for yourself proving your talents, and then maybe Valve would consider even talking to you about an interview. Or have gone to DigiPen and made a truly innovative IGF-winning game while living a few blocks away from Valve's headquarters.

Comment

she being L4d or the steam client? Who reported this to you? More info please

Comment

• Originally posted by TripChoco View Post
                    she being L4d or the steam client? Who reported this to you? More info please
                    I doubt the Steam client would be too demanding on the GPU

Comment

• Simple question: if Valve employees are so eager and willing to share their supposed Linux plans with every chap who's able to peruse an e-mail client, and let them blare this information into the world, why then is there nothing official or at least semi-official? There's a big Linux thread at the Steam Users' Forums, where people are asking all the same questions. Nobody from Valve provides answers there. No renowned gaming website has picked up on this. And it's their frakkin' job to report "rumors".

If you want Steam on Linux, it's easier to take a dump on your computer than to wait for the prophecies of conspiracy theorists to become true.

Comment

Working...
                      X